Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Window winder - help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Hi All

The plastic trim on my window winder is broken.

Is there a special way to get the handle off to replace the trim?
Also can you get just the plastic trim and not the entire handle?
mgphoto
QUOTE(Biggles @ Jun 19 2022, 02:07 AM) *

Hi All

The plastic trim on my window winder is broken.

Is there a special way to get the handle off to replace the trim?
Also can you get just the plastic trim and not the entire handle?

Unfortunately the only way to remove the cover is the remove the knob but that destroys the function as you will not be able to replace the knob, it will keep pulling off while using it.
Find the broken piece and glue it back on.
New ones are available, simple inexpensive VW part.
FlacaProductions
https://914rubber.com/chrome-window-crank-1
among others....
porschetub
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 20 2022, 02:52 AM) *

agree.gif most likely the best source,I ended up buying 2 sets as the first set were rubbish,and the second set were better from a different seller.
The first set the plastic trim cover was poorly made and would have soon broken like the op has,however the biggest issue is the cast spline was a very loose fit on my regulator resulting in the handle rubbing on the the door trim panel.
Sort of buyer beware really ?.
914sgofast2
On you can buy a heavy duty aluminum window crank from GoWesty.com for $29 each as used on VW buses and Vanagons. It won't break or come apart like the repro cranks being sold these days. However, the GoWesty crank does not look the same as the VW Bug style that Porsche used on the 914s; it's a black billet part with increased spacing so you don't wear a circle in the door panel when you turn the window crank to rise and lower the window.
nathanxnathan
I think a lot of the time when the crank hits the door panel it's because the spacer is missing. Porsche PET calls it a "desk pad", VW calls it "Packing — Window winder handle" part number 111 837 595 A I think.

I got some repros from CIP1, but I'm not really happy with them as the joint where the knob pivots is very tight and fights to keep from turning as you wind the window.
Biggles
QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Jun 20 2022, 08:16 PM) *

I think a lot of the time when the crank hits the door panel it's because the spacer is missing. Porsche PET calls it a "desk pad", VW calls it "Packing — Window winder handle" part number 111 837 595 A I think.

I got some repros from CIP1, but I'm not really happy with them as the joint where the knob pivots is very tight and fights to keep from turning as you wind the window.

Thanks everyone and for the mention of the 'desk pad'. I dont have those on my car but i'll get some. It amazes me how many little washers, grommets, clips arent on my car that got lost over time...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.