Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doing a rebuild '73 2.0 motor - heads are shot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
My '73 2.0 motor needs a rebuild. Different shops are recommending different approaches to replacing the heads, which are both cracked (near the spark plug holes).

One shop doesn't believe in using "Chinese crap" and wants to try and search the planet for NOS or great condition heads, but has no leads (nor do they think welding/repairing my heads is a good idea).

The other shop is open to using high quality repos like the Len Hoffman 2.0 heads.

What have folks used for replacement heads on a 2.0 rebuild that are performing well years later? Are there any options out there for finding NOS or top shape used 2.0 heads?

FYI - keeping the motor stock - no mods on the rebuild.

Thanks in advance.
mepstein
Len’s heads are great but 50 year old 911 heads get rebuilt all the time. If you can find a shop that you trust, go for it. If the guy who only wants to use nos can find a set, great but I’ve never seen a rainbow unicorn.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 11 2022, 07:05 PM) *

Len’s heads are great but 50 year old 911 heads get rebuilt all the time. If you can find a shop that you trust, go for it. If the guy who only wants to use nos can find a set, great but I’ve never seen a rainbow unicorn.

Thanks Mark. Who's a good person/shop to rebuild 914 heads?
nditiz1
I think even Len stopped working on fixing the stock heads because of issues later on down the road, hidden cracks, more develop.

Couple of options:

See the cost of a local shop. One in Severna Park MD, maybe Cooker VW does them. Or ship them to Ollie's/someone else - cost dependent on time and what needs to be done

Cheapest option - AA Performance heads, bring them to a VW shop to get springs and valves installed. Should be fine.

Lens Chinese option - not sure if he has made any more since the last run. They were running good. I had them on an engine. Longevity seems fine. -$1500+ based on options

Lens bus conversion heads / Type4 store - I think these were $3400 last time I checked. Well made, pretty sure Raby runs these.
Steve H
Well, you just might be in luck. I have had some NOS parts sitting in the guest bedroom closet for at least the past 15 years waiting to have a stock, GA case, 2.0L engine built from the ground up. I'm beginning to think this build might not get done. I have the following:
NOS 2.0L German Porsche/VW heads still smothered in cosmoline from the factory
NOS 2.0L German Porsche/VW crankshaft smothered in cosmoline from the factory
NOS 2.0L German Mahle 94mm High Comp. Pistons & Cylinders, rings and wrist pins
Original GA (t-4) case. Casework has already been prepared by George at European Motorworks in Hawthorn, Ca. Case was align bored with oil galley holes drilled and tapped. Set of main bearings to match also purchased.

I'm out of town until Monday but will be happy to send photos or talk if you have any interest. Please note that I'm of Norwegian Decent and not Nigerian. George at European knows me as does Bruce Stone and Leamon Stamsell from So Cal. Either way, good luck with your build.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Steve H @ Jun 11 2022, 09:26 PM) *

Well, you just might be in luck. I have had some NOS parts sitting in the guest bedroom closet for at least the past 15 years waiting to have a stock, GA case, 2.0L engine built from the ground up. I'm beginning to think this build might not get done. I have the following:
NOS 2.0L German Porsche/VW heads still smothered in cosmoline from the factory
NOS 2.0L German Porsche/VW crankshaft smothered in cosmoline from the factory
NOS 2.0L German Mahle 94mm High Comp. Pistons & Cylinders, rings and wrist pins
Original GA (t-4) case. Casework has already been prepared by George at European Motorworks in Hawthorn, Ca. Case was align bored with oil galley holes drilled and tapped. Set of main bearings to match also purchased.

I'm out of town until Monday but will be happy to send photos or talk if you have any interest. Please note that I'm of Norwegian Decent and not Nigerian. George at European knows me as does Bruce Stone and Leamon Stamsell from So Cal. Either way, good luck with your build.

@Steve_H

PM sent
ClayPerrine
Just my $.02....

Use 1.8L heads fitted with 2.0L valves. Yes, you lose a small fraction of the available horsepower due to the spark plug location. But you gain a bunch more by doing this.

1. The heads don't crack between the spark plug hole and the valve seat.
2. There is a lot more engine tin out there for the taking.
3. They are much cheaper than the 2.0 heads.

