Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O ring behind the front crankshaft seal revisited
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
I have 2 O rings that fit over the nose of the crankshaft behind the front seal. I see no purpose of this o ring as it just sits at the front of the crank shaft. What is it supposed to seal?Click to view attachment
mate914
It might keep moisture out....

Matt flag.gif
Pro American energy

QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 26 2022, 08:36 AM) *

I have 2 O rings that fit over the nose of the crankshaft behind the front seal. I see no purpose of this o ring as it just sits at the front of the crank shaft. What is it supposed to seal?Click to view attachment

Jake Raby
This O ring is critical. Without it oil will wick between the morse taper of the crankshaft and the crank hub. This results in oil being slung about in most cases.
You can't skip installing it.
Geezer914
Which o- ring is correct?
914fahrer
I hope this the correct one .The vw nummer is 021 105 279

Click to view attachment
ogdougy
I can say with quite a fare bit of confidence. That without this o-ring on the flywheel. The motor will piss oil at a good rate.

PO didn't install one. I lost a quart of oil pretty quick.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(ogdougy @ May 26 2022, 10:30 AM) *

I can say with quite a fare bit of confidence. That without this o-ring on the flywheel. The motor will piss oil at a good rate.

PO didn't install one. I lost a quart of oil pretty quick.

Yep..
Geezer914
Thanks everyone for the clarification. The thicker o-ring on the left is the correct one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.