Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: LED halo headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
The other current thread on LED headlights got me looking again.

Thoughts on functionality and fitment of these ones?

https://www.amazon.ca/Approved-Headlights-W...s/dp/B07L5BNYKK

My understanding is that it's the housing depth that can cause an issue with the compatibility.
GregAmy
I installed these. Bolt in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P56CG8

Didn't find the "angel eyes" ones useful, given my headlights are down when I'm not using the headlights...
barefoot
Not sure re depth fitment, but you don't want DRL's or turn signal functions unless you keep the lights up biggrin.gif
mobymutt
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jun 11 2022, 08:23 PM) *

Not sure re depth fitment, but you don't want DRL's or turn signal functions unless you keep the lights up biggrin.gif

Hmmm, good point. And I was just looking at those colour changing ones that you can control with your phone! Now I'm disappointed, haha.
mobymutt
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 11 2022, 08:22 PM) *

I installed these. Bolt in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077P56CG8

Didn't find the "angel eyes" ones useful, given my headlights are down when I'm not using the headlights...

Did you list those in the other current thread? If so, that's where I started. But I can't find those on amazon canada, so hoping to find the equivalent.
jsayre914
H.I.D. kit took about 2hours to install. Used a pair of Hella H4 E code lens and a hid kit with a temp of 6000k (daylight) the harness on the kit plugs right into the stock plug but I had to add 2 holes between the trunk and headlight for the additional high voltage wiring. The kit draws about 8amps on startup and a constant 3amps. The systems is rated at 35 watts. Look at the difference between the headlight color and the fogs. The fogs used to match the Silverstar headlights that i removed. I love the look, and i will soon be upgrading my stock fogs to H3.
Montreal914
Nice that these HID mount into the stock H4 assembly. smile.gif

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 11 2022, 06:31 PM) *

... and i will soon be upgrading my stock fogs to H3.
Curious as to how this is done. idea.gif Are you referring to the Pilot Lights from Camp 914?

http://www.camp914.com/products.html

porschetub
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 12 2022, 02:19 PM) *

Nice that these HID mount into the stock H4 assembly. smile.gif

QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jun 11 2022, 06:31 PM) *

... and i will soon be upgrading my stock fogs to H3.
Curious as to how this is done. idea.gif Are you referring to the Pilot Lights from Camp 914?

http://www.camp914.com/products.html

Just got my set working and well pleased,upgraded the fuse to 15amp as these draw more than the 35W fogs,bought mine a long time ago and understand they are now out of production think 914werke found some NOS ones but expect they are sold by now ?.
Didn't respond to the headlight LED's as I had to remove them as now not legal in my country ,these wasn't the case when I fitted them headbang.gif headbang.gif .
My solution was to run h4s with modern tech Narva 130 lamps, still pretty good lighting IMO.
Chris914n6
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jun 11 2022, 02:29 PM) *

The other current thread on LED headlights got me looking again.

Thoughts on functionality and fitment of these ones?

https://www.amazon.ca/Approved-Headlights-W...s/dp/B07L5BNYKK

My understanding is that it's the housing depth that can cause an issue with the compatibility.

There is a good comparison video on youtube. Most of the LED housings suck. Unfortunately the presenters idea of a good light pattern also sucks.

Years ago I went with HID in original Cibie Ecode H4 housings and like them very much. I had to move wires on the relay so the power stayed on when hitting high beam.

My DD Chevy got LED bulbs which are about as good as it's going to get with the small plastic housings and subpar spotlight looking beam pattern.
GregAmy
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jun 11 2022, 09:28 PM) *
Did you list those in the other current thread?

Unlikely. There's so many threads on LEDs that usually devolve into arguments about who has the best ones and which ones are crap and these don't look right even though I don't see them when the headlights are down that I rarely reply to these LED topics any more.

