Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 986 s hubs and brakes to 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TrickyDigit
I have a 2001 986 s Boxster (bad ims) for parts for a 914-6 (tribute) that I purchased from patssle here. I am looking for info to use the Hubs and Brakes from the Boxster on the 914, so my question is can anyone point me to a post that details this? I had thought when looking under the Boxster that best solution would be to just adapt the 914 to receive the Boxster front and back sub frame and use the transaxle as well (what is ultimately what I would like best, but I was told that would be foolish) any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Most of the swaps on suspension and brake parts are 911 and 944 has been mentioned a few times but not so much about Boxsters, and I am confused: is not the best transaxle is from a 986 s? so why wouldn't ya just save all the bits and pieces swaps and just take the whole suspension subframe and brakes from the Boxster. it is oh so unappreciated in the market and can be had for the cheap, I paid 1k for this one, it starts with no problem. It souns and feels like there is a steel barrel with 50lb parts just bouncing about

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
QUOTE(TrickyDigit @ Jun 16 2022, 09:29 AM) *

. . . I was told that would be foolish

You should listen to whoever provided that wisdom. happy11.gif

welcome.png
Shivers
This fella is probably closest as far as the suspension/brakes. Whole lot of work.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=206845
ClayPerrine
I put a 2006 Cayman S transmission in a 914 with a 964 motor. Hooking a water cooled Porsche transmission to an air cooled Porsche motor is not for the faint of heart. It is a HUGE job.

If you want to see how I did it, it is in my build thread.. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=279084

Was it easy? Hell No.
Was it worth it? Hell Yes!

It is a strong transmission, and having an extra gear makes it really nice on the freeway.

I have considered putting a Boxster/Cayman subframe under the rear of the car, but I don't think I would gain much by doing it. As for the front suspension, it would require extensive body mods to install it. I would rather put an 911 RSR coilover setup on their instead. It should bolt on.

I hope that helps.
SirAndy
If you want to keep the complete suspension etc. your best bet is to graft 914 body panels onto the Boxster frame.
sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif
brant
Sounds like a good way to add weight
The opposite of good braking and handling

Put carbon brake pads onto stock calipers, with actual performance tires... and that’s enough unless you have crazy horsepower

they put big brakes on modern cars because they weigh so much
mlindner
And you can put the Boxster brakes on the 914, just with an adapter...not using the hubs.
Chris914n6
Box hubs are practically 911 clones. Parking brake is 911 parts. Nothing special about using Box parts instead of 911. S calipers are way overkill. Most upgrades are done with the base model brembos. Supposedly the Box eng & trans will fit with moving a couple of coils.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...46435&st=40
TrickyDigit
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 16 2022, 08:50 AM) *

QUOTE(TrickyDigit @ Jun 16 2022, 09:29 AM) *

. . . I was told that would be foolish

You should listen to whoever provided that wisdom. happy11.gif

welcome.png

It was Scott at renegade hybrids, and yes I would imagine he may have learned a thing or two along the way
cooler
I'm kind of late to the party but I often wonder if I should have swapped the whole rear chassis subframe and suspension from 986 or 996.
mepstein
Boxster brakes = easy swap
Boxster trans = a lot of work
Boxster subframe = redesign and rebuild the whole back end.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.