Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i just saw jake raby's bluebonic video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
who'se to poor soul saying jesus christ laugh.gif laugh.gif

fatlando
stoopid fat fingers....

what i meant to say was....who's the poor soul saying "jesus christ"!
Jake Raby
A fellow from the STF that stopped by the shop a few weeks back.....

BTW- Thats my daily driver and has been all summer, since March actually...

9K miles and not even a valve adjustmentnot even a carb synch!I have not touched the engine!... Very tame on the street (except the 3K pound clutch) and well behaved unless you are on the throttle...Then you better hold on because the engine makes 200 pounds of torque at less than 3000 RPM max torque was 237!....... 235HP at only 5500 RPM (196 RWHP @ 5K)

and.....25-27 MPG!
and.......it runs head temps of 275 and oil temps of 220 at max in 95 degree heat!

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=87467

There is a thread about it on my forum from the guy that took the video.. read the last page at the response from another member that drove the car a few days ago...

Oh yeah....... Thats all with a small set of 48mm carbs, and a combo thats totally screwed up because it was my first try at making cylinder heads from scratch (I need to redesign the rockers so I can run a ratio rocker so I'm .175 shy of the optimum net valve lift!!)

In 6 months this engine will be 300 ponies with Autronic EFI, a head mod or two and my roller cam and lifters.

The best part is that she idles at 800 RPM, doesn't sound built at all and drives smooth as glass!

She'll be coming apart after the SCCA Run offs for a wear asessment and the updates... I'm contemplating driving it to the run offs with the datalogger on board for one good long final trip before starting all over again on 3.0 V2!
McMark
Yeah, I watched that recently for the first time. That things MOOVES!
Jake Raby
You should drive it.... Unlike anything in the world that I have driven so far- it gives a complete new meaning to the word "Torque".
Sparky
Dam it Jake, as I get closer and closer to the date for doing my swap and puttnig in a built 3.0/6 you keep drawing me back to the 4 side. mad.gif But since I have the 6 and everything to do the swap I have to go forward. Gee maybe the wife wants a teener happy11.gif ...

Mike D.
Jake Raby
Hey, just go on a diet and lose 150 pounds- then your teener won't notice the weight gain from the engine that hass too many cylinders mueba.gif
fatlando
Jake,

Since your technology is advancing so quickly, i'll be more than happy to take your motors when you're done with them....i'll even take them for free!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif
Jake Raby
Hell, most of them are donors for the next combo...I recycle R&D parts as much as possible!

Otherwise I couldn't even eat!
MikeP
Where is the link to the video?
fatlando
QUOTE (MikeP @ Aug 4 2005, 10:36 AM)
Where is the link to the video?

Hope you don't mind jake...

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/blue.AVI
Jake Raby
Not at all... Thats why I put the link on my site!
Jake Raby
Gimme a damn break!

The guy drove 6 hours to see my shop, wanted a ride and I took him up the road and back- JEEZ!!!!

don't tell me you have NEVER BROKEN THE SPEED LIMIT ON A PUBLIC STREET!

if YOU EVER HAVE you're just as "Guilty" as me!

Did you see me racing another car? Hell no!

BTW- that car belongs to me, not my business- if you wanna start some crap and whine- whine about the owner/ driver and not my business!

Loosen up a bit dude- pissoff.gif

I hate political correctness- finger.gif

welcome to the real world where rules are broken but we get the damn job done-

My business is well respected because I make power, do what I say and don't sugar coat crap to make people feel good- It's not well respected because of my driving habits!

Come over and go for a ride- I'll be sure to break every rule in the book for ya!

Jake Raby
I have a rather faint memory since the lightning strike, but I don't recollect ever encouraging people here or anywhere to go wide ass open down the street....

Oh.... It must be like the people that say kids play video games, then go down the street and blow another kids head off his shoulders because of the game.... Like "Indirect encouragement"..... I get it-

Maybe I should tell you the story about the local ON DUTY COP that raced that same bug at 2 Am THROUGH MY TOWN (we only have 2 street lights) one night just 7 years ago.... The COP challenged ME and said he'd give me a ticket if I lost- I took him up on it.

Yeah- I spanked that Crown Vic's ass- he had to Blue Light me just to cover his tail in case someone saw us- but at 2 Am in this town the only thing on the street are Possums!