I'll defer to the two DIPA I had last night as to why I replied to this one.

beerchug.gif

Bottom line, search for "Jeep LEDs". They use the 1970s standard of 7" sealed beams which was required by NHTSA for all USA cars of that era.

Or you can buy the spendy stuff that looks period-correct when you have your headligths up during the day. Depends on your needs.
mobymutt
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 12 2022, 10:20 AM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jun 11 2022, 09:28 PM) *
Did you list those in the other current thread?

Unlikely. There's so many threads on LEDs that usually devolve into arguments about who has the best ones and which ones are crap and these don't look right even though I don't see them when the headlights are down that I rarely reply to these LED topics any more.

I'll defer to the two DIPA I had last night as to why I replied to this one.

beerchug.gif

Bottom line, search for "Jeep LEDs". They use the 1970s standard of 7" sealed beams which was required by NHTSA for all USA cars of that era.

Or you can buy the spendy stuff that looks period-correct when you have your headligths up during the day. Depends on your needs.

Thanks! Cheap and bright (and zero mods) is what I need. I don't drive at night except coming home from the track, and it's all back roads anyway, so I'm not going to be picky about the beam pattern. I would just prefer to get something that somebody else has already verified will fit, so I don't waste my money.
Chris914n6
My Galaxy S10 takes great looking pics, as it also 'enhances' color definition and low light, but you get the gist of it.

35w HID 4300k bulbs. Today the Hella Ecode h4 are a little under $100 and my HID setup is also about $100 so it's not cheap, but....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That house at the end is 5 houses and a cross street away. shades.gif

This is 05 New Beetle, projector lights with standard bulbs. You can get an idea of the light balance compared to the 914 HID.

IPB Image
Chris914n6
I also bought SeaLight X2 LEDs for the daily. Fun comparison and also why they sometimes don't improve.

07 Toyota Highlander. The pics are misleading, this turned out great.

IPB Image

Stock 9005 & 9006
IPB Image

Half led. Good example of needing to aim down as the LED really is a few inches high. Good quality LED unit too, so I guess nobody is perfect. Also a good example of perceived glare. You didn't see the over garage cameras in the stock pic did you. When you double the lumens...
IPB Image

04 Chevy Blazer. I think the stock beam pattern sucks... can't see potholes or other potentially bad objects on the ground.

IPB Image

You can see how the LED light source spacing has influenced the pattern. In this case I think wider is better. Also notice how lit up the trim is compared to the others. That's old school US spec headlights in action. Some would call that glare. An HID in this would be blinding.

IPB Image

This is my infamous Nissan Partsfinder. 1 standard name brand bulb, 1 80/100w 4300k cheap Chinese bulb. How do you make and sell something this far off specs?
Another example of old school US spec headlights in action. Factory option fog lights required for off-roading.

IPB Image
mobymutt
Although the halos serve no useful purpose, I couldn't resist. Ended up with the ones that you can change the halo colours via your cellphone. My 13 year old daughters agree with my choice!

https://www.amazon.ca/Aukmak-Headlights-Mul...7/dp/B072563VPN

Test fit:

Click to view attachment
moto914
mobymutt. Great last post.
Got halo - Angel eyes on a BMW e36 with the option of not having them on, and they don't look out of place when off.
(Just a guess) DOT LED lights will be an improvement more than 2x over my originals,, maybe H4s.
mobymutt
When I test fit the lights yesterday, I had both high and low beams working. Now that I've actually installed them, I've lost the low beam on the passenger side. Turns out that I don't have power to the low beam at the headlight connector. Seems weird considering I had power there yesterday -- makes me think fuse. Are the headlights fused independently? Anywhere else I should be looking?
Dave_Darling
High and low are separately fused, and separate for each side. Four fuses in total.

--DD
Mikey914
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Jun 22 2022, 07:57 PM) *

When I test fit the lights yesterday, I had both high and low beams working. Now that I've actually installed them, I've lost the low beam on the passenger side. Turns out that I don't have power to the low beam at the headlight connector. Seems weird considering I had power there yesterday -- makes me think fuse. Are the headlights fused independently? Anywhere else I should be looking?

