Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Price Check
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I’m thinking of selling the transmission in Dads 914.

I rebuilt the original transmission to the car years ago with Dr Evil and it’s been in a box ever since.

The transmission currently in the car was commissioned by a fellow World member who planned to race.

It was built by HPH in the Bay Area with a new billet intermediate plate, and a ZF differential. Claims to have spent $7K on the transmission at the time. It has about 3k miles on it. Member was ppickerell.

Never raced or abused. The main reason it belongs elsewhere. Want to buy a drum kit with proceeds.

What should I ask for it?
brant
race tranny's like race cars, don't bring but a fraction of what they cost.

do you know the gears in it..?

you may want to pull the stack and take pictures for a curious buyer.

sorry I'm not help...
but there have been a few race boxes with diffs pass through the classifieds.

like other used things... about half the price of new... problem is the buyers pool is really small so that makes any sale harder.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(brant @ May 24 2022, 07:33 AM) *

race tranny's like race cars, don't bring but a fraction of what they cost.

do you know the gears in it..?

you may want to pull the stack and take pictures for a curious buyer.

sorry I'm not help...
but there have been a few race boxes with diffs pass through the classifieds.

like other used things... about half the price of new... problem is the buyers pool is really small so that makes any sale harder.

All good points. The gears are stock. The PO had it in a street car.

Is the ZF diff the same for the 911 folks or particular to the 914 914/6?
brant
the same as the 911 guys with 901 boxes... flipped, and with different gears.
but you might be able to part the box... pull the diff and sell it easily...

then you have the rest of the box parts to deal with...
I'd probably be interested in the intermediate plate if it was parted..
but more work and may not be as much money as a whole box

mb911
I might be semi interested as you hone in on a cost.
johnhora
Edward....I'm with Brant...for me in the past you do better selling as parts and not as hard and cheaper to ship parts....the ZF and intermediate plate will definitely sell and then you can see what shape the gears are in for selling.
Yeah it takes time but most folks already have cases just want or need more parts.
You already have some interest in parts....GLWTS
Steve
I sold one years ago and had a hard time selling it. Very limited market with guys that need it. I sold mine for the price of the parts. Guards LS $1500.00 + Billet plate $500.00 + rebuild trans = $2500.00. I would reach out to Dr. Evil, he might have some contacts. You might also have better luck than me, since the air cooled market now is crazy.
Otto's in Venice charged the previous owner $8k to build and install this trans with external cooler. That was back in 2009.
EdwardBlume
All good points and thanks again.

How rare are these?

Not much out there on 901 ZF and prices. I think I’ll pull the box when I can, verify the p/n on the flanges, and picture / see what I can see.

This might take awhile.

Here’s a link to the PO’s build description. I have the 2056 and 901 intact as built by HPH.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...67&hl=Build
brant
They are out there..
not super rare...
but not common either.

the racers often want a better designed, LSD
some of the current Aftermarket LSD's, can be set up with different ratio's of lock up and more features than the factory ZF.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.