Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Mirror Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mharrison
Does anyone have instructions for removing the glass from 911 mirrors? It's my understanding that there are two mechanisms depending on the year. I don't know what year mine are and I don't want to mess them up.

I am trying to remove the glass and motor so I can extend the wires that were cut off flush. I don't know if they'll ever get wired up, but I want them ready!!

mikeyb33
funny, I asked the same question late last year. I was told the mirror just pops off. But I have to admit I still haven't tried it yet, so try it at your own risk...

Here's the thread (it includes a spiffy wiring diagram for hooking up the mirrors):
911 mirrors wiring, or something

good luck !
markb
Gently pry the glass from the backing plate. Then you can access the screws that hold everything to the housing.
Root_Werks
QUOTE (markb @ Aug 4 2005, 11:45 AM)
Gently pry the glass from the backing plate. Then you can access the screws that hold everything to the housing.

agree.gif All the ones I have ever seen are just held in by 3 (I think?) metal spring clip/tab things. wink.gif
John
agree.gif

When I did my 930 a few years ago, I thought everyone was crazy when they told me to pry them off. I did and they did pop off. They actually pop back on too.

(I had to tighten the mirrors at the swivel as they would vibrate and bounce around.)

You will need a round terminal pick to release the pins from the round plug connector.

mharrison
See I think that there are two different types of assemblies:
user posted image

http://www.bentleypublishers.com/gallery.h...m=16&subject=15

From the above link:
"The main difference between the early style mirror and the later style mirror is the way the glass is mounted to the motor assembly. On 1983-1986 cars, the glass is retained by pins at all four corners. On 1987 and later cars, the glass is retained by a circular locking ring. The procedures given are for the 1987 - 1989 mirror assembly, the early assembly is similar. "
All the ones I have ever seen are just held in by 3 (I think?) metal spring clip/tab things.

Do the one's with the the three tabs have the small round hole in the bottom of the housing? This is where the small screwdriver is supposed to be inserted as in the picture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.