Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankshaft gear dots
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Phoenix914
I decided to buy a new crankshaft gear because the machine shop gouged mine with a tool while disassembling the crankshaft. The new gear I bought at a local VW parts store has the two dots located one tooth over from the gear that came out of my engine. Which one is correct? The part number on the new gear is right, so now I'm not sure which gear to use.

I can simply drill some new holes in the new gear to match the old one, but can anyone confirm which one has the righ marks?

New gear and box at the top, old gear at the bottom:

Click to view attachment

Thanks for any help!
Jake Raby
the new gear looks small, like a Type 1 gear. compare the diameters.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 7 2022, 11:50 PM) *

Thanks for the reminder, I should have included that information in the original post. The image is distorted and does appear to show the gears to be different sizes. Upon measurement, they are identical in diameter (~75.3 mm) and thickness (~21.25 mm).

The new gear is on the right in this picture:

Click to view attachment

Can you think of or do you notice anytihing else from that picture? They appear identical to me except for the marks. Maybe that's why the guy at the parts store said they've had it for a long time.
porschetub
QUOTE(Phoenix914 @ Jun 8 2022, 04:26 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 7 2022, 11:50 PM) *

Thanks for the reminder, I should have included that information in the original post. The image is distorted and does appear to show the gears to be different sizes. Upon measurement, they are identical in diameter (~75.3 mm) and thickness (~21.25 mm).

The new gear is on the right in this picture:

Click to view attachment

Can you think of or do you notice anytihing else from that picture? They appear identical to me except for the marks. Maybe that's why the guy at the parts store said they've had it for a long time.

Confused what the issue your old one ? this gear is as hard as hell and hard to damage ,someone on the WTD section would most likely just about give you one with shipping paid.
IMO I would be worried about your engine guy as it appears it was removed with the wrong press and not hot enough,just saying ok ,cheers
Jake Raby
The dot location on the replacement leads me to believe it is a replacement made by Sebro a few years ago.
I have seen these have too large of an OD, fit too loose and create a failure years later.
I only use original, genuine gears. Thanks for conforming the diameters are the same.
Phoenix914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 8 2022, 01:59 AM) *

Confused what the issue your old one ? this gear is as hard as hell and hard to damage ,someone on the WTD section would most likely just about give you one with shipping paid.
IMO I would be worried about your engine guy as it appears it was removed with the wrong press and not hot enough,just saying ok ,cheers

The damage is on the other side of the gear. I guess they pried on it with something instead of using the right tools and heat, as you said.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I gave that machine shop a few simple tasks and they failed at most of them. The rest of my components have been handled by reputable professionals, even though it cost $$ to ship heavy objects across the country!

[quote name='Jake Raby' date='Jun 8 2022, 09:07 AM' post='3007306']
The dot location on the replacement leads me to believe it is a replacement made by Sebro a few years ago.
I have seen these have too large of an OD, fit too loose and create a failure years later.
I only use original, genuine gears. Thanks for conforming the diameters are the same.
[/quoteTD

Thank you both for the advice - I'll check out the WTD section to find a good, genuine replacement gear.
Jake Raby
That was an idiot with a chisel, or an air hammer with a chisel bit.
porschetub
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 9 2022, 03:54 AM) *

That was an idiot with a chisel, or an air hammer with a chisel bit.

Holy s#it what a mess ,all the damage done on that part !!!!!!!,probably a good idea to check the crank for burrs and the fit of the dizzy drive brass gear,after being dealt to by a
total dick,good luck sorting this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.