Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Euro Front Turn Signals / Rear Tail Lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cal
I like the euro look....can someone please educate me on the front and rear euro turn signals and tail lights. Are these plug & play lenses only or do I need the entire light housings for the front and rear? Is there rewiring involved? Does anyone offer correct repros? Are NOS Hella units still available? Any info is appreciated.
rgolia
No rewiring needed unless you want the fronts to work like euro with the white part illuminated as a driving light. Two options, jwest makes (or at least use to) a rewire kit for standard bulbs and spokeworks makes an led alternative. I have the spoke product and it is great.

Click to view attachment
rgolia
oh and if you want to check them out in person, feel free to drive up to bucks county, I am near Doylestown. Would love to see your 914.
Cal
Thanks @rgolia ....it was nice meeting you at the Bucks County C&C this past weekend. Your 914 looks great. Below is a photo of my '74 2.0L.

Regarding the lights....I'd like to have the front white sections function correctly.
NARP74
AA sells a better option, IMO. Has the same wording as the JWest product but looks better in the lens.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Europea...N-R9146438.html
People have also crafted their own, thread is on here somewhere I think.
rgolia
QUOTE(Cal @ Jun 7 2022, 11:31 AM) *

Thanks @rgolia ....it was nice meeting you at the Bucks County C&C this past weekend. Your 914 looks great. Below is a photo of my '74 2.0L.

Regarding the lights....I'd like to have the front white sections function correctly.

Yep - that's a beautiful example. My fronts are wired for the dual light function of the euros but they currently have the spoke leds installed. I went with the spoke product for safety over original look because of all the distracted drivers these days. My leds are wired to be always on too, so maybe you had a chance to see them at C&C.
porschetub
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 8 2022, 05:19 AM) *

AA sells a better option, IMO. Has the same wording as the JWest product but looks better in the lens.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Europea...N-R9146438.html
People have also crafted their own, thread is on here somewhere I think.

Looks like a reasonable kit however I prefer the Martin Baker diy kit as it has a reflector for the lamp,I purchased this kit a while back and only got the correct wiring done recently.
You need to remove the light housing and run the black wire up to the dual filiment 21/5watt lamp ,you remove the 5w contact clip with side cutters and solder the black wire on there to power the park light,the 21w top lamp now only works as as a flasher for the amber part of the lense.
Hardest part is removing the lamp holder from the housing but the job isn't too bad .
Go to member vendor section for fitting info.
Click to view attachment
NARP74
The AA one has a reflector, but not as cheap as DIY.
Al Meredith
If Martin Baker is still making them , Go to him they are very well made and work great.
drem914
QUOTE(rgolia @ Jun 7 2022, 11:35 AM) *

Yep - that's a beautiful example. My fronts are wired for the dual light function of the euros but they currently have the spoke leds installed. I went with the spoke product for safety over original look because of all the distracted drivers these days. My leds are wired to be always on too, so maybe you had a chance to see them at C&C.

agree.gif Spoke Euro LEDs during daytime.

Click to view attachment

rgalla9146

Check with Martin Baker, he did beautiful work on mine.
Added the reflector/partition, the wiring and socket and made them look great too.
Cairo94507
I initially struggled with doing the Euro conversion with the reflector or going with LEDs... until I saw Spoke's LEDs in person. I appreciate the vintage Euro look for a car that is rarely or not driven. But in CA, with heavy traffic and way too many distracted children driving, texting, taking selfies, surfing for music, etc., I wanted the added visibility of the LEDs and I did a full set. They make me feel safer in my car when I am driving in traffic. Of course, a 3rd hi-mount LED brake light is essential too. But that's just my opinion. I don't have a rear shot with the brake lights on- sorry. Here is the front with Spoke's LED fog-lights; I typically drive with those on as a daytime running light. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
vitamin914
I too like the idea using the white portion of the Euro lens as DRLs for all the distracted yo-yos. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on buying some of Spoke's other LED products - considering adding the Euro turn signal boards.

Does anyone have wiring modification instructions on how to make them function as DRLs?
bbrock
Here is the link to Martin's classified post. I'm not sure he's still doing them as I couldn't connect when was ready to do mine, so I went DIY.

Here is another thread discussing them and includes a good pic of original euro signal buckets also posted below. You can see the originals and Martin's have a parabolic reflector that the AA version doesn't. I'm pretty sure the AA version is the CAMP914 kit as the description is verbatim from their site.

And here is the link describing my DIY version if anyone is interested in going that round. Note that I used a M/F Spade connector to connect the park/running light bulb without splicing into original wiring.

Here's what the OEM buckets looked like taken from the thread linked above:

IPB Image
NARP74
"You can see the originals and Martin's have a parabolic reflector that the AA version doesn't. I'm pretty sure the AA version is the CAMP914 kit as the description is verbatim from their site."

The AA kit and the JWest kit are different. I originally bought a JWest kit but I did not like them. The bulb holder was cheesy plastic, looked bad under the lens and the instructions needed some work. They do respond and will help if needed.

