Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 aftermarket air filters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
I have been having quite the time trying to get non-stock air filters to fit inside the engine bay. The 4,5,6 side has no issues, but the 1,2,3 is hitting the trunk lip. I have cut some of the seal away (smh new seal) to get it to fit. I just ordered what I thought were a new set of k&N for $220 only to find out it was one. This setup is a little slimmer than the aluminum K&N by about a 1/4 inch. So it might work, I just hate dropping $440 on a set of pods when I have a set of pods.

What are most doing for this? I saw ITG has a pair for under $400, but they look barf.gif

I don't even know how rain hats would even fit, but I'm sure I have seen some. I know Ben is running clear plastic tops which look to fit just under the lip. I am running the mad dog OEM mount. My carbs sit a little taller due to phelonic spacers. Are people running a slimmer profile filter?

Edit: Running Zeniths
rgalla9146

real 6 or conversion ?
nditiz1
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 1 2022, 04:26 PM) *

real 6 or conversion ?

Conversion, is there something different on a real 6?
mb911
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 1 2022, 03:29 PM) *

real 6 or conversion ?

I am running PMO hats but rix 914 parts has a cool clear rain hat for a 6. That would be my dream. I run stock intakes just and FYI.
mb911
Here is what I would like to run.

https://www.rix914parts.com/store/p34/RIX_C...r%29-Clear.html

With a paper element as well not cotton.
nditiz1
How close is your 1,2,3 to the lip of the trunk? Maybe my engine needs to sit a 1/4 inch lower to have it be under the lip. It looks pretty good regarding the seals so I think it is correctly positioned.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 1 2022, 07:29 PM) *

real 6 or conversion ?

The engine mounts on a real six are pretty dependable for engine position.
On a conversion.....more variable.
The engine could be higher or lower or even a bit left or right.
BillJ
I did a set of Rix clears on my 6. These are the cut down race versions. Pmo carbs with standard height intakes. I have a gt lid but still has the cross beam and fits okay. However the rear firewall was modified (cut down) at some point so that may affect fitment.

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
QUOTE(BillJ @ Jun 1 2022, 06:03 PM) *

I did a set of Rix clears on my 6. These are the cut down race versions. Pmo carbs with standard height intakes. I have a gt lid but still has the cross beam and fits okay. However the rear firewall was modified (cut down) at some point so that may affect fitment.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the visual Bill. How close is your 1,2,3 to the trunk wall? Are you touching the trunk seal?
BillJ
I will have to check when i get back from vacation in about 3 weeks but my rear firewall is cut so it may not be the best test example for you. It appeared to be clear of it but seal may have touched if it was in place. Stock engine mount in place.
mb911
Mine does not touch the seal.
nditiz1
I guess my mount is welded a 1/4" too high OR the phenolic spacers are causing the clearance issue. This is without the filter on. It is right there. With the filter it pushes it up to where I have it cut out. Guess I just need to live with it.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Retroracer
FWIW, -6 conversion running Zeniths (with phenolic spacers) and the K&Ns, with rain hats - no clearance problems:

Click to view attachment

No trunk lid hinge springs either though. Wondering if your motor mount is a tad high? Does the chassis metal line up with side engine tins and seal OK?

- Tony
nditiz1
Thanks Tony, sent you an email requesting a pic of the 1,2,3 side, like I have in my previous post.
siverson
ITBs or any intakes that go straight up and down (if that makes any sense) are not even close. I had to notch my "trumpet" and the air cleaners to fit on that side.

Middle of page here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...2822&st=300

-Steve
Retroracer
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 2 2022, 07:47 AM) *

Thanks Tony, sent you an email requesting a pic of the 1,2,3 side, like I have in my previous post.

Pics sent via email Nick. Let me know if you need more detail, angles, etc.

Comparing to your posted pic (above), I think the forward/aft placement is about the same, just your carbs/filter sits about 1/2" higher than mine. I can comfortably get the rain hats and filters on and off without fuss. Depending on the motor mount you chose (I have a Maddogs item), you may be able to machine up a shim to sit between the chassis mount and the engine mount to lower the motor slightly. Just need to watch clearance on the shift linkage as the motor is lower,

- Tony
slivel
I haven't run rain hats for a long time but I recall it being a tight fit to the rear bulkhead with 1/2 inch or less clearance.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
slivel
Old pic of rain hats....so they do fit. I did not modify the rear bulkhead.

Click to view attachment
Dion
Nick with conversions I think it’s where that engine mount is situated. I have a Rich Johnson mount and it’s prolly a little different than other vendors and especially the factory. My 1,2,3 just kisses the rubber seal on the trunk. I actually used glycerin to let the “hats” slide by.
nditiz1
Looks like the same way the factory built them LOL none the same all pretty close.
porschetub
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 3 2022, 07:18 AM) *

Looks like the same way the factory built them LOL none the same all pretty close.

Sold my K&Ns and went back to stock plastic one with Zeniths,found I couldn't used one of the clips @ that point and no room the engage it but atleast the air cleaner still seals there.
The air cleaner is a little hard to fit but I like the reduction in noise over the K&N's which was the reason for changing I now have a more suitable oil tank vent hose back to the aircleaner also,recently fitted a BMC filter element.
I'am running a stock mount @ the bulkhead,engine seems to be pretty much in the right place.
nditiz1
In case anyone ran into the same issue I was having.

The K&N filter kit for dual carbs is:
knn-56-1770-2

It is an oval 3 port setup that works on all 911 applications. Mounts the same in a 6, except you could run into an issue like I did where the plate hits the back edge of the trunk frame (not the actual trunk).

I had a set of filter pods I just acquired in a recent purchase and they are an older kit for the same application, thicker aluminum bases. These were even more of an issue as they sat just a little higher due to them being thicker.

The base oval filter sits 3.25" high (E3761). K&N did manufacturer another same dimension oval filter only 1 inch shorter that would have worked for this application, but those are now discontinued. I hear a couple in UK and Australia. The other problem with that is I would have to use slimmer stacks which requires more money. My stacks are currently the stock 50mm ones. So I could drop $440 on new ones with a snug rub fit on the 123 side OR come in E-1065 81' Camaro round filter. Take a circle and make it an oval. No different than how 40 IDF filters come when you get the kit. A hole half inch gained and still satisfies at least 1 inch above velocity stacks for air flow.

Before
IPB Image

IPB Image

After
IPB Image
mb911
I wish I could find a shorter paper element. I know I have some new paper ones in one of my totes. Will look this weekend.
nditiz1
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 3 2022, 01:51 PM) *

I wish I could find a shorter paper element. I know I have some new paper ones in one of my totes. Will look this weekend.

Let me know what you find. I picked up two different paper ones but the were to thick and would not sit in the channel. They measured .75" but need to be .625"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.