Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Targa Top for early 73 doors with scissor regulator?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeKopf
I have early 73 doors that have the scissor type regulator but do not have the impact bar.

Can I safely assume that I need the late targa top?

Thanks.

George
Montreal914
I was under the impression that the Targa top was linked with the window mechanism. confused24.gif

Real experts will chime in. smile.gif

popcorn[1].gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Jun 12 2022, 08:22 PM) *

I have early 73 doors that have the scissor type regulator but do not have the impact bar.

Can I safely assume that I need the late targa top?

Thanks.

George

It should be the late top. The latches changed with the top. Lay a nickle in between the bumps on the rear latch. If it fits snugly you need a late top. If you can fit a quarter it needs an early top.

Bruce
GeorgeKopf
Thank you.

I love this site.
Mikey914
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Jun 13 2022, 08:12 AM) *

Thank you.

I love this site.

Physically there are changes in the front of the roof and the way that the front latches interact with the windshield. I believe this to be a cost cutting measure in they way these were made.

It should not have any issues with which door you have. They are interchangeable.

You may need to adjust the windows if you change tops.

Besides it's summer....go topless!
GeorgeKopf
The reason that I'm asking is because I have three tops.

Two are early style and one is late style. My chassis and doors are completely disassembled.

I was thinking of having one of the tops painted to match the car and leaving one black.

If I can use the early tops then I'm all set. If I'm relegated to using a late top then I only have one so I would either need to find a new one or just stick with the black.

Thanks.

George
Mikey914
They are interchangeable, so I'd use one early (because you have 2) to paint. Keep the other "stock" one so that you have options.
frostyf
George for info,

I have a late 72 made (1973 VIN) with early doors (no reinforcement bars), late scissor winders and late glass. Not sure if PO swapped the lid but suspect it came with the early targa top and fittings. and an early targa top. Am in the process of swapping to a late top I was kindly given as the early one has ominous bulges over the back locator blocks/studs!
GeorgeKopf
Thank you, everybody. I will refurbish my early tops and have one painted to match the car and leave the other black.

shades.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.