Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Fiberglass or Composite Engine Lid
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Craigers17
I'm looking for a fiberglass engine lid/cover. I realize this is a longshot, but I figured maybe someone who races 914's might have something like this. I don't need a hinge or a locking mechanism on it. I'm planning on fastening it with either some hood pin type setup or dzus fasteners.

I realize that Sergio sells lightweight GT lids(which BTW, I think are AWESOME!), but I'm looking for something that offers a little more cover, as it rains alot here in the SouthEast.

Thanks, and let me know what you've got.
brant
I don't remember ever seeing one.

why not just go with a stock lid and a rain tray?

my lid is a GT style I made myself.
no rain protection but weighs a fraction of the stock piece and still in metal

are you after weight?
or if you want rain protection, rather than weight and breathing... why not go stock?
Craigers17
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 2 2022, 03:20 PM) *

I don't remember ever seeing one.

why not just go with a stock lid and a rain tray?

my lid is a GT style I made myself.
no rain protection but weighs a fraction of the stock piece and still in metal

are you after weight?
or if you want rain protection, rather than weight and breathing... why not go stock?

I have already found such a piece, but the parties involved are reluctant to sell it at this point. Ideally, I'd like to go with a fiberglass lid w/ rain tray. I'm looking for weight reduction in addition to rain protection. To be honest, I've never liked the design of the engine lid and the way it opens. Along with weight redux, I'm also planning on eliminating the pull mechanism and latch. I'd prefer to attach it with 3-4 hood pins or dzus fasteners and simply lift it on and off when I work on the car.

Probably too much info...but you asked. I haven't ruled out the GT style, ....it might ultimately be what I go with.
brant
I run my race car with two pins that slide into matching holes in the double layered firewall

And then only two additional pins
I did it for weight
Pictures in my race car thread

Our goal was only weight reduction
And the car is 1820 wet with a /6
Craigers17
@brant Thanks for the tip. Putting the pins in the front and only securing the back with hood pins was a great idea...makes a lot of sense. I've obviously seen your car before, but I took some time to browse through your build.....very impressive.....both clean and well thought out. I particularly like your dual front oil coolers and their location. Pretty awesome build!
Craigers17
Bump
GregAmy
I got nothing to offer except to note that I secure Sergio's GT lid on my race car with three hood pins: one each at the original firewall brackets and one with a bracket at the original release location.

I do it for access: remove the whole thing and get it out of my way so I can work on top.

How much does an OE lid with rain tray actually weigh? I'm guessing it's not a significant enough amount to worry about, especially on a street car. Seems like there would be other better ways to reduce weight...
PCA7GGR
"Weight is the enemy of speed." author - unknown
- Stock Lid: w/ rain tray: 14.2 lbs
w/o rain tray: 13.6 lbs
- GT: w/ lightened x-brace: 11.2lbs
w/o x-brac 10.2lbs
w/o brace/springs/latch/hinges 8.8lbs

"It is easier to take weight off the car than the driver." author - Sergio
GregAmy
QUOTE(PCA7GGR @ Jun 7 2022, 09:05 AM) *

- Stock Lid: w/ rain tray: 14.2 lbs
- GT: w/o brace/springs/latch/hinges 8.8lbs

So I saved 5.4# with your decontented lid. But I actually did it for cooling air and because it looks cool.

"Man, that coulda bought us some serious amount of beer..." - Anonymous

wink.gif
mlindner
What year is your car, if 73 on up your doors are very heavy. Get some early doors with out safety beam. BIG weight savings.
Craigers17
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 8 2022, 03:22 AM) *

What year is your car, if 73 on up your doors are very heavy. Get some early doors with out safety beam. BIG weight savings.

Maybe down the line, but right now I'm focusing on the hood, trunk, engine lid, and both bumpers. As I explained before, the engine lid swap for me is as much functional & visual as it is for weight reduction. I really just hate the stock setup for so many reasons.
sixnotfour
some one made em , I have one, Bought at swap meet..
Craigers17
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2022, 03:48 PM) *

@sixnotfour So I guess the question is, are you using it? And, if not, are you willing to part with it?
mlindner
Again if you truly are looking for weight reduction. Early doors verse late. - 50 lbs with out safety beams.Click to view attachment
Craigers17
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 8 2022, 04:35 PM) *

Again if you truly are looking for weight reduction. Early doors verse late. - 50 lbs with out safety beams.Click to view attachment

I'm not discounting your point on door weight, but at this point I'm focused on the lid for various reasons mentioned above. I could buy these doors on Ebay and get the door weight down to 13lbs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265506058385?mkcid...&media=COPY
sixnotfour
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jun 8 2022, 04:33 PM) *

@sixnotfour So I guess the question is, are you using it? And, if not, are you willing to part with it?

No But I have some carbon fiber doors...Ill dig out and take pics..
tazz9924
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 8 2022, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Jun 8 2022, 04:33 PM) *

No But I have some carbon fiber doors...Ill dig out and take pics..

Id be interested…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.