Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Silver and Black Plating items
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
I’m trying to make a list/pile of items on the 914 that will get clear zinc coated instead of yellow. Or even some that might just look better done that way (in your opinion), doesn’t necessarily have to be factory .. For instance the seat adjuster arm is gonna be silver/clear - are there any others?

Same goes for black zinc coating… I thought I remember reading something getting this treatment - brake caliper bolts maybe? Anything you guys can think of?

bdstone914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 30 2022, 10:58 PM) *

I’m trying to make a list/pile of items on the 914 that will get clear zinc coated instead of yellow. Or even some that might just look better done that way (in your opinion), doesn’t necessarily have to be factory .. For instance the seat adjuster arm is gonna be silver/clear - are there any others?

Same goes for black zinc coating… I thought I remember reading something getting this treatment - brake caliper bolts maybe? Anything you guys can think of?

The door striker plates are clear zinc.
I dont know if the caliper bolts were black oxide or not. The three trailing arm bracket bolts were also clear zinc.

I think most parts look better in yellow zinc.
mepstein
Door stays are clear
friethmiller
I know you're looking for a list of clear plated items but don't forget the door bolts. These were the only bolts I cleaned and re-plated with yellow chromate on my build. They have pointed ends and I don't think you can buy them aftermarket. I did the door striker plates in blue-chromate (clear).

Update: just found my photo of what I did in blue-chromate. I did the two springs on the pedal cluster, as well.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(friethmiller @ May 31 2022, 02:38 PM) *

I know you're looking for a list of clear plated items but don't forget the door bolts. These were the only bolts I cleaned and re-plated with yellow chromate on my build. They have pointed ends and I don't think you can buy them aftermarket. I did the door striker plates in blue-chromate (clear).

Update: just found my photo of what I did in blue-chromate. I did the two springs on the pedal cluster, as well.

Click to view attachment

I found out the door bolts were only pointed on early cars.
Literati914
All great info, thanks guys & keep ‘em coming!

I was thinking the metal runners attached to the bottom underside of seats are probably clear zinced also.

What about the strap/bracket that attaches the carbon canister to the top of fuel tank? ..or possibly the small rounded triangles that secure the headlight assemblies to the buckets (visible from inside the frunk)? Grease caps @ the hubs? Good candidates for clear?

As for black zinc, I remember now that I got that idea from Kevin @puebloswatcop who mentioned it in his build thread, for some caliper specialty bolts that he’s planning to do - and I thought was a great idea [I steal so many ideas from That guy! shades.gif ]. I may add the thin adjusting throttle rod to the black zinc pile too.

bdstone914
QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 31 2022, 12:30 PM) *

I was thinking the metal runners attached to the bottom underside of seats are probably clear zinced also.

What about the strap/bracket that attaches the carbon canister to the top of fuel tank? ..or possibly the small rounded triangles that secure the headlight assemblies to the buckets (visible from inside the frunk)? Grease caps @ the hubs? Good candidates for clear?

As for black zinc, I remember now that I got that idea from Kevin @puebloswatcop who mentioned it in his build thread, for some caliper specialty bolts that he’s planning to do - and I thought was a great idea [I steal so many ideas from That guy! shades.gif ]. I may add the thin adjusting throttle rod to the black zinc pile too.

Only the early headlight pivots are steel and can be plated. The early ones have a rounded tip. The later ones are zinc with a beveled tip and you will destroy them if you try to plate them.
Literati914
I’m also considering the Repa seatbelt bolts for clear instead of the stock yellow, it kinda makes more since to me for interior hardware, though I understand it wouldn’t be stock.

mepstein
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ May 31 2022, 03:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Literati914 @ May 31 2022, 12:30 PM) *

Only the early headlight pivots are steel and can be plated. The early ones have a rounded tip. The later ones are zinc with a beveled tip and you will destroy them if you try to plate them.

Yep, I learned my lesson on that one. biggrin.gif
bbrock
Not that I'm OCD or anything, but here are the black and clear zinc items I cataloged when doing the plating on my car. Oh, and how deep do you want to go? The little tension sleeves on brake pad retention pins should be black. Nope, not OCD at all whistle[1].gif

Click to view attachment
bbrock
I few things not on my list. Cigar lighter retaining ring, brake caliper bolts and nuts, brake line retaining clips, various circlips, and upper targa trim clips. Can't remember there that large circlip went.
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.