Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 82 bmw 320i brakes on the 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeepguy06
Hey for the people who has done this did u end up with the pads too large it feels for the rotors. The pads I installed from ebs yellow street/race pads are too large and the top of the pad is curving around the top of the rotor and then on the lower side of the pad it's groving into the rotor where the surface area drops.
targa72e
I have 320 calipers on mine and the pads fit normally. My car is a 73 and did require machining to center the rotors.

john
porschetub
Thought they needed to be altered to suit..but don't remember fully,maybe it depends on year confused24.gif .
GregAmy
I'd have to look at mine to confirm, but IIRC the top/outer/OD edge of the pad hangs off the rotor a tad. That doesn't cause any problems.
willieg
A solution I have used is to redrill and tap the calipers mounting holes in the struts. Essentially the holes are drilled and tapped in the struts about 3/8” further in. Then the pads do not lap over the edge of the rotors. I don’t know how much more effective it is but it looks mo better.
Tdskip
The most recent '74 has 320i brakes and nothing out of the ordinary jumps out at me.
914Sixer
Please go to the Classic Threads and read up on Brake FAQ.Click to view attachment
IronHillRestorations
For later front struts, 1/8” has to be milled off the mounting surface of the calipers or the rotor isn’t centered and you won’t get both pads installed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.