Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB: Early ignition switch that will fit a porsche key
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
nathanxnathan
I'm trying to rekey all my locks to a Porsche key. I got the car with just a VW key that fit the ignition, and no door keys.

My plan was to start with a valet key that worked in one of the steering columns I have, rekey all the locks to it, swap the ignition switches, and then was going to cut a black/master key to match the valet.

I ran into a problem with the ignition key. I didn't know the 70 and 71 switch was different, and the column I had that the valet key worked is late. The early tumbler I have fits a VW style key only — Porsche key doesn't work.

So for what I am looking for, I think I can use just the tumbler in the cylinder I have or if you want to keep it together and sell the whole switch.

I think I'm using the right names for things, but not quite sure..

Here's a pic from Markb's re-keying your locks thread. I'm looking for either the piece on the bottom left or else the 2 pieces on the left together.

IPB Image
914Sixer
Check with the Cabinetmaker. He may be able to help you.

Calling: @TheCabinetmaker
TheCabinetmaker
According to the PET, the early switch (left one your pic) was used till vin # 4712909637. These are kinda rare. I've only had a few in my possession. Is the part#on the switch 914-347-019-00?
TheCabinetmaker
The late housing won't work in your early column. Send an email via the card button at the bottom left of my post
TheCabinetmaker
Thanks for the heads up @914sixer
nathanxnathan
Hi @TheCabinetmaker , I sent you an email from your profile earlier — I'm not sure if that's different from sending from the popup window that the card button launches, but I think probably not.

The car is an early 70, the chassis number deciphers to 11/69. I think the early columns, I don't see a part number on the ones I've seen. Here are pics of it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This column has an issue that I think is causing the wheel to seem loose, a crack in the housing. I've found another one that I hope will be good, and that one doesn't have a part number either, just the stamped SWF HLS 65 SAE QB 67.

The late ones I have are stamped SWF HLS 71 SAE QB 71 and are screen printed the part number like this

Click to view attachment

Yeah, the late lock mechanism definitely won't fit in the early column.

In the email I sent, I also asked about whether you have any interest in some door handles I have, in various states of need, I have about 8–10 that have tabs broken off etc.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.