Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back on all 4's after about 10 years
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
Dad bought me this in college about 10 years ago. Drove it only a couple times before tearing out interior and removing engine... life caught up, and several moves later, it's been parked here for a LONG time.

Finally have the time and means to get it professionally done (floor pans and some other rust areas). Got new tires on it today to get it back to "roller" status! Plan to get it to restoration shop soon. Feels like progress at least...

Guy at Discount Tire dated the tires they took off back to 1996! Just wanted to post small progress. Feels motivating!

Click to view attachment
Montreal914
Cool dad! smile.gif

I can’t for my car to be back on its wheels too, missing it everyday.

Although difficult to keep up, a little every day is the motto, just wish I could apply it... headbang.gif

Good luck! The reward will be amazing! driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Ansbacher
Congratulations on your project start. However, a little advice. Relying on "professionals" to get the job done is often a gamble and offers no reward in the self-satisfaction arena. Unless someone is physically handicapped or mentally challenged, working on 914s is not all that difficult, especially given the resources on-line. I do agree with you about getting someone to do the body work (most of us can't either or lack the facilities) but the majority of the work to get a 914 back on the road is within an owner's ability, if he/she tries. Good luck and love the color of your car.

Ansbacher
stateofidleness
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Jun 4 2022, 05:01 PM) *

Congratulations on your project start. However, a little advice. Relying on "professionals" to get the job done is often a gamble and offers no reward in the self-satisfaction arena. Unless someone is physically handicapped or mentally challenged, working on 914s is not all that difficult, especially given the resources on-line. I do agree with you about getting someone to do the body work (most of us can't either or lack the facilities) but the majority of the work to get a 914 back on the road is within an owner's ability, if he/she tries. Good luck and love the color of your car.

Ansbacher

Agreed! I ultimately conceded that rust repair "stuff" should be left to a pro in this case as I wanted that reassurance for safety. Everything else, I plan to DIY!
76-914
Show us some pics of the rust areas. If it is run of the mill stuff you don't need to be too picky. Otherwise you might need someone who is versed in old Porsche body repair. Nice color! beerchug.gif
bkrantz
Yes, more photos!

996 cab?
mlindner
Congratulations, this will be fun to watch. Mine had a 29 year nap. Best, Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.