Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-8 GT Conversion street/race/AX car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
karlo
1974 Porsche 914-8 GT Conversion for sale: $19000 OBO

Click to view attachment

Do you enjoy somewhat absurd cars?

Click to view attachment

I am considering parting ways with my Porsche 914-8 GT. Family life doesn’t leave me enough time with the car, and it’s better if someone with more time on their hands can play around with her.

Click to view attachment

Black 1974, VIN #4742921095, originally 1.8 914 for sale, currently located in San Diego, CA. She has received numerous upgrades over the years, and is not quite so pedestrian any more. Former AX car, but I’ve changed a number of things to make street use more pleasant.

Bodyshell: Hell hole and the usual rust has been completely sorted. Battery relocated to front trunk. Engman longs stiffening kit has been professionally installed, along with parts of the GT chassis stiffening kit. Rear shock towers are stiffened and the transmission mounts are reinforced. Steel GT flares all around (Autoatlanta type), welded and front side indicators deleted. Original black car, however, the car should be resprayed. So-Cal weather is rough on cars, so the dashboard is cracked in several places, and some of the rubber has seen better days. There are the usual non-critical rust holes in the rear trunk, I have just cleaned them up and stopped the rust. Gas struts for front and rear hood, instead of the huge springs.

Click to view attachment

Inside the car the following upgrades have been made:

⁃ 915 shifter
⁃ Dino steering wheel
⁃ Pedal cluster upgraded with bronze bushings
⁃ VDO electronic speedo
⁃ Center console with temperature, oil pressure and wideband O2
⁃ Engman aluminum pedal board
⁃ Reinforced clutch tube
⁃ 914rubber speaker pods
⁃ 944 retracting belts, four point harness can come with the car

Custom 914-8 emblem in the back.

Click to view attachment

Suspension: Front suspension is completely 911, with Elephant Racing monoball camber plates for much improved steering response. Turbo tie-rods, Elephant racing polybronze control arm bearings, 19mm torsion bars and Bilstein shocks. Later style Boge struts with 3.5” brake spacing. 1 inch spacer for wider track. Front sway bar and Tarett Engineering drop links.

Proper 5-lug converted hubs, 205/55/16 tires on 944 turbo (951) 7x16 Fuchs wheels, the only 16” that will fit over the 993TT turbo brakes. 22mm torsion bars can come with the car.

Rear suspension has Weltmeister poly-graphite trailing arm bushings. Adjustable Koni shock absorbers. Rear sway bar is not mounted, but comes with the car. Currently 245/50/16 tires on 7x16 Fuchs wheels.

Click to view attachment

Brakes: BIG red front brakes (993TT turbo) to actually stop the car. M-caliper brakes in the rear, 911 emergency brake. I have Boxster S rear brakes ready to go on the car, just missing the rotors. 19mm brake master cylinder, brake front/rear proportioning valve. Steel braided brake lines for firm pedal feeling. 21mm spacers for wider track.

Click to view attachment

Transmission: flipped 915 5-speed magnesium case transmission. Upgraded with the later stronger main shaft and CMS one piece billet bearing retainer for better longevity and surviving the extra torque. Quaife limited slip differential, this car hooks up and goes. Kevlar clutch disc, stiff pressure plate. Big CVs to actually handle the power.

Click to view attachment

Engine: ZZ3 350 small block chevy 345 hp @ 5200, 387 lb-ft @ 3250, comical levels of power for a car this size. Aluminum heads, pink rods, 1053 forged crank, Hyper pistons, roller cam. Currently running a Megasquirt 3 ECU + wideband O2 sensor for injection and ignition control, using a Holley Terminator 4BBL throttle body, which runs strong, but the EFI intake is not 100% suited to the engine. If you don’t like it, you can just put a carburettor on it or get the matching Holley Terminator X ECU. New offset gear reduction starter, never has any issues turning the engine over. Engine has run 10705 miles since new.

Click to view attachment

Cooling system and overall conversion kit is from Renegade Hybrids, with various improvements throughout.

Click to view attachment

As is the case with these cars, this 914 is brutally fast with supercar performance and seemingly infinite power on tap, if not particularly refined. The only place you could reasonably use all the power would be on a race track. My plan was to change the engine to an LS engine for something a little easier to handle. Cosmetically, the car needs a little TLC, in particular it deserves a good paint job to make it the eye opener that it really is.

Click to view attachment

Send me a message if you're interested!

- Karl
karlo
Bump! Here's a short video walking around the idling car: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9zitJY-KSE

- Karl
flat4guy
Any driving videos?
karlo
Unfortunately, no. The car is currently sitting at my in-laws in SD and I'm far away, so I cannot make any right now either.

- Karl
Beach914
PM Sent
stoked_on_spool
I'm in San Diego myself and quite interested. PM coming.

Thanks,

Bret
myoceansoul
Sent you PM message can travel to SD anytime
Tim
The Double S
PM Sent
Beach914
Did the auction end on this car?
Steve
What was the winning bid? blink.gif
Liberty45
Is this car still for sale ?
Beach914
He was selling it to the highest bidder above the price posted. I offered the posted price as the first one to see it. I didnt get it.
Steve
QUOTE(Liberty45 @ Sep 9 2022, 03:58 PM) *

I think its sold. I saw a post of what looked like the same car from the new owner in the garage. It had a broken inner CV joint or flange? Even a 915 gear box cannot handle hole shots from a v8.
stoked_on_spool
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 12 2022, 01:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Liberty45 @ Sep 9 2022, 03:58 PM) *

I think its sold. I saw a post of what looked like the same car from the new owner in the garage. It had a broken inner CV joint or flange? Even a 915 gear box cannot handle hole shots from a v8.

Correct, I purchased the car... and now I'm fixing it. lol. 915 gearbox be damned! Should be going under the knife later this month to get the 915 (LSD) sorted out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.