The AA kit could indeed be a nicer version made by JWest and sold by exclusive agreement. Or the description could have been lifted from JWest, not sure. The AA ones come with no instructions and AA was very poor in their support of the product. They gave me a Microsoft answer, technically correct but useless.

YMMV
burton73
Real fronts on my 6, number 41

Bob B

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
arbitrary
This is what the camp 914 versions look like.

I used them temporarily until I was able to get the Spokeworks LEDs.

I was able to wire them by extending one lead with a small diameter wire and then poking that through a small hole in the light body. I then attached a male spade connector and connected it to the corresponding wire that used to power the 5w filament.
914Sixer
Dansk is making Euro reproductions. Check around prices vary, have seen them for about $250.
SKL1
No contest- I tried the "kits" and was never happy. I have spoke's LED boards on both cars and they work great and are BRIGHT!
bkrantz
Of course, if you want a true Euro look at the front, you need to shave off the side light warts. biggrin.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 8 2022, 08:46 PM) *

Of course, if you want a true Euro look at the front, you need to shave off the side light warts. biggrin.gif

And if you want to stay legal, go stealth.

IPB Image

IPB Image
NARP74
That's cool. I don't see Magnus doing that one. Outlaw
brant
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 8 2022, 08:46 PM) *

agree.gif
Cal
I was able to find an original NOS pair of front lenses....I'm looking for the rears now.
Cal
There's a vendor in Germany that sells the correct euro front housings. Is anyone familiar with these?
mepstein
I have a pair of nos euro rear lenses. Let me pull them out. If you decide to buy, I can drop them off, check out your car and save the danger of getting crushed in the mail.

P.S. - I had the boxes they came in and in a moment of forgetfulness, tossed them. But they are the real deal. beerchug.gif
NARP74
QUOTE(Cal @ Jun 9 2022, 10:54 AM) *

There's a vendor in Germany that sells the correct euro front housings. Is anyone familiar with these?

What are the details and price on those???
vitamin914
QUOTE(Cal @ Jun 9 2022, 12:54 PM) *

Sierra Madre sells the front turn signal buckets/housing, refurbished (more expensive) and new aftermarket (Dansk?). I bought the metal refurbished version. The less expensive version is chromed plastic. Of course these are USA versions not the Euro version with the extra light. I would imagine the ones in Germany have the extra lamp?

Click to view attachment
Spoke

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by 'function correctly'?
ClayPerrine
@spoke Jerry, did you ever do anything regarding an LED setup for the euro buckets?

Clay
Spoke
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 10 2022, 08:47 AM) *

@spoke Jerry, did you ever do anything regarding an LED setup for the euro buckets?

Clay

@ClayPerrine

Clay, the way I'm doing the white portion of the LEDs with the full board has 2 rows of white LEDs which would be cut off because of the divider in the fixture. I'll have to look at this again to see if I could do a board with the divider in place.
Spoke
@ClayPerrine

The Euro front turnsignals I make now have 42 white LEDs and they extend 1/2 inch past where the notch is for the OEM light divider. This view is looking straight down to the light bucket.

Click to view attachment

Since the LEDs are arranged to point forward of the car towards oncoming traffic, even though the LEDs are under the amber part when looking straight down, they still shine their light forward in the clear area as shown here.

Click to view attachment

The OEM Euro light bucket white reflector severely limits the size of a white LED board. Looking at this view, the board would have to butt up against the reflector to get the largest board possible installed.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
@ClayPerrine

Working on an LED board now for the running lights for the Euro bucket. This board will have 24 LEDs. I had to jam them next to each other to fit. This is the smallest LED PCB I have ever done.

Click to view attachment
Spoke
I've ordered Euro running light boads in white PCB.

Click to view attachment
vitamin914
Jerry, you are amazing to have done this so quickly.
I don't have Euro buckets but I like the look with the Euro amber/clear lens with the white LEDS working as DRLs.

Question:

How would your $145 front Euro boards (all in one) that turn off the whites during a signal differ in function from this new set up?
Spoke
QUOTE(vitamin914 @ Jun 13 2022, 04:22 PM) *

Jerry, you are amazing to have done this so quickly.
I don't have Euro buckets but I like the look with the Euro amber/clear lens with the white LEDS working as DRLs.

Question:

How would your $145 front Euro boards (all in one) that turn off the whites during a signal differ in function from this new set up?

The Euro boards I sell should be called 'pseudo-Euro' since they do not fit in an OEM Euro bucket but transforms the US bucket with one BAY15D dual filament bulb socket to a 'Euro-look' bucket with the addition of the clear/amber lens. Because the US bucket has both turnsignal and running light power in one socket, I turn off the white LEDs when the turnsignal is active.

The OEM Euro bucket has two BA15S single filament sockets. The running light power to the white LEDs has no clue whether the turnsignal (in the other BA15S socket) is active. Thus the new Euro running light LEDs will stay on all the time the running/headlights are active.
Spoke
Working on finishing the turnsignal portion of the OEM Euro bucket.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.