Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranz gear oil change
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
Changing the gear oil yesterday. And this little gem was on the magnet. In the past year, there were 2 GRIND instances that I remember. Shifting 1st to 2nd. I remember one going around a curve and I was a leaning into the curve a bit and pulled the stick into the gate.

I have not had any struggles because of this tooth breakage. All driving and shifting seems the same as it has been since 2013.

Anything I should be concerned about, or should consider?

Click to view attachment

Lots of normal fine wear dust too. The tooth is in the top left corner

Click to view attachment
mgphoto
Looks like part of a gear slider, I wouldn’t drive it. If another piece like that finds itself between driving gears that box will be toast. You are very lucky at this point, you can mitigate the damage, it could be an easy repair.
mepstein
imo - needs to be rebuilt.
Dr Evil
Tooth from a slider. I find them from time to time. There are a few schools of thought on this one, and its up to you to decide.

1- you did something, that's why it broke, it works fine so you can drive it. Flush trans, no further parts, probably OK. No 100% guarantees in life.

2- you did something, that's why it broke, it works fine BUT you don't know if there are more parts that could get tossed around/part it came from may fail. Pull the stack and check/repair.

3- you did NOTHING, WTF?! Where did this come from!? Pull the stack, assess and repair.

Im typically for 2 and 3.
malcolm2
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 5 2022, 11:04 AM) *

Tooth from a slider. I find them from time to time. There are a few schools of thought on this one, and its up to you to decide.

1- you did something, that's why it broke, it works fine so you can drive it. Flush trans, no further parts, probably OK. No 100% guarantees in life.

2- you did something, that's why it broke, it works fine BUT you don't know if there are more parts that could get tossed around/part it came from may fail. Pull the stack and check/repair.

3- you did NOTHING, WTF?! Where did this come from!? Pull the stack, assess and repair.

I am sure it was something I did. I have put every one of the 53,000 miles on this car.

Like I said, I remember at least 2 improper shifts into 2nd and one was more memorable..... blink.gif

I will study-up on pulling the stack idea. Sounds easy enough.

Thanks to all for chiming in.... I will update as I make progress. This is one of Dr Evil'z babies.

How do you flush the tranz? As I mentioned in the OP, I did drain the old gear oil and replace it yesterday. Put about 5 miles on it for a test drive and that is it.

Just to confirm, I was reading up on RATWELL and he Highly recommends the hard to find and expensive GL-4 gear oil.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jun 5 2022, 12:35 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 5 2022, 11:04 AM) *

I am sure it was something I did. I have put every one of the 53,000 miles on this car.

Like I said, I remember at least 2 improper shifts into 2nd and one was more memorable..... blink.gif

I will study-up on pulling the stack idea. Sounds easy enough.

Thanks to all for chiming in.... I will update as I make progress. This is one of Dr Evil'z babies.

How do you flush the tranz? As I mentioned in the OP, I did drain the old gear oil and replace it yesterday. Put about 5 miles on it for a test drive and that is it.

Just to confirm, I was reading up on RATWELL and he Highly recommends the hard to find and expensive GL-4 gear oil.

Ignore the GL4 rec. Its in the specs from factory to put in GL5, even though "it attacks yellow metals" which it really just stains them. They are fine. I use cheap 80w90 GL5 and change every year, or 9kmi.

Here are the basics of pulling stack. When pulled, you can flush the box out and assure no bits are there. Check 2nd, bet you find the missing tooth. You will need to measure gasket thickness and then can replace with new when reassemble. Replaced every gasket you disturb. I have plenty of spares of things so assume tail cone (may be limited supply here, but I believe 914Rubber sells them for cheap), intermediate plate (several depending on total thickness), likely O ring at shifter (I have). If you want, send me the stack and I can pull it apart, review and repair, and send it back.
malcolm2
It has been driving (and shifting) so well, even in this heat. So I hate to take it off of the road. It has been this long, I will cross my fingers and keep driving til I feel like I could live with NOT driving for a while. Which is usually never.

Thanks for you input. I will be in touch.

Clark
r_towle
Shop around for a used trans.
Rebuild that while you enjoy the car.
Trans swap is a weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.