Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I need new rotors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
While taking wheels off to get new tires put on to hopefully be able to get it to a restoration shop, wanted to get some experienced eyes on my rotor situation. Are these any good?

Superhawk996
Short easy answer - yes buy new rotors.

Hard to tell from photo but if there is any grooving (looks like it to me), you will want new rotors. Potentially can be turned on brake lathe if they aren't at minimum thickness.

Two problems with that:

1) Cost to turn them may be very close to cost to replace them. Depends on your local economics.

2) As rotors get turned, they get thinner, and therefore more prone to developing brake disc thickness variation, and/or warping in the future depending on your driving style and the type of pads that are used.

If you're broke and just trying to get by, drive them some and see how much they clean up on their own. Light rust in and of itself is not a problem. It will clean off after some driving.
stateofidleness
Ok cool. I'll plan to replace. So dumb question... are "new" ones available, or is it only used ones and hoping to find a good set?
stateofidleness
Oops.. sorry for double post. Not sure how to delete a reply.
scallyk9
New ones are available. I had been advised to get "frozen rotors" by a mechanic who prepares vintage race cars and bought a set from a company called Cryogenics something or other...just do a search for Frozen Rotors. I had them groove them for a small extra charge. They have been excellent for the street and track days.
Superhawk996
Save your money - you don’t need cryogenic rotors or slotted rotors

PMB has what you need. Support the vendors that support the 914 community. PMB = good folks.

https://m.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item/1...563/4747407.htm
stateofidleness
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ May 30 2022, 03:58 PM) *

Save your money - you don’t need cryogenic rotors or slotted rotors

PMB has what you need. Support the vendors that support the 914 community. PMB = good folks.

https://m.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item/1...563/4747407.htm

Right on! Bookmarked. Thanks for the info!
bbrock
I replaced my rear rotors with SEBRO from PMB but had my fronts turned at my FLAPS. The fronts had shallow grooves. Having them turned saved quite a bit of money. I think it only cost like 12 bucks for the pair. Maybe more but it was less than half the price of buying new. Turns out there is a lot of extra meat on the original rotors so I didn't come close to the wear limit. I just pulled wheels off yesterday to inspect after 3K miles running the rotors and they look great. I've cooked the stromberg.gif out of them too but no signs of warping so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.