Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driver side e-brake sticking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
The driver side parking brake has started sticking on my car. It will free up in a mile or so, but it needs to get fixed. What should I check or adjust to fix it?

Thanks
Zach
ndfrigi
I think inner brake pad may need adjustment. Access through the trailing arm coming from the engine side. Or check the short cable exiting the firewall.
mepstein
You could remove the cable from the caliper to isolate the part that’s sticking.
mgphoto
You probably need to adjust the hand brake cables. If you are pulling up and bypassing the end of the locking mechanism the mechanism sticks and is very difficult to disengage, shortening the cables the end of the engagement mechanism is not reached preventing it from sticking.

Sorry I think I misread your problem, brake rebuild time.
PatMc
I'd go straight to the caliper, disconnect the cable and actuate the parking brake lever...does it return? Does the brake release when the lever returns? If yes to both...then the caliper is fine and your problem lies within the cable. If no to any of those questions, then it's caliper rebuild time.
BeatNavy
This was happening to me on rear calipers I had rebuilt myself. They worked great for a while but at some point the drivers side e-brake would stick. Drove me crazy. I’d avoid using the parking brake. Some times I’d have to reach under the car and rap on it with a hammer or other object to get it to release.

After trying many different things over several years (including new cables) I bit the bullet and bought some calipers from PMB. Never figured out the root cause but it sure is nice having a reliable parking brake.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.