Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What VIN# in 1973 did Porsche change doors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turtleman
Can anyone provide the corresponding VIN # for these newer doors?

Thanks,

Chip
wilchek
i think it was less then the first 1000 or so. I don't think you will find an exact number. Probably when the plant ran out of the left overs from 72.
MarkV
I have vin #6003, late doors with no impact beams.
wilchek
Are u sure u have the early door. The picture below is from the later 73 stronger doors. You can tell by looking at the bottom half. The early door does not have the bend on the bottom half (see red line). Beyond that it is not all that notcable that the doors are reinforced on the inside.
MarkV
Your picture is a early 73 door with late regulators and no impact beam.

The photo below is of a late door. The impact beam is substantial, looks to 14 or 16 gauge steel. You can tell the difference between a early and late door in the way they close. The late door is obviously heavier.

davep
That is correct, there are three door styles in 1973. The late style unreinforced was in use only for a very short time.
tdgray
My car has one of each. Driver side no impact beam... Passenger impact beam.

I'm sure it was replaced but I swear they did a good job making the paint look the same, looks orginal. dry.gif
tommy914
I have vin# 4732900836.

no impact beam, early window style.

The front discs were not hubcentric.

The windshield frame had vinyl on it.

davep
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 4 2005, 06:14 AM)
My car has one of each. Driver side no impact beam... Passenger impact beam.

It could be in the middle of a transition as well. It may not have been cut and dried. What is the VIN?
turtleman
Does anyone have a 914 with VIN# above 6639 with the impact bars in the door???
Does anyone else have a 914 with doors between VIN # 6639 and # 6003 without the impact beam??

Chip
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.