Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a question for V8 Gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Car runs great, I think it is running a tad on the warm side. Also, when it is running warmer than normal around 210 consistently, I notice the Voltmeter goes to max. If I shut it off, it goes back to normal and when I restart the car it stays at around 14 volts but when I rev the motor it runs back up to max again. Any ideas on what would cause that? It just started doing it when the car started running warmer than it was, it used to run at 180 to 190 but now it's up to 210. Anyone know what is going on?
John2kx
Scott,

Since your car was running consistant at 180-190, I would guess you have a electrical problem that may be throwing off your water temp. gage. Throw that idea out the window if your running a mechanical gage.

Sorry, can't help you with the volt meter issue.

John
skline
John, that thought did cross my mind, they are electrical gauges so that could be a possibilty. I was hoping someone here had experienced the same thing and would have a quick answer for me.
914GT
Scott

If I recall correctly you recently replaced your alternator. How did you wire it up? If something is hosed with the wiring, or if the alternator has a defective regulator or field circuit, the voltage can go too high. Put a DVM on the battery and see what it's running since it's pegging the console gauge. Too high or too low voltage can definitely cause errors in your temp gauge.
skline
Matt and I just hooked up the VOM to the battery and it confirms that it is jumping to 18 volts when revved up about idle. I sent an email to the guy I got the alternator from as it has a one year warranty on it but he is in Tennessee so I dont think I will hear anything till tomorrow. I just replaced the header gasket with a new one and now my exhaust leak sounds worse, I think I need to change the flange gasket as well.
bondo
I hope you aren't running an optima, they don't like anything over 15v.
John2kx
QUOTE (skline @ Aug 3 2005, 07:08 PM)
I just replaced the header gasket with a new one and now my exhaust leak sounds worse, I think I need to change the flange gasket as well.

Scott,

I used a aluminum gasket with graphite inserts around exhaust port on my installation as recommended by several small block gurus in my area. This was the only engine with headers I ever ran that did not leak.

Looks like your on to something with that alternator and would take care of that issue before doing anything to the cooling system.

John
JWest
QUOTE (skline @ Aug 3 2005, 10:08 PM)
I just replaced the header gasket with a new one and now my exhaust leak sounds worse, I think I need to change the flange gasket as well.

I always use the blue Fel-Pro header gaskets (look like the same design as a blue Fel-pro composite head gasket) - a little pricy but they work nice.
Twystd1
Scott,
If I am not mistaken, I believe Slits told me he uses Aaron's

TOE JAM for exhaust gasket material. ohmy.gif

Then again... My memory isn't the best sometimes.....

Twystd1 unsure.gif
skline
I got a reply this morning from the guy I got the alternator from and he is shipping a new one out today with a return ship label to return the old one. The car is doing nothing till the new one arrives and gets installed. Yes, I have an Optima battery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.