Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
a.munoz3
hmmmmmmmm.... ok unsure.gif i was taking a turn atleast 50 mph into a road that leads to the freeway. me thinking nothing more but i can take the turn i pretty much slid into the curve broke the back driver side aluminum rim and slid into a 360 and end up being completely opposite on the street ohmy.gif . now it looks like i need atleast 2 new rims and one tire wacko.gif and thats not all folks my left tire turns and my right one doesnt really move sad.gif anyone have any advice or how much its going to cost to repair? ill probably post pics tommorrow and btw my back hurts huh.gif. i just wanna ar15.gif my self
Dave_Darling
Time to check out, well, everything associated with the suspension, and possibly everything the suspension bolts to.

I managed to do about $2400 worth of damage to my car in a similar situation, once. Spun out, collected a curb, wound up facing the opposite way. Took out the left-rear trailing arm, the left-rear wheel, the brake caliper, the hub, rotor, wheel bearing, shock, CV joint (or whole axle?), broke the mounting ears off the transmission... I didn't do any damage to the chassis; I was lucky in that regard.

This was a while ago, but in an area where labor rates were not cheap. (SF Bay Area.) They're more expensive, here, nowadays--so I would expect similar damage to be rather more expensive to fix these days.

--DD
a.munoz3
well when my wheel broke off the whole tire went under the brake rotor and spun around like that and i believe it protected the back rotors and stuff hmm.... im not sure ill have to get it checked out
nebreitling
sounds like you can't do the work yourself. if that's the case, then you'll be lucky to get out for under 1500. hopefully you didn't do any suspension damage, but be sure to have a competent porsche mechanic verify this.

put it back together and enjoy it, but be safe out there. nothing pisses me off like reckless driving on public roads.
SirAndy
your trailing arms will be bend. well, at least one of them, but you need to check both.
it's *no* fun running with bent trailing arms. ask he how i know ... unsure.gif

glad you're OK ...

as said above, you'll need to go through every nut and bold on that suspension and make sure stuff is still OK, if not, replace it.

same goes for the tranny, check the mounts for cracks etc., check the axles, HEs, shift rod, engine mounts ...

smash.gif Andy
bd1308
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 4 2005, 12:39 AM)
it's *no* fun running with bent trailing arms. ask he how i know ...

how do you know?
SGB
No body damage?
smilie_pokal.gif
It'll be OK. It's not like these cars don't toss suspension compenents off the rear anyway, but usually the other side!
biggrin.gif
Damage areas- prolly CV joint, trailing arm, trailing arm attachment point, trans ears, shock absorber.
sad.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 4 2005, 05:43 AM)
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Aug 4 2005, 12:39 AM)
it's *no* fun running with bent trailing arms. ask he how i know ...
how do you know?

because i have been doing it for the last 5 years ...

took a while to figure out why i had 2"s of alignement shims but still -1 deg. of camber. headbang.gif

PO must have hit something hard and didn't replace the trailing arms. makes aligning the car correct virtually impossible ...

so i got myself a set of these:
bd1308
well at least they are fast.
TravisNeff
Andrew, what type of rims and tire sizes do you need?
a.munoz3
here is pic before my car went through hell

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

those are the exact rims
Dave_Darling
Tough to see what they are in that pic, it's pretty dark... Eight-spoke Empi-type wheels??

--DD
TravisNeff
I have a set of western wheels, with lugs. Two wheels have a little bend so they take some extra wheel weights - need to be used on the rear of the car and a set of 195x60 tires that are still usable. Free to you, if you don't want them I will do a freebie to anyone local that needs them.
a.munoz3
yes they are empi 8 spoke wheels
a.munoz3
any of all the AZ people know where i can take it to get it fixed well and get a good price on fixing it?
TravisNeff
Stuttgart Southwest, Becks and there is someone that can do frame straightening. If you want some shadetree help, I am game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.