Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trip Meter Reset Cable Hardware
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NARP74
My trip reset cable is just hanging under the dash. It does not have any hardware on it. From looking at tons of pics, none clearly show what I need. But my guess is that I need a plastic grommet that holds the cable in the mounting hole under the dash and then a push on knob once the cable is fixed to the dash.

Is that correct? It is for a 74 so a late style cable, no knurled knob etc.
Is that plastic piece the same as the one that holds the other end of the cable in the speedo end?
Do they still make those parts? Am I stuck trying to find parts that don't exist because they were never put back on after dash work?
Does Dorman make anything that will work?

New question
Are the early v late the same length?

Thanks
mgphoto
What you need is access to the PET, the Porsche parts book in pdf format, you can keep a copy on your smartphone.
It is viewable on line that will give you the correct hardware, some part numbers are still available from Porsche.
You can cross reference sizes to find parts from local sources like doorman.
Once you have the part number you can do a google search you might find what you are looking for.

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf
76-914
QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 30 2022, 07:44 AM) *

My trip reset cable is just hanging under the dash. It does not have any hardware on it. From looking at tons of pics, none clearly show what I need. But my guess is that I need a plastic grommet that holds the cable in the mounting hole under the dash and then a push on knob once the cable is fixed to the dash.

Is that plastic piece the same as the one that holds the other end of the cable in the speedo end?
Do they still make those parts? Am I stuck trying to find parts that don't exist because they were never put back on after dash work?

Thanks

This might help

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
NARP74
From what I have found, that last pic is for the early style. That is what I thought I needed until I got an early cable with 1 pc of hardware on it and compared to what I have. It was not the same. Documentation and pics are sketchy on the later style. People seem to use them interchangably but I do not think they are. I will take a look at the PET, but I have not always had the best luck deciphering info displayed there either.
NARP74
Looked through a PET I had, found a part number for the knob, 914 641 121 00, no pic in the PET. It is NLA from my searches. No pic or info on the rest cable in the PET that I have found yet.
NARP74
Early on the right, late on the left. The late part is missing a mounting piece that fixes it in the hole under the dash. I saw another pic of it online, I will look for it and post if I find it.Click to view attachment
NARP74
Here is the one pic I was looking for. I don't see info on this mounting part mentioned at all. Everyone just goes back to the older style and assumes it is the same for both.Click to view attachment
NARP74
In the PET the cable looks like it is considered part of the speedo and does not get a separate mention as a subassembly.
NARP74
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 30 2022, 09:00 AM) *

What you need is access to the PET, the Porsche parts book in pdf format, you can keep a copy on your smartphone.
It is viewable on line that will give you the correct hardware, some part numbers are still available from Porsche.
You can cross reference sizes to find parts from local sources like doorman.
Once you have the part number you can do a google search you might find what you are looking for.

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...914_KATALOG.pdf

So the PET did not help this time around, thanks for the suggestion. I should have gone there first.
NARP74
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 30 2022, 09:07 AM) *

Thanks

This might help

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the early style, I need the later style hardware at the dash end. Don't know what it is or where to find it.
NARP74
Bump to get some new eyes on it, hopefully
mgphoto
QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 30 2022, 04:35 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 30 2022, 09:07 AM) *

Thanks

This might help

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the early style, I need the later style hardware at the dash end. Don't know what it is or where to find it.

I know the early knob is a 911 part carried over to the 914, there was a lot of cost cutting by Porsche at the time introducing more plastic parts you might check the 911 pet, or check with some 911 owners.
Keep searching the parts are out there.
NARP74
That makes sense, I am finding more info on the 911/914 early ones than the later style.

This is definitely a cost saving effort. The hardware used on the early one is way more expensive and more complicated than the later one. I just need info on the dash mount grommet. I can probably find a push on knob that will work at a hardware store.

If the lengths are the same, I'll just switch to the early one if I can find it. I have seen some going for stupid money on fleabay.
76-914
You might be better off cross posting this in the "Originality and History Forum". I've gotten some great OEM answers there. beerchug.gif
914werke
QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 31 2022, 08:28 AM) *

That makes sense, I am finding more info on the 911/914 early ones than the later style.

This is definitely a cost saving effort. The hardware used on the early one is way more expensive and more complicated than the later one. I just need info on the dash mount grommet. I can probably find a push on knob that will work at a hardware store.

If the lengths are the same, I'll just switch to the early one if I can find it. I have seen some going for stupid money on fleabay.

