Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
johnmhudson111
Ok, tires are kind of like computers, what you have is outdated, obsolete, etc. by what is comming out.... unsure.gif

So that brings me to the question, what is the current "hot" tire for the street and some autocrossing. Going to put them on 16x7 fuchs and if I remember correctly 205/55 16 is the recommended size.
Aaron Cox
see if they make azenis in a 205/50 16. i have the 15" version, sticks like glue.
kumho makes some decent tires too....
nebreitling
falken azenis RT-615.

they make 'em in a 205/40/16 (yes, 40)

http://www.vulcantire.com/
ChrisReale
Damn, I thought that Azenis were cheap. They are asking $90 per tire now. Weren't they a little cheaper a few months back?? They are still reasonable tho, I guess...
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Aug 3 2005, 02:59 PM)
falken azenis RT-615.

they make 'em in a 205/40/16 (yes, 40)

http://www.vulcantire.com/

40s??? Isn't that a rather odd size? It doesn't look like they have a 205/55 dry.gif

I have been looking at Kumhos, I had a set on my C5, they were a bit LOUD until they warmed up. Good tire tho...

Thanks! Keep the info comming....

MattR
With tires, you get what you pay for. Buy a decent tire. Bridgestone makes some good rubber, and so does BF Goodrich. Check out tirerack.com and get whats within your budget.
Britain Smith
My car will be sporting a set of the new Falken RT-615's in 205/40/16's!! It gives approximately the same rolling diameter as a set of 205/50/15's.

-Britain
tat2dphreak
if Falkens are 90, I'd pay $10-20 more and get BFG g-force T/A KDW...
nebreitling
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 3 2005, 12:45 PM)
if Falkens are 90, I'd pay $10-20 more and get BFG g-force T/A KDW...

i wouldn't. falkens are a higher performing tire -- looks at what the STS guys are running. wear might not be comparable, though.
Allan
I bought these. $300.00 delivered.
johnmhudson111
QUOTE (MattR @ Aug 3 2005, 03:40 PM)
With tires, you get what you pay for. Buy a decent tire. Bridgestone makes some good rubber, and so does BF Goodrich. Check out tirerack.com and get whats within your budget.

Was thinking about Kumho along the lines of the ECSTA MX to give a good mix to AX and street performance. If I had 2 complete sets of wheels I could look at the AX only tires...
TonyAKAVW
Just last friday I had a set of Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212 tires (195/50/15) installed and they are VERY sticky. Grassroots Motorsports rated them #4 for autocross tires after the Azenis 615, the Azenis 215, and the Yokohoma Advan Neova (or something like that). At $64 a piece from discounttiredirect, they seem to be a pretty good deal.

-Tony
grantsfo
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Aug 3 2005, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 3 2005, 12:45 PM)
if Falkens are 90, I'd pay $10-20  more and get BFG g-force T/A KDW...

i wouldn't. falkens are a higher performing tire -- looks at what the STS guys are running. wear might not be comparable, though.

I agree on my Boxster I replaced my very expensive Bridgestone S03's with the RT615's and the Falkens out grip those tires by a wide margin. They ride the same too. My wife noticed a big differnce too.

Both Falken and Hankook are doing a great job with with their Street/AX tires. I'm surprized no one else has stepped in to challenge them.

OH yeah. Edge racing typically has Hankkook and Falken Street/AX tires and very competitive pricing: http://www.edgeracing.com
nebreitling
i've got the ecsta 712's as street tires. they're okay, i guess (i don't really care about my street tires anymore, car rarely runs on public roads). too hard a compound for our cars imho. i've had them for 2 years now, put 6 AX's on them, and have spent hours on makeshift skidpads with them dialing the car in at different times,,,,,, massive neg camber. trust me, i've abused these tires, and i can't get the fuckers to wear at all. they'll go for another 4 or 5 years at this pace.

so they're okay for a reasonable performing street tire, but they just don't bite like other tires. of course, i consider victoracers good street tires, so ymmv
nebreitling
QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Aug 3 2005, 01:33 PM)
If I had 2 complete sets of wheels I could look at the AX only tires...

then you should definitely get the falkens. from everyone i've talked to, they are the best dual-purpose tire out there.
redshift
P7s man! Oh yeah!

rolleyes.gif

M
jhadler
Tires, tires, tires!!!

Falken's are pretty much the best bang for the buck. -BUT- it totally matters what you want from the tires. Do you want a street tire that'll be fun on the street and good for the occasional A/X? Or is it a street tire that serves regular double duty on the track? The two will yield different tires...

The Falken's are great for small, light weight, low power cars. They're relatively cheap (although the 615's a remore expensive), and handle very well. However, put them on a heavier car, or take them on the track, and they'll suck in very short order. The Falken's have very poor temperature characteristics. Even at an A/X, they will overheat on anything but a light weight Civic on a 70 degree day. It's not that the tire will fall apart or anything, but the grip will fade quickly. On the track, you're good for a lap or two, then it's greasy city...

The BFG is a great street tire for the track as they handle temperature much better. But they cost -alot- more than the Falken's.

The Yoko is a nice tire, but I haven't seen too much info on it.

The Kumho MX is a nice sticky street tire, and can be fun at the track (will handle heat better than the Falken), but the sidewalls are very soft compared to the Falken and BFG, and that equates to sloppy handling. Especially at an A/X where transitions are everything.

Just my 0.02...

-Josh2
grantsfo
QUOTE (jhadler @ Aug 3 2005, 02:26 PM)
Tires, tires, tires!!!

Falken's are pretty much the best bang for the buck. -BUT- it totally matters what you want from the tires. Do you want a street tire that'll be fun on the street and good for the occasional A/X? Or is it a street tire that serves regular double duty on the track? The two will yield different tires...

The Falken's are great for small, light weight, low power cars. They're relatively cheap (although the 615's a remore expensive), and handle very well. However, put them on a heavier car, or take them on the track, and they'll suck in very short order. The Falken's have very poor temperature characteristics. Even at an A/X, they will overheat on anything but a light weight Civic on a 70 degree day. It's not that the tire will fall apart or anything, but the grip will fade quickly. On the track, you're good for a lap or two, then it's greasy city...

The BFG is a great street tire for the track as they handle temperature much better. But they cost -alot- more than the Falken's.

The Yoko is a nice tire, but I haven't seen too much info on it.

The Kumho MX is a nice sticky street tire, and can be fun at the track (will handle heat better than the Falken), but the sidewalls are very soft compared to the Falken and BFG, and that equates to sloppy handling. Especially at an A/X where transitions are everything.

Just my 0.02...

-Josh2

I have heard about the old Falken Azenis Sport RT215's getting greasy on hot track days or heavy cars. I never expereinced that with the old Falkens at AX's on the 914 or my Echo. The new RT615 is supposed to have much better heat characteristics and is supposed to be designed to be better on larger cars. I havent had any problem with the new Azenis Sports on my 3500lb Audi.

I had an extended mountain run in my Boxster this past week and the Falkens never felt greasy. I'm sure they would be a great AX tire and would be intersted to see how these new Azenis Sports hold up on the track. But given that most people use them for street and occasional AX they fit the bill very nicely for me on all 4 of my cars.

Here is the GRM tests of some of the tires we have been takling about:

user posted image
johnmhudson111
Ok, this is about the only place I have found the Falkens, $81 per tire isn't bad.

Tire

Now the Hankook tire at $78 per tire.

Hankook

Now for the $3 difference I am betting that the Falkens are the one to go with.

Thanks! mueba.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.