Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED Headlights -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
Looking to install LED headlights in my '75 1.8 and see a number of options...including a "bulbs only" plug & play kit from 914 Rubber. Those that have converted - what is your recommendation/preferred vendor?

I asked the person at 914 Rubber what this "put enough load on the circuit" disclaimer meant and am waiting for a call back. Anybody know? My electrical system is a bit twitchy and since I also have fog lights, don't want to cause any problems.

Thanks all...
NARP74
Barefoot garage jax and a person on here just did a big full LED conversion. Worth a look to find the thread and the vid on youtube.
sportlicherFahrer
LED thread/vid: HERE

Bulb vs. complete unit usually depends on overall goal and budget. Some of the full LED housings are north of $200 each, but they have an amazing beam as the reflector was designed to handle the angles LED operate with and in most cases handle multiple light sources properly. Usually an H4 housing or similar will not have the same sharpness to the beam pattern as they were designed to reflect the light output from one bulb. I tend to lean towards complete units for the better beam pattern over the way most conversion housings just scatter the light. Better visibility for you and the drivers around you.
mepstein
I bought the trucklight led units on Amazon. They are plug and play in 5 minutes. They don’t look stock but I don’t care. Amazing light. The 7” light is pretty common since that’s what size Jeep Wrangler’s use. Lots of choices in all different price ranges.

LED bulbs need proper lenses and cooling so I figured buying an engineered system would be my best bet. I would do the same today. I also got my Dad a set for his Wrangler. He loves them. We both live on rural roads so improved lighting is very noticeable.
Mikey914
The issue that this specifically addresses is that, there may not be enough load on the system to make the relay work as it was intended. @drphil914 explained it simply

"i took the white wire with blue stripe that comes from the fog light relay, which normally terminates(grounds thru the negative on the fuse box #1 fuse, and grounded it to this chassis ground point, thus making it work independently from the high/low light circuit. now it’s on with its own switch and does not turn off when high beams go on either."

Here's the thread
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=LED+headlight

The other option is to add resistors.

As far as the options we have for selling these, we do 2 things

1- a complete set up. The bulbs + housings, or
2-if you prefer to use H4 housing you already own, just the bulbs.

Chris914n6
Not a good description as 'stock' is sealed beam headlights. To use LED bulbs you need an H4 housing (uses replaceable bulbs). I think the best light pattern is E-code H4 housings, which are European spec, made by Hella or Cibie. US spec headlights are designed to put 20% of the light output upwards toward overhead sign and such, thus also causing bad glare when brighter bulbs are used, such as LED or HID.

Moral of the story... you need H4 E-code headlights to use brighter bulbs.
willieg
I have a 1974 914 and installed the LED kit from 914Rubber. I did watch the Ian Karr video on YouTube beforehand and also read the 914World tales on LED installation. Installation was flawless and no gremlins.
jdamiano
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jun 9 2022, 11:52 AM) *

Barefoot garage jax and a person on here just did a big full LED conversion. Worth a look to find the thread and the vid on youtube.

Not the cheapest option but probably the best.

https://youtu.be/aFUZaE0vXYA
Mikey914
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 9 2022, 03:06 PM) *

Not a good description as 'stock' is sealed beam headlights. To use LED bulbs you need an H4 housing (uses replaceable bulbs). I think the best light pattern is E-code H4 housings, which are European spec, made by Hella or Cibie. US spec headlights are designed to put 20% of the light output upwards toward overhead sign and such, thus also causing bad glare when brighter bulbs are used, such as LED or HID.

Moral of the story... you need H4 E-code headlights to use brighter bulbs.

True that OEM is sealed beam. It was a popular "upgrade " to use the Hella H4 with Higher wattage bulbs or "Silverstar" for those that remember it.

We do sell the Hella's they are just more expensive, so yes that would be an option too.
I have run both and for me I liked the other "generic" better myself
-Mark
VegasRacer
I replaced my stock headlights with the 914Rubber Lens plus Bulb kit. It was truly Plug & Play and took less than 1/2 hour.

Several years ago, I had upgraded my fog lights with the Camp914 Pilot Driving Lights. They were twice as bright as the stock headlights. Now the new 914Rubber LED lights make those look very dim.

