Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts Alert: New Renn Shifter 914-6, 70-72 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
914Sixer
Saw this and I thought I would pass it along.
motofoto
Thanks for sharing!

FYI, this is the tailshift version. The parts to convert are $250 from Jwest. I was thinking of buying for mine, but probably not worth it.
mepstein
$200 is just the starting bid.
Steve
That's what i'm running with my 915/916 martin bott conversion. Shifts like a modern car.
Hoppie944s2
Says will fit side shift but I’m not sure this is correct. Can anyone confirm
motofoto
QUOTE(Hoppie944s2 @ May 24 2022, 07:07 PM) *

Says will fit side shift but I’m not sure this is correct. Can anyone confirm

I did. He provided a part # that is for the 911/tailshift 914.
mepstein
It’s obvious a tail shifter.
Hoppie944s2
I understand that but he indicated that it works with both
mepstein
QUOTE(Hoppie944s2 @ May 24 2022, 11:29 PM) *

I understand that but he indicated that it works with both

He’s wrong
realjobdon
to be fair what the seller has in the listing:
"PS This will be compatible with the early tail shifter or late side shifter 914 and now I forget which is which. Check with Pelican Parts for compatibility for your year 911 / 912 / 914"
Steve
QUOTE(realjobdon @ May 25 2022, 11:58 AM) *

to be fair what the seller has in the listing:
"PS This will be compatible with the early tail shifter or late side shifter 914 and now I forget which is which. Check with Pelican Parts for compatibility for your year 911 / 912 / 914"

It is compatible if you buy the $200.00 worth of parts to convert it. av-943.gif I had a sideshift rennshift and converted it to a tailshift 914/915. Totally different animal.
BTDT...
nditiz1
I have not owned one, but would like to after driving another members car.

The instructions just say you have to move over something from the old shifter as also stated by the seller. True or false? Where does the extra $200 come in?
mepstein
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 26 2022, 08:20 AM) *

The instructions just say you have to move over something from the old shifter as also stated by the seller. True or false? Where does the extra $200 come in?

If you have a side shifter, you have to move over the coupler and bushing that connects to the shift rod in the tunnel. It takes about 30 seconds to do.

If you have a side shifter and want a rennshifter, I would just buy it from JWest. I did and I’m very happy with it.
Steve
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ May 26 2022, 05:20 AM) *

The $200.00 is a different shift fork and some other part. The one pictured has a ball at the end of the shift fork versus a hole at the bottom where the bushing goes in.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Steve @ May 24 2022, 05:59 PM) *

That's what i'm running with my 915/916 martin bott conversion. Shifts like a modern car.

Do tell !
I'm running a '72 915/916 with a Martin Bott kit installed.
I'm using a '72 911 shifter (one year only item) which looks just like a 914 rear shifter
but has the reverse lockout on the right side of the mechanism.
What is the part number of your Jwest ?
What was your previous shifter ?
TIA
Rory
PS if nothing else the listing included interesting adjustment instructions.
I'd love to see and handle the Jwest parts.
I'm curious how it makes the action so much better.
Steve
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ May 28 2022, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ May 24 2022, 05:59 PM) *

Do tell !
I'm running a '72 915/916 with a Martin Bott kit installed.
I'm using a '72 911 shifter (one year only item) which looks just like a 914 rear shifter
but has the reverse lockout on the right side of the mechanism.
What is the part number of your Jwest ?
What was your previous shifter ?
TIA
Rory
PS if nothing else the listing included interesting adjustment instructions.
I'd love to see and handle the Jwest parts.
I'm curious how it makes the action so much better.

I tried the one year 72 911 shifter. It does work and is period correct 916, but it’s sloppy compared to the rennshift.
The 911 Jwest Rennshift is the same as this one. The reverse lockout is on the right side. What’s awesome about the rennshift and the Martin Bott 916, is that shifting from 2nd to 3rd is just pushing the shift lever up. The spring moves the shift lever to the 3rd and 4th gate by itself like a modern car. Plus the rennshift has a slightly shorter throw up and down and left and right. For a shift knob I’m running the 917 wooden shift knob.
You want the rennshift 911 72-86 shifter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.