They are not the same lenght.
What Ive found is the Late ver. tend to be shorter.
Geezer914
How do you remove the late version? Is there a nut behind the knob on the other side of the sheet metal?
mgphoto
You might consider an electronics shop, vintage radio knob might work.
NARP74
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ May 31 2022, 12:33 PM) *

How do you remove the late version? Is there a nut behind the knob on the other side of the sheet metal?

No nut that I can tell, that was part of the cost saving. Once you pull the knob off, you should be looking at the same thing that holds the other end in the speedometer. I would use small needle nose pliers to compress the fingers of the plastic holder, or maybe a small socket pushed up against it to push it through the dash hole.

I would be happy to figure something out if only I could get one and install it! Some of this is still theory I am trying to verify.
NARP74
QUOTE(mgphoto @ May 31 2022, 12:39 PM) *

You might consider an electronics shop, vintage radio knob might work.

True, I am hoping it is a standard of sorts, D shaft fitting.
914werke
QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 31 2022, 12:22 PM) *
I would be happy to figure something out if only I could get one and install it!

confused24.gif
You mean like THIS
NARP74
QUOTE(914werke @ May 31 2022, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 31 2022, 12:22 PM) *
I would be happy to figure something out if only I could get one and install it!

confused24.gif
You mean like THIS

Well that answers another question, it does look like the early version is longer than the later version.

I still think you are missing a piece on the late style cable at the knob end. As I think about it, they are probably broken when removing them or they are still stuck in the hole in the under side of the dash so you never see them on the cable.

It looks like both cables are labeled as late in the picture descriptions when I downloaded them.
Root_Werks
I noticed when putting my 914 dash back together, my cable (late style) doesn't have a knob or any hardware on the dash side. Not like it doesn't work and seems to stay put in the little hole.

The early version looks more engineered ($$$).
914werke
QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 31 2022, 03:08 PM) *
I still think you are missing a piece on the late style cable at the knob end.

Nope that's all there is.
A simple plastic ferrule that snaps into the dash frame where the end pokes thru & a friction fit of the plastic knob.
You are overthinking it. laugh.gif
All it has to do is twist the gear in the gauge, It would work dangling. smile.gif
NARP74
I think it is a lot easier to lose the cheap plastic parts on the later one when doing any work on the dash or the speedo, that is why they are hard to find.

The early ones were way more engineered, German style and harder to get apart, more substantial and harder to lose things. You cared about all of those parts so you made an effort to keep them.
NARP74
QUOTE(914werke @ May 31 2022, 04:24 PM) *

A simple plastic ferrule that snaps into the dash frame where the end pokes thru & a friction fit of the plastic knob.
All it has to do is twist the gear in the gauge, It would work dangling. smile.gif

It is that ferrule, I called it a grommet that I am looking for. I get it. What I wanted to see was that grommet connected to the whole cable assembly for sale. I don't think those ferrules are still in the cars like they should be, mine for instance. Popped out, broken, rotted, whatever, they are gone from a lot of cars I have looked at. I can probably find a knob to work, I have not been able to find that ferrule.
NARP74
Has anyone ever found a replacement for that ferrule grommet?
Is it the same as the other end that connects to the speedometer?
I will go to a few auto parts stores and look through the Dorman section to see if I can find anything.
NARP74
After measuring all that I could based on what I have to look at, I have decided that the grommet is what I need. The hole in the dash of my 74 is approx 8mm where the knob end of the reset cable goes. The inner part of the grommet that connects to the speedo end is approx 8mm. I don't have a speedo to measure easily but I bet that hole is also 8mm. The part of the early cable that goes into the dash hole is also approx 8mm. I'm seeing a pattern here.

It looks like what the company did was use the same grommet for both ends on the later style reset cable. That part was supposed to stay in the hole in the car. Mine is not. So the big finale is that I need the part shown in the pic, they were in white for the early or black, I think for the late. I don't care, either one will do.

Does anyone know where I can get one, or do you have a few laying around from scrapped cars? I'll post in WTB later.Click to view attachment
barefoot
QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 31 2022, 10:53 AM) *

I apparently have the early style I bought on this site on my 76, works just fine.
Barefoot
NARP74
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 3 2022, 06:46 AM) *

QUOTE(NARP74 @ May 31 2022, 10:53 AM) *

I apparently have the early style I bought on this site on my 76, works just fine.
Barefoot

That's what I might have to do. They are a little longer too.
porschetub
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 1 2022, 10:24 AM) *

agree.gif no big deal really ,mine hang down by not much ,when I changed to metric speedo I never refitted it,anyway whatever "floats your boat" @ the end of the day.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.