Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT-356-B Porsche w/Covair & Auto Trans.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Hi Guys.

Another interesting car turned up at the local Cruse-In today. How about this 1961 356-B Cpe with a 140 Hp. Covair Engine with Auto Trans.

The owner did the work back in the late 60's and really bastardized this car. I like it. It has the Hot Rod look with those big tires. The old timer was really proud of the conversion. He did everything himself to annoy the Porsche crowd.

Here are about (5) pictures to enjoy.

Tom
TJB/914
Pic #2
TJB/914
Pic #3

Engine with Porschair logo
TJB/914
Pic #4
TJB/914
Pic #5

Interior,
Note the auto shift lever along side the steering colum.

Tom
LongARM
weeeeeeeeee....i like that
smilie_pokal.gif
Lou W
Looks Great smilie_pokal.gif
davep
A good friend of mine called me up one time. He found the remains of an interesting car. The story was that Porsche had taken a Corvair turbo motor and adapted it to a 365B. It wound up in the hands of a Canadian military person in Germany. When he returned from Germany he brought the car back with him. Unfortunately, the dock workers dropped the car on one end (happened to Porsche #1 as well I recall). All that remained when I saw it was the engine and 356B tranny/axles/brakes. An attempt had been made to stuff it into a kit car body. The work done to adapt the engine to the tranny and the fuel lines looked professional. The exhaust manifolds on the engine were, to my eye, extremely restrictive.
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE (Thomas J Bliznik @ Aug 3 2005, 09:00 PM)
Hi Guys.

The old timer was really proud of the conversion. He did everything himself to annoy the Porsche crowd.

Here are about (5) pictures to enjoy.

Tom

He should be proud all of the work looks great.

Watch the old guy stuff I'm as old as him.

Bob biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Very cool, I like the wheels on it.
theol00
barf.gif oh no
markb
Kinda reminds me of Zois. Same motivations. biggrin.gif
tat2dphreak
smilie_pokal.gif I like it!!!
tdgray
Like everything except the sunroof wacko.gif
flatout
I met and talked to him at The Porsche Funfest in Effingham,Ill.Very nice guy and the car is really well done.He won a judges choice there,I think maybe more than once.
Mueller
QUOTE (markb @ Aug 3 2005, 09:01 PM)
Kinda reminds me of Zois. Same motivations. biggrin.gif

no comparisons to Mikeys car.... biggrin.gif

This 356 just offends other 356 owners....Zois' car offends everyone, hahahaha
JmuRiz
Pepboys sunroof and interior are horid, the rest is rather cool.
TJB/914
Hey Shelby,

Good to hear from you. Been wondering what happened to you.

Yes, this guy was very proud of his car. He engineered everything over many trial & error years. One neat thing I forgot to mention. A red button on the steering wheel when pushed activated a pump to kick in the secondary jets in the carborators. The motor would then roar like you were pushing the gas petal. He was drinking beer and pushing the red button with a big grin on his face. He said it was fun to be driving down the road and push the red button for a boast of power. He was proud of his bastard 356. I have his phone # if someone wants to contact him.

Tom
BTW
I didn't like the FLAPS sunroof, but he liked it to annoy the 356ers.
flatout
Hi Thomas!
Been posting a few here and there.I've been really busy painting motorcycles this summer.I am also making sure i'm ready for Gary when he is ready to paint his 914.
I think that 356 also has an aluminum powerglide in it. smile.gif
LongARM
aaahhhh that corvair power...

blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.