Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GPS Speedometer??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Global Positioning System speedometer

a little on the expensive side at over $500....

user posted image
ArtechnikA
have you priced Porsche electric speedos?
('76+ 915)

that's in the ball park.
i'm gonna need one when i replace my transmission, but until i can find the one i want, i'm going to have to calibrate the tach from the GPS and go by that...
Rand
That's the first one I've seen that looks like a traditional in-dash gauge. Cool.

I love the features in my handheld GPS. Speedo, trip odometer, average speed, top speed, maps, routes, etc... for a lot less $$. They look different, but can be mounted anywhere with a holder.

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrexLegend/
TonyAKAVW
Officer: "Son do you know how fast you were going back there?"

Driver: "No, I don't, my speedometer was still getting a fix on the satellites."

biggrin.gif unsure.gif

-Tony
spare time toys
They work good untill you go into a tunel or come out of a parking garage and have to hold on until it aquires the satelites.
Mueller
QUOTE (spare time toys @ Aug 3 2005, 06:47 PM)
They work good untill you go into a tunel or come out of a parking garage and have to hold on until it aquires the satelites.

yea, but common sense should take over until the GPS comes back up smile.gif
Red-Beard
I bought the Uniden GPS-RD.

http://www.uniden.com/productsupport2.cfm?...m?product=GPSRD

It bought it specifically because it has a speed readout. They are hard to find, but do come up on Ebay used, once in a while. Be prepared to spend around $200 used! Very accurate.

Oh, and for $500, you can get a very very good mapping GPS unit from Magellan (A ROadmate 300). The locate screen gives you direction, speed, road name, etc. I have it's big brother, the Roadmate 700. Virtually the same as the Neverlost units Hertz uses.
ClayPerrine
Here is the trick thing to do. Gut a stock 914 speedo, and put the guts of this in. Then it looks stock, but uses the GPS.

BTW.. I have been looking at this for months.
Mueller
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 4 2005, 04:52 AM)
Here is the trick thing to do. Gut a stock 914 speedo, and put the guts of this in. Then it looks stock, but uses the GPS.

they also have less expensive model that is Speed only.....it tops out at 90mph, but I'm sure that you could change that if stuffing it into a new case.
lapuwali
For a handheld, the Garmin Gecko has a speed readout and an odometer, and it's under $80. The only trouble with it is it takes forever (like a minute) to sync up with the satellites. This is a great toy to calibrate a stock speedo. I discovered by 912 speedo reads LOW at freeway speeds (65 indicated is 73mph actual), so I may have avoided an unexpected ticket, which more than paid for the thing.

The various electronic speedos are very easy to recalibrate, and pretty easy to set up with a magnet on a CV joint and the sensor on a diff cover stud. You can get a VDO that looks vaguely like the stock speedo and a handheld GPS to calibrate it for roughly half what these guys want for their all-in-one unit.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 4 2005, 09:27 AM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 4 2005, 04:52 AM)
Here is the trick thing to do. Gut a stock 914 speedo, and put the guts of this in.  Then it looks stock, but uses the GPS.

they also have less expensive model that is Speed only.....it tops out at 90mph, but I'm sure that you could change that if stuffing it into a new case.

What kind of internal drive mechanism does it have? If we can use the speed only version, and make it fit the speedo cable connection on a stock 914 speedometer, then we have a way to get rid of the whole tire size problem. It would be accurate until you got in a long tunnel or underground parking garage.

Type 4 Unleashed
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 3 2005, 05:50 PM)

Common sense? I own 914's, I work on my 914's, I spend lots of money on my 914's, relativly speaking,

So, I don't think the term Common Sense applies, to me or any other 914 owner happy11.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (V6914 @ Aug 4 2005, 11:13 AM)
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 3 2005, 05:50 PM)

Common sense? I own 914's, I work on my 914's, I spend lots of money on my 914's, relativly speaking,

So, I don't think the term Common Sense applies, to me or any other 914 owner happy11.gif

chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.