Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manifold vacuum under real world driving and decel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
emerygt350
After pbanders alerted me to the error in the decel diagrams, and I hooked the darn thing up correctly, I have been wondering what the actual vacuum while driving looks like for others.

I have a glowshift vacuum gauge on the dash (from tuning the MPS) and have been watching the max vacuum on decel, idle, cruise etc.

On a hot engine at 900 rpm idle I pull 17ish pounds. On decel 23ish pounds.

Hooked up my vacuum pump to the decel valve while idling and gave it some vacuum. No change in idle till 20ish, then increasing RPM from 20 to 28 pounds.

Bench testing the decel showed opening at 18 lbs.

I can't imagine many of you have a vacuum gauge on the dash but perhaps the bluetooth 123 records that kind of stuff?

73 2.0 djet.
Van B
Decel valve has a bit of a progression to it. That progressive opening is over a shorter span as you tighten it up more due to an aging valve spring.

I have a NOS and my original and the difference between starting to open and full open is 2 in-hg on the old one and 3 in-hg on the new one with both set to start opening at 20 in-hg. It’s also easy to predict the difference because the old one needs more turns in to resist until 20”.

I would say your valve is probably set to start opening at 18 and is fully open by 20.
mgphoto
My 123 has the vacuum hose hooked up but I’m not changing the advance or retard.

0 in Hg at part throttle to WOT I have a consistent 19 in Hg at idle
mgphoto
Spent some time today watching the vacuum gauge during a long ride.
Idle hot is 15in Hg part load is 4in Hg full load to WOT 0in Hg and long throttle braking (down hill 1/4 mile) 25in Hg.
D-Jet about 30k on a 10 year old build.
emerygt350
Interesting! I assume you have a decel valve?
mgphoto
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 28 2022, 04:05 PM) *

Interesting! I assume you have a decel valve?

No removed long ago.
emerygt350
Ahh, and where is that vacuum line hooked up? Tb or manifold?
GregAmy
Per my logs, 45.3 kPA typical at idle.

A brief scan for overrun situations shows 18.4-20.0 kPA.

3.5 to 5.1 degrees total ignition timing, adjusting to manage the idle at 900 RPM.

2056cc with FAT 440 "EFI" cam, D-Jet induction system managed by Microsquirt.
mgphoto
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ May 29 2022, 02:54 AM) *

Ahh, and where is that vacuum line hooked up? Tb or manifold?

Throttle body
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.