Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling 914 rubber
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
Hey Mikey!! I hope all is well.. ( I tried to call the 914 rubber line but can't get through... mssg says number not available from our area... Do you have an international number)

My wife and I were driving the highway last week. Three folks did a left hand in front of us... we were going about 55 mph. After the second person turned to close for comfort... I was ready to slam on the brakes... Then a third guy turns left in front of us in a black dodge ram!! I slam on the brakes... thankful I had PMB calipers!!
It was close... If I had been going any faster... we would not be chatting about it here.

I figure it is time to replace the 47 yr old seatbelts!!!
Anyhow.
I need a few things
Seatbelts for a 1974
and Fiberglass bumper tops ( does the rear have a set up for the license plate light? if it does can you send me the light fixture too)
and a couple of other things too, new seat covers and a rear back pad cover.

rjames
Not sure what 914Rubber offers, and not to take biz away from them, but several people have used Seatbelt Planet for replacement seatbelts with good results. They will also install new webbing on your original belts if wanting to keep it stock.

Seatbelt Planet 914 seatbelts

I bought a set and they seem high quality, but haven’t installed yet because I found a NOS set to use instead.
hndyhrr
Seat Belt Planet can re web your seat belt hardware with colored webbing also. Husband bought me Orange webbing but as it turned out he bought me Late seat belts instead of early, couldn't use them in the pumpkin. Just thought I would throw that out there.
pete-stevers
QUOTE(rjames @ Jun 3 2022, 12:37 PM) *

Not sure what 914Rubber offers, and not to take biz away from them, but several people have used Seatbelt Planet for replacement seatbelts with good results. They will also install new webbing on your original belts if wanting to keep it stock.

Seatbelt Planet 914 seatbelts

I bought a set and they seem high quality, but haven’t installed yet because I found a NOS set to use instead.

My seat belt hardware and chrome looks pretty bad too.. so just webbing alone wouldn't do the trick for me.
mepstein
There are a couple companies that restore belts and hardware. It’s not cheap but your car is obviously a keeper so not so bad if you get another 47 years from them.
Mikey914
Well, you should have been able to reach us. Was it the 855-914-GUYS (4897) number?

The seat belts we have not done as of yet. It would be possible, but if other acceptable solutions are available, I'd go that way. As far as cost goes, liability may be what's keeping the costs up.

I'd be happy to look into this if there is a need.
However on the fiberglass bumper tops we posted up a GB some time back, and are actually to the point we will be able to start producing in quantity. The costs for material have went up some, but shouldn't be too bad. I'll post up the ones I laid up this week a little late this weekend.

-Mark
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2022, 05:07 PM) *

Well, you should have been able to reach us. Was it the 855-914-GUYS (4897) number?

The seat belts we have not done as of yet. It would be possible, but if other acceptable solutions are available, I'd go that way. As far as cost goes, liability may be what's keeping the costs up.

However on the fiberglass bumper tops we posted up a GB some time back, and are actually to the point we will be able to start producing in quantity. The costs for material have went up some, but shouldn't be too bad. I'll post up the ones I laid up this week a little late this weekend.

-Mark

Thanks for the reply!
Yes that is the number I dialed, a recording says the number is not available in this area. I am calling from BC. I thought it was kind of weird.

I guess I will search for some hardware that is not as rough as mine... and reweb them.
pete-stevers
If anyone has some decent working seat belts let me know... thanks a ton
Mikey914
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jun 3 2022, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2022, 05:07 PM) *

-Mark

Thanks for the reply!
Yes that is the number I dialed, a recording says the number is not available in this area. I am calling from BC. I thought it was kind of weird.

I guess I will search for some hardware that is not as rough as mine... and reweb them.

Sorry, I missed the BC part. Yes The international toll free cost just to have the line is several hundred a month. just didn't pencil out. The international number is 1-503-352-9434

Mark
waltonsm
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jun 3 2022, 08:37 PM) *

I have the full seatbelt hardware I removed from
my car. 1975. I can dig them out and take some pictures. I honestly don’t remember at all what they look like.

-Steve
eric9144
They're $350 and I have no personal experience with them, but Rennline has 914 specific belts in various colors. I have other stuff made by them and its all been really nice...

https://www.rennline.com/rennline-retractab...lt-sku-sa-5053/

Click to view attachment
waltonsm
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Jun 3 2022, 08:37 PM) *

These are probably about the same as yours. Let me know otherwise.
Click to view attachment

-Steve
930cabman
I have not tried this, but I also have a few "older" sporting cars with cranky seat belts and recall reading simply washing the belts in soap and water will refresh them.
Mikey914
Linseed oil works well
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have PLENTY of the aftermarket sets built specifically for the 914 on the shelf ready for immediate shipment, but have you tried to clean and lubricate your old ones? They should still be good
NARP74
Use Scotchgard after you clean them and let them dry.
JmuRiz
Just be sure the scotch guard is dried before retracting, at least that's what I've heard.

Is the webbing still good on our old belts? I think that's the main question, right?
bbrock
For rewebbing the belts, I had great luck with Safety Restore. Very reasonable price and fast. They sewed in the labels for me as well. Before sending my belts in, I cut the webbing to remove the tarnished hardware to send for replating. Then I taped the belts with replated hardware back together with Gorilla tape so Safety Restore knew exactly how they were supposed to go back together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.