Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts prep
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mgphoto
I picked up this NOS tail cover after I found out my speedo drive has been epoxied into the cover.

I cleaned my tranny and engine area recently with my steam buggy, worked out fine.

Click to view attachment

I wanted to use the steam buggy on the NOS tail cover, will there be any issues? After cleaning using nylon brushes and steam what should I do to protect the metal?Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Mike
mepstein
Steam is a great way to clean mag. It helps loosen the oil and dirt in the "pores" of the magnesium. There are different products to spray on to help protect and keep it clean. Go on the net and search to find the one that will work best for you.
mgphoto
Thanks that seems to have worked out for a good cleaning but I noticed that the gasket surface looks to have some oxidation, I was thinking of using a 600 grit wet/dry with some oil on a solid block to “flatten” the surface?

Click to view attachment
Montreal914
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 14 2022, 10:35 AM) *

I cleaned my tranny and engine area recently with my steam buggy, worked out fine.

Click to view attachment

Wow, steam cleaner seems to work great! smile.gif I think I need to get one... idea.gif

Thank you for sharing this picture and good luck with your gearbox project.
mepstein
We used a large diesel fired steam pressure washer at the shop and it worked great. It melted off grease and tar. Better than chemicals. Not cheap.
mgphoto
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 14 2022, 01:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 14 2022, 10:35 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Wow, steam cleaner seems to work great! smile.gif I think I need to get one... idea.gif

Thank you for sharing this picture and good luck with your gearbox project.

Additional secret, use a rag with a little gasoline to get the tough spots.
rgalla9146
DO NOT use gasoline and a wire brush.
The vopors are more flamable than standing liquid.
A spark will cause disaster.
I've witnessed it.
mgphoto
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Jun 14 2022, 01:17 PM) *

Thanks that seems to have worked out for a good cleaning but I noticed that the gasket surface looks to have some oxidation, I was thinking of using a 600 grit wet/dry with some oil on a solid block to “flatten” the surface?

Click to view attachment

I went ahead with the wet-dry, used 800 grit with a few drops of Marvel Mystery oil backed by a solid wood block.
Surface looks good.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.