Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sprucing the Engine Compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
A914MAN
I have a '73 2 Liter and it looks fairly good and runs great. Problem is the engine compartment looks a mess. The vehicle is a stock unit with F.I. and I am looking for some veteran help in how to make it look better. Specifics would be : Painting, sheet metal pwder coating, where to get new fabric hoses, what to do with the battery and support, etc... I am new to the group and I hope I have done this correctly. Thanks mueba.gif mueba.gif in advance for all of the help.
Curvie Roadlover
Here's a goal to shoot for in the engine compartment. (not my car, I'm not that anal)
Curvie Roadlover
And the left side:
vortrex
geeez, who's car is THAT!?
si2t3m
Err...

Ditch the FI stuff... ph34r.gif

And slap in one of these!

The engine bay will sure look purdy mueba.gif
seanery
Hey curvie, more pics of that one!

who's is it? is it ever driven?

thanks,
sean
Bleyseng
Here is another "six" engine compartment you could eat off of.

Geoff mueba.gif
FlatSix
How do I get the old glue off from the firewall? It's been baked on so well.

I have even tried a small amount of old brake fluid with no success.
SirAndy
QUOTE(FlatSix @ Feb 7 2003, 06:56 AM)
How do I get the old glue off from the firewall? It's been baked on so well.

I have even tried a small amount of old brake fluid with no success.

try brake cleaner. spray on plenty and rub it off with a cloth immediately. worked like a charme for me and gives you a buzz too smile.gif

Andy
gklinger
for me, the brake cleaner worked like a charm on glue that wasn't crusty, but pretty much had no effect on the hard, dried up variety. I was planning to wire brush it off... ar15.gif

garry
seanery
Mine came off pretty easy....I paid someone else to do it biggrin.gif
Curvie Roadlover
OK, Here's a pic of the outside of the car from the first 2 pics in this thread. This pic along with the permission to post it comes from the owner, Jack V. in NY. The pic is from the Pocono Concour where the car took best in show last year. Great car, Jack!!! clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif aktion035.gif
Jeroen
WOW! that's not clean... that's scary!
wish I had the patience and commitment to keep my cars so detailed and clean
(heck, I even emptying the ashtray is too big a chore for me biggrin.gif )

cheers,

Jeroen
Eddie Williams
Goes to show how much "concourse weenies" know about a 914.... It has after market mirrors, I thought the goal was better/cleaner than factory.
airsix
Hey JP,
Post that shot of your engine bay. Those who haven't seen it will "Oooo" and "Ahhhh". Those of us who've already seen it will enjoy seeing it again.

-Ben
Aaron Cox
I'm diggin the red engine sheet metal on that concourse car. He must have no life other than detailing his engine compartment. As for the glue on the firewall i used mineral spirits or acetone (kinda fuzzy on this one) did okay.
joea9146
I used Acetone.... its Nasty stuff it will also take the paint with it, youu need a mask and gloves.....
tryan
Goes to show how much "concourse weenies" know about a 914.... It has after market mirrors, I thought the goal was better/cleaner than factory.

is the ant. on the proper side?
Part Pricer
You guys are nit-pickin' on Vitaloni mirrors and what side the antenna is on. How could the judges give a concours win to a 4-cylinder 914 with carbs?
seanery
tryan,

all of my 914's antennae were/are on that side.
SirAndy
mine's on the drivers side. hmmmm
seanery
My bad, I had a different pic in my mind. Mine are/were on the driver's side, too.

I am a moron!
Mueller
there is no correct side for the antenna...it was up the dealer from what I've read
airsix
4 weeks old and already going down the crapper! Come on you guys, don't sissie out on me like this. Post some more tube-frame gutted racer drove it to work rod-end suspension look what I fabricated my six will destroy you mannly stuff. Can the dainty tea-sipping antenna talk. wink.gif (JK)
seanery
I got some pretty pink driving gloves today! :finger2:
Jeroen
Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
J P Stein
QUOTE(airsix @ Feb 10 2003, 10:06 AM)
Hey JP,
Post that shot of your engine bay. Those who haven't seen it will "Oooo" and "Ahhhh". Those of us who've already seen it will enjoy seeing it again.

-Ben

Well, if you insist.
Speakin' of antennae. (the "ae" sounds like "I" for those of you that didn't take Latin confused24.gif )

Since I have a new can of bondo and a rattle can of
primer, I may as well rip that sucker outta there & plug thet effin' antenna hole. Izat' manly enuff for ya Ben?

Oh, yeah....a motor pic...Prolly ought to take a new one.....and a couple extras.

WARNING !! This is guystuff. I been doing some rootin' around.
J P Stein
and more
J P Stein
just one more
Mueller
Cool.....JP has bought a few more goodies........ mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

I'm buying one of his bars this weekend (so is Jon Watts, Andy and Jason....)
J P Stein
There's them effin' bananas again
smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif smash.gif

Hay, I tole ya I'm a sucker for anodized widgets... it even comes with directions.....holy shmooly.
airsix
Ok since none of you bothered to tell me about this place I've
apparently missed out again. Who's bar? (yes I see the picture)
What price? What size(s)? And of course, what special features?
(like does it have adjustable drop links? Needle bearing pivots?
fluted titanium super amazing lever arms? What's the deal?)

-Ben

ps - JP, thanks for posting the engine pic. Wana post another that shows off that mirrored firewall? wink.gif
J P Stein
The bar is a Tarret Engineering 22mm bar.
www.tarett.com

I think Mike was arranging a grope....group buy at a friendly price.

Anodized adjustable drop links and arms.
High quality rod ends, grade 8 nuts & bolts.....all good stuff.

Nope, no mirrored firewall.
Jenny was lookin' at all this guy stuff. I wouldn't want to be responsible for interupting the flow of her feminine hormones or sumthin'.
Jeroen
ar15.gif How come I didn't know about the group buy?

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
It's not really a group buy like the past group buys....

I have agreed to purchase 5 bars to get a discount....I am merely passing on the discount to a few local 914 guys that have helped me out in the past.

As of now, all 5 bars are spoken for.....if they back out, I'll be hosed and you see the bars on eBay smile.gif
MJHanna
Here some tube shit happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.