The long term reliability of them is proven. The engine for Betty's car has a set that is close to 100K on them and they are still going strong.

Clay
mgphoto
I use a set of bus heads AMC, reworked into 2L heads, stainless valves, 12mm spark plug, 3 stud intake.

Installed 2012 30k miles runs great.

Click to view attachment
914werke
Rebuild the heads. BUT since you will be replacing seats & welding cracks re-size spark plugs to smaller 12mm or even 10mm units (I typically go 12mm but 10mm is a must for dual plug applications).
Addresses the potential for cracking in that same location due to more metal being left.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 12 2022, 01:25 PM) *

Rebuild the heads. BUT since you will be replacing seats & welding cracks re-size spark plugs to smaller 12mm or even 10mm units (I typically go 12mm but 10mm is a must for dual plug applications).
Addresses the potential for cracking in that same location due to more metal being left.

@914werk

Do you have a shop you recommend for this work?
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jun 11 2022, 07:48 PM) *

I think even Len stopped working on fixing the stock heads because of issues later on down the road, hidden cracks, more develop.

Couple of options:

See the cost of a local shop. One in Severna Park MD, maybe Cooker VW does them. Or ship them to Ollie's/someone else - cost dependent on time and what needs to be done

Cheapest option - AA Performance heads, bring them to a VW shop to get springs and valves installed. Should be fine.

Lens Chinese option - not sure if he has made any more since the last run. They were running good. I had them on an engine. Longevity seems fine. -$1500+ based on options

Lens bus conversion heads / Type4 store - I think these were $3400 last time I checked. Well made, pretty sure Raby runs these.

@nditiz1

Thank you for the suggestions.

What's the shop's name in Severna Park?

I'm familiar with Cooker VW (went to high school with Gene Cook actually). Hadn't considered them bc most of the work I hear of them doing is body, paint, interior, etc., but I'll check to see if they do motors too.

Tell me more about Ollie's - I'm not familiar. Is there a website?

JMT
I'm in the same boat as you. lost a valve seat 6 days ago and started a thread here. This is what I'm looking at. Maybe this is something you are looking for?

https://aapistons.com/collections/stock-per...eads-44x36-pair

One of the members recommended Tabari Andrade. He is a machinist on this site also.

Montreal914
European Motorworks (Jorge) in Hawthorn repaired my 2.0 heads a few years ago. Plugged the spark plug hole and re-drilled to 12mm. Don't know what they currently look like as I haven't dismantled the engine but was running nice after about 30k miles. Restoring the car at the moment. Might reopen the engine later.

Good luck! Seems like you have a few options between those NOS one offered, the AA new castings, repairing the current ones, and more.

Something to remember, the 914 2.0 heads were re-engineered by Porsche, that is why they differ from the bus 2.0 heads. They offer better performance. HAM (well known in the industry) does use the 914 2.0 chamber design in their heads, so it must be a good one. smile.gif
930cabman
Is HAM rebuilding? or is there a decent head rebuilder on the East coast?
DC_neun_vierzehn
Question ...

What are the differences between the 73-74 2.0 heads (039 101 351 E) and the 75-76 2.0 heads (039 101 351 G)?

Can they be used interchangeably (direct swaps)?

Thanks in advance.
JamesJ
I am having a 2056 built by European Motorworks and am using AA bare castings. They will be replacing the seats because they don't trust the seats they come with. The 2 liter heads flow better and have a more desirable spark plug location. Yes, they are more susceptible to cracking, but I am not concerned about it since I am using new heads. If you are concerned about cracking, you can have additional material added to new or used heads and go with a 12mm or 10mm spark plug hole, as was suggested. I didn't go that route because I didn't like the idea of adding material(and heating up) a new head. As far as I know, Len at HAM is using AA or AMC castings and improving them and is only building heads for sale via the Type IV Store. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong. If Len isn't using used heads, I wouldn't either...50 years old and too many heat cycles; but then again, he is a builder and has to stand behind his engines, you just have to sit in front of it. poke.gif
You mentioned keeping the motor stock, but consider going with 96mm P&C. It's a nice upgrade and you can keep your stock FI.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.