Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deal on Mobil 1 15w50
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gereed75
Just went down to local Pep Boys to get the Mobil 1 15w50 that I run in the six and my Datsun 510. It is their high ZDDP formula. The store is not going to handle it anymore so “closing it out”.

$23 bucks for the 5 qt jug. piratenanner.gif

Not sure if that great deal is nationwide or just my local store. Checkout girl thought it was at all stores, at least in this area. Bought all five they had.
emerygt350
Wow, that is an excellent price. Sadly no pep boys near me.
Justinp71
Walmart also has a great deal on it typically. I am running it now, I like it alot I feel like the motor does run cool and smooth with it. but I have a small wet area on my new motor. I am going to try shifting to VR1 next time and see if it goes away.
Steve
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 15 2022, 02:42 PM) *

Just went down to local Pep Boys to get the Mobil 1 15w50 that I run in the six and my Datsun 510. It is their high ZDDP formula. The store is not going to handle it anymore so “closing it out”.

$23 bucks for the 5 qt jug. piratenanner.gif

Not sure if that great deal is nationwide or just my local store. Checkout girl thought it was at all stores, at least in this area. Bought all five they had.

Curious how can you tell the new ZDDP formula from the old stuff? Is it labeled somewhere?
eric9144
I think the oil guys are figuring out that the older car crowd still has interest in the 'right' oil--Castrol is also back with a Classic blend:
Click to view attachment
Steve
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 16 2022, 07:54 AM) *

I think the oil guys are figuring out that the older car crowd still has interest in the 'right' oil--Castrol is also back with a Classic blend:
Click to view attachment

In the old days "70's" the air cooled crowd loved Castrol. Just last year PMS put Castrol 20-50 in my 3.2. But.. I remember mechanics saying Castrol has a "foaming" issue and is not recommended for our motors anymore.
Have any of you heard of this? I have been running VR1 for quite some time now, but when I had a 993 I ran Mobile One 15-50, but then there was the whole ZDDP issue and people stopped using it.
Justinp71
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 16 2022, 08:09 AM) *

In the old days "70's" the air cooled crowd loved Castrol. Just last year PMS put Castrol 20-50 in my 3.2. But.. I remember mechanics saying Castrol has a "foaming" issue and is not recommended for our motors anymore.
Have any of you heard of this? I have been running VR1 for quite some time now, but when I had a 993 I ran Mobile One 15-50, but then there was the whole ZDDP issue and people stopped using it.

Yes castrol GTX was the oil back in the 80's and 90's according to my uncle with his 911. But they dropped the zinc out of the regular GTX sometime in the 2000's.

ZDDP issue with castrol or mobil 1? The 15w50 mobil 1 is still high in zinc, 1200 phosphorus and 1300 zinc. mobil 1 is my favorite oil but I am going to switch to VR1 and see if it stops some minor oil seeping I have.
GregAmy
Don't places like California have a problem with ZDDP? And that other states are following suit on California's regs? If so then I suspect it may be a growing supply problem.

I've "standardized" on VR1 because it still offers good levels of ZDDP, but I've also occasionally mixed in various Rotella to get the zinc when needed.
Steve
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jun 16 2022, 08:47 AM) *

Don't places like California have a problem with ZDDP? And that other states are following suit on California's regs? If so then I suspect it may be a growing supply problem.

I've "standardized" on VR1 because it still offers good levels of ZDDP, but I've also occasionally mixed in various Rotella to get the zinc when needed.

I was told the ZDDP was hard on catalytic converters, but I have not seen any laws banning it in CA. It's just hard to find at times.
eric9144

Just last year PMS put Castrol 20-50 in my 3.2. But.. I remember mechanics saying Castrol has a "foaming" issue and is not recommended for our motors anymore.

idea.gif Interesting, I'd taken my car to PMS because it puked oil out the breather, had a long conversation about oils and foaming and how my issue had probably occurred etc, and they also put Castrol 20-50 in mine.

Wouldn't have expected them to land on Castrol if there's foaming issues. blink.gif
gereed75
You can go to the Mobil 1 site and there they list the contents of each formula.
JamesM
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 16 2022, 06:54 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I have been running DT50 in my 914s but the Castrol classic caught my eye last time i was in the store.

Haven't looked into it yet, my only concern is if it is synthetic or not and how it holds up to heat. While the zinc is great need to look at the thermal breakdown as well.

Never ran Mobil 1 in a 914 but used to run it on all my other cars. I stopped a few years ago when i realized that just about every motor I ran it in ran quieter when switching to Castrol synthetic (or really any other oil that wasn't Mobil 1) Not sure why but the difference in valve train noise was noticeable.
mgphoto
QUOTE(JamesM @ Jun 16 2022, 02:25 PM) *

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 16 2022, 06:54 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I have been running DT50 in my 914s but the Castrol classic caught my eye last time i was in the store.

Haven't looked into it yet, my only concern is if it is synthetic or not and how it holds up to heat. While the zinc is great need to look at the thermal breakdown as well.

Never ran Mobil 1 in a 914 but used to run it on all my other cars. I stopped a few years ago when i realized that just about every motor I ran it in ran quieter when switching to Castrol synthetic (or really any other oil that wasn't Mobil 1) Not sure why but the difference in valve train noise was noticeable.

The Castor GTX at the time had an orange cap, definitely the type to use back in the day.
That refinery became Brad Penn, they still make the original GTX formula now under the Penn 1 name. I don’t know what the formula behind the new classic oil is but it is half price?
Dion
That’s a nice price on the Mobil 1.
I’m currently running the Castrol in my 6.
Their chemistry looks good to me as far as zddp.
mlindner
I used the VR-i for the brake in, now using Penn Grade 1 20/50. Little higher oil pressure when warmed up. Motors sounds like it likes it. Oil recommended by Accumoto Motorsport for all the older 911 air cooled engines.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
GregAmy
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 17 2022, 09:19 AM) *
...recommended by Accumoto Motorsport...

Tell Mark that "Greg says howdy."
Steve
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jun 16 2022, 12:37 PM) *

Just last year PMS put Castrol 20-50 in my 3.2. But.. I remember mechanics saying Castrol has a "foaming" issue and is not recommended for our motors anymore.

idea.gif Interesting, I'd taken my car to PMS because it puked oil out the breather, had a long conversation about oils and foaming and how my issue had probably occurred etc, and they also put Castrol 20-50 in mine.

Wouldn't have expected them to land on Castrol if there's foaming issues. blink.gif

That was over 30 years ago, that the bug guys made that statement. I trust that PMS knows what they are doing. I’m a huge fan of PMS.
mlindner
I will Greg, should see him this week at Kelly-Moss Road/Race. He will be driving at the Brian Redman Vintage races (RA) July15 weekend.
GregAmy
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 17 2022, 11:05 AM) *

I will Greg, should see him this week at Kelly-Moss Road/Race. He will be driving at the Brian Redman Vintage races (RA) July15 weekend.

beerchug.gif

Love that guy. Ask him about our 'Ring trip, way too many years ago, and the APR racing.

Click to view attachment
nditiz1
I just picked up some Castrol classic that I will be trying in my 6 as well. I have been using VR1 for a few years.

@Mlindner - nice engine bay smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.