Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red Heater Control Knob Restoration - DIY
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jrmdir
Hi:

Finally got around to doing this nice visual upgrade. I've used this method in the past on a 911 and an old Jag shift knob. It takes some patient scribe work but turned out to be a very durable solution over time. I know I could have just purchased a repo but the ones that are out there are slightly different from my original. And, besides, what's the fun in buying something when I can donate another hour and a half of my life to a 914 project that no one but me and a few other people will never notice? smile.gif

Notes follow the photos for those who are interested.

Ron

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Notes:

1) The Xacto blade I used had a slightly broken (flattened) tip. A tiny screwdriver or pick would be good as well. A lot of the white paint pops out cleanly but in other areas you need to work hard to coax it all out.

2) I used Krylon Banner Red paint from Lowes, FYI. Take time and care to do very light coats and let them dry between passes. And then let it dry for at least 24 hours.

3) I had the old tub of spackling compound complete with some semi-dried globs so I used the thicker material and just smeared it all around. After a few minutes its easy to wipe off the excess and film with a damp/wet cloth.

4) After another day or so I sprayed on a light coat of automotive clear coat.

Ron
StarBear
Neat! Love it! Thanks for sharing.
Puebloswatcop
Nice work Rob. And I agree, a little bit of time to restore original parts vs buying reproduction items is time well spent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.