Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with a thrust bearing/shim problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PCH
Hi All:

I ran into problem with my 1971 1.7 914. I developed a massive oil leak at the rear of the engine.

Removal of the engine revealed: a damaged rear thrust bearing, 2 deformed shims and 1 destroyed shim and a damaged oil seal.

The oil leak started very abruptly and without a warning. Any thoughts on what caused this failure? I certainly want to do what I can to prevent this sort of failure.Click to view attachment
Jake Raby
What's the history of this engine? Looks like the spring that tensions the rear main seal popped out, collected the end play shim, and created havoc.
PCH
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 26 2022, 02:27 PM) *

What's the history of this engine? Looks like the spring that tensions the rear main seal popped out, collected the end play shim, and created havoc.

The car is a daily driver and the engine has about 18,000 miles on it since being rebuilt.

About 2,000 to 3,000 miles ago, there was a strange self-readjustment of the clutch cable. Fixed that by replacing the clutch fork sleeve, clutch bearing guide and clutch fast plate. The clutch pedal has always felt really hard to press down but I don't know what a "normal" 914 clutch should feel like.

Front yard mechanic
Is the pressure plate a stock unit or heavy duty / racing style ? not on a t4 but my Toyota 4 banger I had a similar problem that was the extra pressure from the clutch would actually move the crank enough for the bearing shim to become dislodged. It two was ugly. Ended up tighting the clearance as much as possible on the rebuild 60,000 later all is still good. The clutch is still hard drunk.gif
rjames
Could the wrong shims/incorrect crankshaft endplay cause this?
mgphoto
Do you have a picture of the flywheel mating surface?
PCH
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ May 26 2022, 04:29 PM) *

Is the pressure plate a stock unit or heavy duty / racing style ? not on a t4 but my Toyota 4 banger I had a similar problem that was the extra pressure from the clutch would actually move the crank enough for the bearing shim to become dislodged. It two was ugly. Ended up tighting the clearance as much as possible on the rebuild 60,000 later all is still good. The clutch is still hard drunk.gif

I also thought I might have the wrong pressure plate. I checked and it looks to be correct. Its Sachs parts # is 308218331.
PCH
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 26 2022, 04:53 PM) *

Do you have a picture of the flywheel mating surface?

I am not with the car but will see about posting a pic when possible.
jmalone
Jake, I am so pleased to see you posting here more regularly! Thanks for sharing your hard won knowledge with us.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.