Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late Muffler on Early Exchangers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bbrock
I don't want to hijack George's SS Late muffler thread, but it got me thinking... How hard would it be to mod the late 75/76 muffler to mate with early heat exchangers? Why? 1) because they look like they would be really quiet, or at least could be with the right muffler swaps, 2) have good places for mounting an O2 sensor and could even accommodate sensors on each port without drilling into the exchangers, 3) built to take a CAT for those so inclined.

How restrictive are they sans CAT? Would they flow okay if the inlets were lopped off and replaced with 2-in-1 collectors to mate with the early exchanger flanges?
mgphoto
No way, 75 - 76 have round flanges, you have to use 75 - 76 heater boxes with the stub pipes.
Shivers
Nothing is impossible, I guess the question would be is it worth it. Lots of good systems out there.
Mine it a Anza / Monza. The twin pipes are Anza off my 72', and the mufflers are for a 75-76. Sits up high and is very quiet compared to an Anza.

Click to view attachment
bbrock
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 8 2022, 03:31 PM) *

No way, 75 - 76 have round flanges, you have to use 75 - 76 heater boxes with the stub pipes.

Understood that the flanges are different. I'm asking how hard/practical would it be to cut the flanges off a 75/76 muffler and replace them with 2-in-1 collectors and early flanges to mate with the early exchangers. I'm sure it could be done, but wonder about the pipe diameter and whether it would be too restrictive.

QUOTE(Shivers @ Jun 8 2022, 04:23 PM) *

Nothing is impossible, I guess the question would be is it worth it. Lots of good systems out there.
Mine it a Anza / Monza. The twin pipes are Anza off my 72', and the mufflers are for a 75-76. Sits up high and is very quiet compared to an Anza.

I agree there are lots of systems out there. I haven't found one I would call "good" for my somewhat peculiar demands. I don't like vroom, vroom sounds at all. I already know I'm cool and don't need to advertise it. shades.gif Right now I'm running a Bursch Quiet muffler that comes sort of close, but still too loud. Some day I'll chop the muffler out and try to find something quieter. Honestly, I like the idea of being able to run a CAT too. I know that's heresy in most of this crowd, but I like being a heretic. smile.gif

Maybe I'll ask another question, how does the sound of a stock 75/76 muffler sound compared to a stock 2.0L banana?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we actually at one time had a set of john's stainless steel heat exchangers where someone hacked off the flanges and welded on the 75 76 style! Crazy wast of time
bbrock
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 9 2022, 11:44 AM) *

we actually at one time had a set of john's stainless steel heat exchangers where someone hacked off the flanges and welded on the 75 76 style! Crazy wast of time

Waste of time in what way? Too restrictive? No improvement in sound (and by improvement, I meant more quiet)? Other? Just trying to understand what they do or don't offer.
SirAndy
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 8 2022, 05:50 PM) *
I know that's heresy in most of this crowd, but I like being a heretic. smile.gif

Contrary to popular believe, thinking "outside the box" isn't always the smart thing to do ...
shades.gif

bbrock
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 9 2022, 09:18 PM) *

I know that's heresy in most of this crowd, but I like being a heretic. smile.gif

Contrary to popular believe, thinking "outside the box" isn't always the smart thing to do ...
shades.gif

yikes.gif icon8.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 8 2022, 08:50 PM) *

I don't like vroom, vroom sounds at all.

Might as well turn in your man card and go full electric ASAP. happy11.gif
Chris H.
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 9 2022, 10:18 PM) *

shades.gif

Quite a bit of effort went in to the passenger side heater hose bracket! That thing's not going anywhere.
rhodyguy
A stock earlier 2.0 sounds better. Bolts on.
bbrock
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 10 2022, 03:49 PM) *

A stock earlier 2.0 sounds better. Bolts on.

"Better" is subjective. The best sounding exhaust in my fleet is our Honda CRV that you can barely hear idling standing outside right next to it. Only thing better would be an EV "exhaust." BTW, @Superhawk996 I'm waiting for a call on a PHEV I'm hoping to buy at this very minute. biggrin.gif Personally, I don't care for the stock 2L sound but might go there in pursuit of quiet. Wish I could listen to a late stock exhaust though. Anyone have a vid/sound clip?
KELTY360
You have to listen to stones bouncing off the bottom of your car three miles to the paved road and you’re worried about a couple decibels of exhaust note?
bbrock
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 10 2022, 05:27 PM) *

You have to listen to stones bouncing off the bottom of your car three miles to the paved road and you’re worried about a couple decibels of exhaust note?

Yep. Had a guy ask me today if I was running straight pipes. Hard to hear the gentle sound of the stones bouncing off the bottom with that racket. smile.gif
Mikey914
Tealky depends on the ride for me. I am in the category of wanting to hear my exhaust. In an aircooled car the wine of the engine with a nice después tone on the exhaust is a perfect balance.
Shivers
Quiet is nice, when I got rid of the clay wheels my skateboard it was pretty quiet. My first ticket was for the "Boom Tube" on my VW bug. Ahh the 70's. For me every drive is a mechanical symphonic composition, who am I not to share. biggrin.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2022, 06:48 PM) *

I'm waiting for a call on a PHEV I'm hoping to buy at this very minute. biggrin.gif

@bbrock

A PHEV is like swimming in the EV pool with water wings. poke.gif

Click to view attachment

Personally, I think they are the best engineering solution to emissions reduction and still having a real world usable vehicle that can travel the vast distances that Montana has to offer between charging stations. aktion035.gif

However, if you're going to give up the vroom vroom, and the zoom zoom, might as well go full EV which can be fast in a straight line. laugh.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 10 2022, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jun 10 2022, 05:27 PM) *

Yep. Had a guy ask me today if I was running straight pipes. smile.gif

Unless it was a guy on a Harley asking, it doesn't count. av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.