I had no problems with the resistance on high or low beam. Everything worked perfectly, right out of the box. I give them a 5 Gold Star review and recommend them highly. The difference for visibility is dramatic.
bbrock
This comes up a lot. I'm no expert but did a lot of research choosing my LED lamps. Converting halogen lamps by swapping bulbs has be be done carefully. The LED bulb has to match the position and illumination pattern of the halogen bulbs carefully or you risk having a poor lighting pattern that can blind oncoming traffic. That's not to say it can't be done right, but whoever does it, needs to know what they are doing. In the end, I decided I didn't know what I was doing so bought the same trucklites that @mepstein has and are DOT compliant. They are a nice compromise between price and performance and I've been very happy with them. HUGE improvement over stock sealed beams and have a nice cutoff that doesn't blind oncoming cars.
jd74914
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jun 9 2022, 11:15 PM) *

This comes up a lot. I'm no expert but did a lot of research choosing my LED lamps. Converting halogen lamps by swapping bulbs has be be done carefully. The LED bulb has to match the position and illumination pattern of the halogen bulbs carefully or you risk having a poor lighting pattern that can blind oncoming traffic. That's not to say it can't be done right, but whoever does it, needs to know what they are doing. In the end, I decided I didn't know what I was doing so bought the same trucklites that @mepstein has and are DOT compliant. They are a nice compromise between price and performance and I've been very happy with them. HUGE improvement over stock sealed beams and have a nice cutoff that doesn't blind oncoming cars.

agree.gif

I'm 110% in support of this approach. Optics design is no joke (I spent 7 years playing with optics on lasers...they are quite complicated...and they are a lot simpler than multichromatic lenses/reflectors). Even if the retrofit bulb/reflector combos work OK, they aren't nearly at the same level as a full integrated assembly.
rjames
The LED bulb has to match the position and illumination pattern of the halogen bulbs carefully or you risk having a poor lighting pattern that can blind oncoming traffic.

A number cars out there today have blinding LED headlights, most often seemingly aftermarket 'upgrades'. (not talking about 914s)
Mikey914
The big key with ours is you have to adjust the assembly. This is true with ant bulb you use, but when the output is higher you owe it to oncomming drivers to do so, as they are significantly brighter.
bkrantz
Check out the options here:
https://vintagecarleds.com/?utm_source=news...athers-day-2022

I bought the VCm3 lights since only a normal plug protrudes from the rear. The installation was easy, but I have yet to drive the car.
peteinjp
I highly recommend contacting Daniel Stern and buy whatever he recommends. He has steered me straight a few times now (saving me some dough every time as well)- really knows his business.

Daniel Stern Lighting

Pete
bbrock
QUOTE(peteinjp @ Jun 10 2022, 08:51 PM) *

I highly recommend contacting Daniel Stern and buy whatever he recommends. He has steered me straight a few times now (saving me some dough every time as well)- really knows his business.

Daniel Stern Lighting

Pete

Looks like a great resource. Wish I'd have known about him when I was shopping, but thanks for posting. beerchug.gif
NotLance
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Jun 10 2022, 07:40 PM) *

Check out the options here:
https://vintagecarleds.com/?utm_source=news...athers-day-2022

I bought the VCm3 lights since only a normal plug protrudes from the rear. The installation was easy, but I have yet to drive the car.

I’ve been using the same VCm3 Vintage Car LEDs with their Hella Lens’ for about a year of everyday driving to and from school, and they have been great so far. Basically plug and play, although I did require re-aim them after I put them in.

-Lance

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@NotLance - Great choice - they look totally proper in our cars; I run those too. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
This is a side by side comparo of the 914Rubber LED and an H4 halogen. These are the same housings. As Mark said, the H4 halogen housing and bulbs were a popular modification.
I rarely drive my car at night but I did notice that where the idle changed when I turned on my lights before, there is almost no draw with the LED bulbs.
With a 50 year old electrical system, I like that.
FlacaProductions
Changing over to 914Rubber's LEDs was one of the first things I did - mainly because I needed to do SOMEthing after finding the headlights like this:

Click to view attachment

I eventually found matching daylight/5600k lamps for my Pilots, too but the 914Rubber stuff was easy and works great.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.