Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: urgent part number needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
to help a german couple who have broken down.

They have a 73 2.0 model. the inner cv joint has failed. can someone confirm the part number and or what other models are the same.

TIA
brant
I don't have a part number
but the original joints were NLA for a long time and last I heard, porsche classic had them again but only sold a complete axle with 2 joints on it. It might have changed as I have not looked recently.

the solution that people used when they were NLA were to buy the VW bug CV joint that was available. and drill it for the roll pin stud and maybe the gasket groove...

these are sold often already modified by shops in the US

a used joint is probably the quickest way... or find a shop in europe that sells the modified VW joint.

brant
JFG
thanks for the speedy reply. it looks as though they are going to have to ship a spare over here that they have at home.
sportlicherFahrer
Edited: Please see info below from Superhawk996

Part number is 914-332-029-03.
GeorgeKopf
According to the PET catalog.

All models have the same CV joint.

914 332 029 03

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Good Luck

George

Superhawk996
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jun 16 2022, 02:08 PM) *

Another bit of info:

The new CV's that Porsche is making can be found individually, but only fit the new axle shafts they are making. They changed the splines and do not fit original axle shafts.

Part number is 914-332-029-03.

Refinement to info above -- the part number above only fits 914/6 axles due to spline count difference.

As previously stated, Porsche Classic was last selling complete axles with two of the CV's noted above and a reproduction of the 914/6 axle and splines. These complete axle assemblies will bolt on to a 914/4 as long as they purchase the complete axle assembly.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Jun 16 2022, 02:10 PM) *

914 332 029 03

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Good Luck

George

The problem with PET is that it doesn't reflect what the idiots at Porsche Classic have done which is to use the /4 part number with the /6 spline count CV's they are now offering. Ask the poor guys like @bbrock that purchased that p/n from Porsche only to find it doesn't fit a /4 axle.

I also notice they are now using the same axle part number for both 914/4 and 914/6 -- As built in the 70's, they were clearly different. I have a physical set of each -- never forget laugh.gif I have also purchased the new CV's from Porsche and indeed they fit the 914/6 axle shafts.

I suspect Porsche Classic knows little to nothing about 914's. We'll call it a revision of 914 history. Part differences between 914/4 and 914/6 are now down the memory hole av-943.gif
sportlicherFahrer
@Superhawk996 Thank you for the clarification! Edited my previous response.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
buy the rebuilt axle plenty in stock
914werke
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 16 2022, 12:31 PM) *
Covered before, NLA. I wouldn't usually advocate "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" but in this case you are probably best served by replacing the axle & getting both good CV's rather than risk the other (of likely equal vintage) to fail in short order.
Othwerwise Id say: I have a NEW replacement CV's in stock HERE biggrin.gif
bkrantz
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jun 16 2022, 12:14 PM) *

QUOTE(GeorgeKopf @ Jun 16 2022, 02:10 PM) *

914 332 029 03

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Good Luck

George

The problem with PET is that it doesn't reflect what the idiots at Porsche Classic have done which is to use the /4 part number with the /6 spline count CV's they are now offering. Ask the poor guys like @bbrock that purchased that p/n from Porsche only to find it doesn't fit a /4 axle.

I also notice they are now using the same axle part number for both 914/4 and 914/6 -- As built in the 70's, they were clearly different. I have a physical set of each -- never forget laugh.gif I have also purchased the new CV's from Porsche and indeed they fit the 914/6 axle shafts.

I suspect Porsche Classic knows little to nothing about 914's. We'll call it a revision of 914 history. Part differences between 914/4 and 914/6 are now down the memory hole av-943.gif

I went through that useless process twice, after Pelican posted a special listing for CVs, with a claim that they were correct for 914-4s. First order, wrong spline count. I returned those for exchange, with Pelican telling me they could get the right spline count with a special order from Germany. Turned out those were also wrong.
Chaznaster
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 16 2022, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 16 2022, 12:31 PM) *
Covered before, NLA. I wouldn't usually advocate "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" but in this case you are probably best served by replacing the axle & getting both good CV's rather than risk the other (of likely equal vintage) to fail in short order.
Othwerwise Id say: I have a NEW replacement CV's in stock HERE biggrin.gif

Rich's machined CVs are a good option based on my experience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.