The one better than that was when I got pulled over by a state trooper at the top of that same hill (in the plague video) for loud exhaust..... I was testing the engine out because it had a miss at 8,000 RPM (back when it was TI powered) and I could not figure it out..

So I didn't have my license on me, nor an insurance card and the decklid was off the car (with the tag attached to it, back at the shop)... It was burning race gas and had big white "Dial in" numbers on the back window.... I figured I was screwed so I'd just be nice, not lie and see what happened.

Cop walked up and asked me what I was doing and I told him the truth. He asked me how fast I was going and I told him the speedo only registers 85 and I really didn't know... He starts looking for the VIN # and I told him it was stamped under the back seat- he then asks "Where is the back seat?" and I respond "I took it out because it weighed too much".... Then he asks why the numbers were on the back of the car- if it had been impounded and given those numbers.. I said NOPE- thats from Last Friday night at the strip... Hethen asks me why I had slicks on the back and I told him that it was dangerous to drive with street tires...

So he goes back to the car, writes me a ticket for THIRTEEN VIOLATIONS and comes back to the car.... He then sees my Marine Corp sticker on the opposite side of the car in the QTR window and asked me if I was a Marine.. I responded, yes sir.... He tore the ticket up, tole me that he had never had someone actually tell him the truth before and sid he was ONLY going to warn me anyway- But I could have easily went to jail!

BTW_ The video is not advertising any product.... The engine in that car can't be purchased.. unsure.gif
Type 4 Unleashed
What's the use of having HP, if you don't use it once in a while?

Last night coming back from In & Out Burger, a few of us opened it up a little, I went up to 110, and I never did catch the V8 teener.

And I got my need for speed satisfied for a couple of days happy11.gif
Jake Raby
But I dont have a high performance car shop

Neither do I.... I don't work on cars, or build them for other people- Just engines and I don't install them!

if you think the Dukes of Hazard image enhances your image more power to you

Well my grandpa hauled shine and ran from the "Law" about once a day for 40 years and didn't kill anyone so that image is about fitting... Especially when There are still remains of a boiler in the woods way down behind the shop... ohmy.gif (been meaning to drag that baby up and see if it still works rolleyes.gif )

Doesnt sell me.

Ok..... It wasn't suppose to.

I just think your engines deserve a higher quality video.

Yeah- Me too that one was shot wth one of those cheesy little digital camera camcorder thingies, next time I'll strap the XL-1 to the roof with some duct tape and see if I can't get a better pic of the front wheels off the ground.. biggrin.gif
messix
speed kills... acceleration is just big kick in the ass to put a big sh-t eatin grin on on your face. keep it under the wad your car up ifin you wreck speed and live longer.
messix
hey jake are these quotes coming from pms
Jake Raby
Yeah, in that video I only got up to about 75 MPH before I backed out of it.... Didn't even get into 4th gear and wasn't topped out in 3rd..

I don't run around at 100+ anymore like I used to, now open her up through 3rd and I'm happy....

Well its time to take a break and go grab some groceries... I can't go to the store at any normal hour because everyone knows me and wants to BS all day so I have to go at night.... I think I'll take the Bug and go break some rules and wake up the neighbors!
(Damn that 3" magnaflow and set of 2" primaries sounds good!)
messix
go have fun Jake. .keep it in second and just keep snapping the throttle
jgiroux67
No where in that video even shows him breaking the speed limit. It doesnt show a speedometer so theres no actual proof that hes breaking the law.
Jake Raby
I'm already back!

Hell there is not even any proof that the road I'm on isn't "Raby Drive" and on my friggin property!!!!

Oh- I forgot the disclaimer..

"Not a public highway, insane driver- don't drive like this maniac unless you want to shatter your tranny!"
Verruckt
I've emailed the link to that video, and the site, to alot of my TI & TIV friends. They all say the same thing.. "Holy Shit!!!"

I agree Jake, you need to put up a more detailed video. Don't neccessarily need to go into the video production business, but a nice video of wheels up, smoking rear tires, maybe even the passengers wet pants. Would be cool. wink.gif
Root_Werks
I was driving a 914-6 years back and noticed a "Your Speed" trailer up ahead. happy11.gif You know the 2 digit ones read 85, 92, 04 happy11.gif

As I get older, I don't much have the balls to go very fast anymore. Seems like I am more tired and just worried about some A-Hole running into my car than anything. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.