Test them independently off the vehicle. We went through quite a few manufacturers before we started selling the ones we do on our site. It's quite common for the power supplies on these to fail. That has always been the weak link we have found.
mobymutt
Well, it was just a fuse after all, phew!

Next up, headlight adjustment. I drove the car tonight, and one headlight was aimed about 4 feet in front of the car, and the other was hitting the top of the trees!
Chris914n6
^^ sounds like you didn't get the notches lines up.
mobymutt
Got the halos wired into the wart power last night, and voila! This will definitely make the car faster.

You can even set them to strobe, for example, if you want to be an emergency vehicle with red and blue flashing lights. Or it will beat to the tunes. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

mobymutt
Or just plain white driving lights.

Funny thing is, the halos by themselves are probably brighter than my original lights were.

Click to view attachment
mobymutt
So the LED headlights seems to have messed up my turn signal relays. What's the fix?
Spoke
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Aug 27 2022, 09:53 PM) *

So the LED headlights seems to have messed up my turn signal relays. What's the fix?

@mobymutt

What happened with the turnsignal relay? The headlight/foglight and turnsignal systems are pretty much independent of each other. What do you see happening with the turnsignals?
mobymutt
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 28 2022, 12:16 AM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Aug 27 2022, 09:53 PM) *

@mobymutt

What happened with the turnsignal relay? The headlight/foglight and turnsignal systems are pretty much independent of each other. What do you see happening with the turnsignals?

Thanks for the feedback!

When I use the turn signal, the dashboard indicator light flashes only a couple of times, then stops.

I didn't actually verify what's happening to the turn signal light itself. I just recalled comments about LED's messing up turn signals, and assumed the same thing was happening. I'll have a look at the actual signals today.

I did tie into the warts to get power to the halos -- is that part of the turnsignal system?
Spoke
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Aug 28 2022, 10:46 AM) *

When I use the turn signal, the dashboard indicator light flashes only a couple of times, then stops.

I didn't actually verify what's happening to the turn signal light itself. I just recalled comments about LED's messing up turn signals, and assumed the same thing was happening. I'll have a look at the actual signals today.

I did tie into the warts to get power to the halos -- is that part of the turnsignal system?

When the tach indicator stops flashing, do the exterior turnsignals continue to flash? Can you hear the clicking. Do you have the single tach L/R indicator?
mobymutt
QUOTE(Spoke @ Aug 28 2022, 01:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mobymutt @ Aug 28 2022, 10:46 AM) *

When the tach indicator stops flashing, do the exterior turnsignals continue to flash? Can you hear the clicking. Do you have the single tach L/R indicator?

I just tried it now, but without the car running. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I can't hear the relays over the engine noise....

This time, my turn signals do all work, whether the headlights are off, halos are on, or the headlights are on high or low.

However, my indicator light on the dash is not working at all now. Strange. I do have the single L/R indicator.
Spoke
QUOTE(mobymutt @ Aug 28 2022, 06:58 PM) *

I just tried it now, but without the car running. Not sure if that makes a difference, but I can't hear the relays over the engine noise....

This time, my turn signals do all work, whether the headlights are off, halos are on, or the headlights are on high or low.

However, my indicator light on the dash is not working at all now. Strange. I do have the single L/R indicator.

If the external turnsignal bulbs are flashing, that part of the relay is working. If the tach indicator bulb is good and the external bulbs are flashing, then the part of the flasher driving the indicator is not functioning correctly. Sounds like you need a replacement flasher relay. You can either try to get an OEM-type flasher relay or get EP26 LED-compatible flasher although the pin that drives the tach indicator is open and needs to have a wire added on the relay circuit board. I provide modified EP26 relays or you can follow instructions on how to do this on my website.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.