Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail Shift Selector Rod Seal Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RandyE
Does anyone know a good way to change the selector rod seal on the tail shift transmission? I want to change the oil seal. I removed the plate below the rod, and i see what appears to be a dowel pin holding the rod in place but the selector rod will not rotate enough to get a clear shot to hammer out that pin. Any thoughts?
QUOTE(RandyE @ May 29 2022, 04:22 PM) *

Does anyone know a good way to change the selector rod seal on the tail shift transmission? I want to change the oil seal. I removed the plate below the rod, and i see what appears to be a dowel pin holding the rod in place but the selector rod will not rotate enough to get a clear shot to hammer out that pin. Any thoughts?

if your rear wheels are off the ground it's easy enough to shift the tranny by hand. one of the gears allows you rotate the shaft think it's 3rd or 5th. been awhile since. pin only comes out one way measure the pin and make sure you have enough room for it come all the way out. on my first attempt i drove it out wrong way it hit sidewall, no way to put it back in and its hardened steel. had to cut it off very delicate and time consuming. also make sure you have the exact seal needed or you'll be doing it again.Check AAA hard parts diagrams very helpful good luck hope this helps
RandyE
QUOTE(914043 @ May 29 2022, 05:06 PM) *

QUOTE(RandyE @ May 29 2022, 04:22 PM) *

if your rear wheels are off the ground it's easy enough to shift the tranny by hand. one of the gears allows you rotate the shaft think it's 3rd or 5th. been awhile since. pin only comes out one way measure the pin and make sure you have enough room for it come all the way out. on my first attempt i drove it out wrong way it hit sidewall, no way to put it back in and its hardened steel. had to cut it off very delicate and time consuming. also make sure you have the exact seal needed or you'll be doing it again.Check AAA hard parts diagrams very helpful good luck hope this helps

Thank you for the info! I actually have the transmission out of the car, separated from the engine and upside down. Are you ususually able to resuse the pin? I am not sure if the transmission is leaking from that seal, or if the tranmission is in need of a total rebuild (havent driven the car yet) but after rebuiding the engine i figured it would be good to atleast change all the oil seals on the tranny.
RandyE
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

i see what you mean about the pin only being driven out one way since the rod is offset in its "viewing window". I still can't find a shift position which orients the pin in a good spot to drive out though
mgphoto
Since the transmission is out the rear cover is easy to remove, pull off the cover, keep all the parts in order.
Once the shift rod is disengaged the pin can be rotated and immobilized for removal. Pin is a standardized part.
RandyE
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 29 2022, 07:13 PM) *

Since the transmission is out the rear cover is easy to remove, pull off the cover, keep all the parts in order.
Once the shift rod is disengaged the pin can be rotated and immobilized for removal. Pin is a standardized part.

Thank you for your help! Do you know if it is common for the seals to go bad and leak on these transmissions? Just trying to make up my mind if i should replace it or not. I bought a complete seal/gasket kit...
RandyE
QUOTE(RandyE @ May 29 2022, 07:36 PM) *

Thank you for your help! Do you know if it is common for the seals to go bad and leak on these transmissions? Just trying to make up my mind if i should replace it or not. I bought a complete seal/gasket kit...

Sorry i meant to say the shift rod seal in particular. I have already replaced the other three exterior oil seals. Thanks!
QUOTE(RandyE @ May 29 2022, 07:38 PM) *

Sorry i meant to say the shift rod seal in particular. I have already replaced the other three exterior oil seals. Thanks!

I'm sorry I assumed the tail shifter trans was the same in a six as a four,yours looks completely different than mine.
RandyE
QUOTE(914043 @ May 29 2022, 09:07 PM) *

I'm sorry I assumed the tail shifter trans was the same in a six as a four,yours looks completely different than mine.

No problem, thanks for your help though
mgphoto
QUOTE(914043 @ May 29 2022, 09:07 PM) *

The rear cover and selector lever are pretty much the only difference from 4 to 6 other than some gearing.
mgphoto
You should also replace the o-ring and seal in the speedo drive.
RandyE
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 30 2022, 08:15 AM) *

You should also replace the o-ring and seal in the speedo drive.

The elring kit i bought had the o-ring, which i replaced, but not the internal washer seal
mgphoto
999.113.036.50 BA 10 x 18 x 6

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Drive-Gea...-76-p20699.html
RandyE
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 30 2022, 02:28 PM) *

oh, cool. Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.