Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front End Rebuild - Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ctc911ctc
'74 2.0 - around 25K, all original

Well, I thought this would go back together simply, not a chance - so I have a few questions.

1. TAB WASHER - does this do anything? If it is intended to do anything, why do I find pictures of this thing UN-LOADED, or the tabs bending downward NOT upward. I installed this with the tabs upward, took some pressure to get the cotter pin into the holes......this seems correct, any thoughts? Also, does it really do anything? Really? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

2. Threaded Pin - I tried to get this thing in and it does not fit. Looking at the picture I bought ball-joints for up to '72! HOWEVER, the ball joints I purchased on the BirdSite are specified to fit on a '74. They do fit. HOWEVER, the Threaded pin does not.

To make this MORE interesting, the AutoAtlanta website description details that their theaded pin is for '72 and later......... confused24.gif

QUESTION: Do I buy an older theaded pin? Do I grind the marks on the one I have to make it fit? NOTE: there are two marks from where the pin is meeting the curve of the ball joint..... blink.gif

Click to view attachment

I SHOULD HAVE POWDER COATED EVERYTHING! headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Shivers
Those ball joints may be for the pinch bolts 68-71
914werke
The lock plate works by bending the tabs up into the machined slots.
There are two (2) main types of strut housing, early/late with corresponding ball joints & hardware.
Your 74 should have LATE unless a PO changed it out for some reason
The Pin in your image is for a late strut/ball joint combo.
The Ball joint is for early
You need the right ball joints
Literati914
[/quote]…there are two marks from where the pin is meeting the curve of the ball joint..... blink.gif
[/quote]

If the ball joints that you purchased have a “curve” where you think the pin runs thru, then you have the wrong ball joints. The pin type ball joints will have more of a “V” shaped recess to accept the pin (which is of an angular nature, not round).

If you’re setup was already using the angular pin, the you need the matching ball joints. The pin set up is later ball joints. Ball joints with a curved recess are designed for the “pinch bolt” earlier style struts (which have a small vertical cut/gap at the bottom tip of the strut).

ctc911ctc
Thank you for the assistance - YES, I ordered the wrong part - HOWEVER- I am pretty certain that I selected the RIGHT part. Wen through the waterfall selection - Porche -> 74 -> 914 -> 2.0 .....etc,,,,,

It was fulfilled through Rennlist THOUGH the part is packaged by Pelican......yow,,,,,

QUESTION - Everything fits perfectly with the exception of the threaded bolt, is there a 70/71 bolt that would fit? is the V the only difference?

This seems to be the setup, though the bolt looks like a V and the Ball Joint has a rounded NOT V Shaft............intersting.

Click to view attachment
914werke
QUOTE(914werke @ May 29 2022, 10:14 AM) *
"The Ball joint is for early
You need the right ball joints"

confused24.gif
rhodyguy
The fastener should not stick out of the strut as in the first picture. Do not attempt to draw the correct V shaped bolt in with a ratchet. Good chance you'll twist it off. Then you're dead in the water until the replacement arrives. Drive it in with a smooth faced hammer and use a torque wrench to tighten the nut.
Literati914
QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ May 29 2022, 02:06 PM) *

QUESTION - …, is there a 70/71 bolt that would fit? is the V the only difference?

No a bolt of any kind would not work, because as I mentioned, there is a cut/gap at the bottom tip of early struts (which you don’t have) - that gap is crucial for proper clamping. Apparently that set up would occasionally oval out the hole (that the ball joint fits in), so Porsche upgraded to the wedge pin design (that you have).

mepstein
If your ball joint has a semi circle it’s early and DOES NOT WORK with the wedge pin. Don’t try it. Don’t hammer it. Don’t tighten it or grind it.

The semi circle ball joint works with a pinch bolt strut. Vertical slit at bottom of strut.
The wedge type ball joint works with a pin type strut. No vertical slit or gap on the bottom of the strut body.

Regardless of what the pelican parts catalog says (it’s not always right) the above is all that matters.

The description on label is completely wrong for that pin.
mepstein
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 29 2022, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(ctc911ctc @ May 29 2022, 02:06 PM) *

QUESTION - …, is there a 70/71 bolt that would fit? is the V the only difference?

No a bolt of any kind would not work, because as I mentioned, there is a cut/gap at the bottom tip of early struts (which you don’t have) - that gap is crucial for proper clamping. Apparently that set up would occasionally oval out the hole (that the ball joint fits in), so Porsche upgraded to the wedge pin design (that you have).

The pinch bolt struts work fine unless the pinch bolt loosens and the car continues to get driven. Once it’s loose, it moves around and wallows out the hole. Then it’s pretty much ruined.
Superhawk996
Swap to proper late - wedge ball joints.

Suspension is not the place for jury rigging.

I'd then take up a return authorization with the folks that sold you the wrong parts since you appear to have done the drill down for 74' (late) parts yet they sent you early parts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.