Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dion
https://youtu.be/hJTNsH-SIqk

My friend Rich in England shared this link.

Trick stuff. I’m actually liking the execution in these.
914sgofast2
I want one of each!
NARP74
Glad to see the final version of the custom car they started a while ago. Felt like we were left hanging a bit as the world stopped. Love the classic too.
9146C
Impressed with this video!

As I was rebuilding my car last year, I thought, EV will likely be the next iteration for my 914 (after I've exhausted the current 2.7L!). biggrin.gif

Hoping that in another 10 years or so, battery technology advances even further.
Montreal914
Thank you for sharing this link. smile.gif

Enjoyed watching it but I wish they would have found a way to use the gas tank area for the front batteries so they could keep the front trunk space, a very neat feature of our beloved cars.

Also, concerned about the rearward position of the motor, although this might be offset by the engine bay battery pack.

Obviously, very nice execution of EV conversion, no doubt about it. pray.gif Not sure I am there yet, but as mentioned in other post, maybe in 15-20 years when EV technology will have stabilized. As much as I like the silent no gearshift interrupted acceleration of an EV, I do like the "machine" feel of our IC engines and gearbox. sunglasses.gif

Last, although very fancy, I am not a fan of the all bells and whistles version. Having removed all of the non-functioning power lock and alarm crap that was butchered into my car in the 80-90's by the previous owner, this felt like going back to this bastardization once again... dry.gif

Keep it simple just like the 914 philosophy, basic no luxury. EV, sure why not but spartan.

Cool stuff! smile.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Jun 20 2022, 08:11 PM) *

Thank you for sharing this link. smile.gif

Enjoyed watching it but I wish they would have found a way to use the gas tank area for the front batteries so they could keep the front trunk space, a very neat feature of our beloved cars.

Also, concerned about the rearward position of the motor, although this might be offset by the engine bay battery pack.

Obviously, very nice execution of EV conversion, no doubt about it. pray.gif Not sure I am there yet, but as mentioned in other post, maybe in 15-20 years when EV technology will have stabilized. As much as I like the silent no gearshift interrupted acceleration of an EV, I do like the "machine" feel of our IC engines and gearbox. sunglasses.gif

Last, although very fancy, I am not a fan of the all bells and whistles version. Having removed all of the non-functioning power lock and alarm crap that was butchered into my car in the 80-90's by the previous owner, this felt like going back to this bastardization once again... dry.gif

Keep it simple just like the 914 philosophy, basic no luxury. EV, sure why not but spartan.

Cool stuff! smile.gif

was intrigued to see "classic" version was rhd. paused the video to look into the space where the fuel tank was. proper conversion with firewall mods. wonder if the car was converted a long time back. in australia? imported to england at some point after?

re weight distribution of batteries and motor. might handle like something closer to 924 or boxster with weight out past the axle lines to curb low polar moment of intertia thrills of the 914? be interesting to drive it and see.
VaccaRabite
That must be @moggy right? Cool. Its good to know what happened to him, as he has not logged in here in years. In the video they mentioned crashing the 914 rally car into a pole at 80mph on stage - I wonder if that's when he left.

I'm sure its a ton of money, and the interior looks odd without the shifter, but I'd love to do one of those someday. And I guess if I stay in the hobby another 20 years the electric conversions are only going to get better.

Zach
mepstein
As more Tesla’s and other electric cars get damaged and worn, we should see more used parts available for hobby conversions. The used (air cooled) 911 engine market is going the other direction. Inventory is scarce and going up in price.
gandalf_025
I watched a YouTube video a few months ago where a guy in
New Hampshire bought a Tesla that had been crashed lightly in the front.
He bought it at auction and fixed it himself..
Somehow Tesla found out about him and turned off the “fast charge” feature
on the car.. He was forced to charge it on a 110 volt charger and it took about 12 hours
to fully charge the car.. Tesla claimed they didn’t want unsafe cars on the road and since they didn’t fix it, they couldn’t be sure the car was safe..
mepstein
QUOTE(gandalf_025 @ Jun 22 2022, 01:08 PM) *

I watched a YouTube video a few months ago where a guy in
New Hampshire bought a Tesla that had been crashed lightly in the front.
He bought it at auction and fixed it himself..
Somehow Tesla found out about him and turned off the “fast charge” feature
on the car.. He was forced to charge it on a 110 volt charger and it took about 12 hours
to fully charge the car.. Tesla claimed they didn’t want unsafe cars on the road and since they didn’t fix it, they couldn’t be sure the car was safe..

Just ask a farmer about the right to repair act. Many automakers are working on ways to keep independent shops and consumers from working on and modifying their own vehicles.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 21 2022, 03:31 PM) *

was intrigued to see "classic" version was rhd. paused the video to look into the space where the fuel tank was. proper conversion with firewall mods. wonder if the car was converted a long time back.

Crayford's did a dozen or a dozen and a half of them back in the 70s. The cost of conversion on top of the cost of the car made them more expensive than 911s of the time, which were available in RHD.

Other conversions were done onesy-twosey, including in Oz. But it's more likely that an RHD is either one of the old Crayford's one, or was done when the car was imported from an LHD country (like the US, where most 914s seem to be imported from).

--DD
wonkipop
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 22 2022, 10:25 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 21 2022, 03:31 PM) *

was intrigued to see "classic" version was rhd. paused the video to look into the space where the fuel tank was. proper conversion with firewall mods. wonder if the car was converted a long time back.

Crayford's did a dozen or a dozen and a half of them back in the 70s. The cost of conversion on top of the cost of the car made them more expensive than 911s of the time, which were available in RHD.

Other conversions were done onesy-twosey, including in Oz. But it's more likely that an RHD is either one of the old Crayford's one, or was done when the car was imported from an LHD country (like the US, where most 914s seem to be imported from).

--DD

yes,
i've seen a crayfords conversion up close and personal.

don't think the one in the clip is one. crayfords mods were pretty rough down in there where the firewall mod was done. they also cut a groove through the upper firewall for the steering wheel shaft clearance (kind of an eye popping hair raising detail in terms of execution that was a bit of an insight into 70s english craftsmanship!) - the cut groove got a crude pop rivetted cover. i couldn't see that giveway when i was looking at the empty area.

probably a good thing a crayfords car didn't get hacked for an ev conversion.
i reckon there is less than half of the original 11 left.
2 still down here.
they are historically of interest and some importance.
eyecolor
I had my 914 upgraded from 8 -12 volt batteries to tesla modules about 2 years ago.

We only used 50% of those in the video (cost!!) but the fabricator was able to place them above the electric motor so I still have both trunks.

The transmission is being repaired by our Forum buddy Mark Epstein and I hope to use it as a daily driver again , other than the winter.

Accelation is very good but not Tesla-like. It has a DC motor not AC.
Range more limited due to cost.
Very inexpensive to run with easy charging at home on a 220 volt line.

George Ozer
Wilmington,DE

flipb
QUOTE(eyecolor @ Jun 30 2022, 01:36 PM) *

I had my 914 upgraded from 8 -12 volt batteries to tesla modules about 2 years ago.

We only used 50% of those in the video (cost!!) but the fabricator was able to place them above the electric motor so I still have both trunks.

The transmission is being repaired by our Forum buddy Mark Epstein and I hope to use it as a daily driver again , other than the winter.

George Ozer
Wilmington,DE

Would love to see it up close some time, since we're in the same general vicinity. As you can see in my signature, it's close to my interests.
eyecolor
QUOTE(flipb @ Jun 30 2022, 11:55 AM) *

QUOTE(eyecolor @ Jun 30 2022, 01:36 PM) *

George Ozer
Wilmington,DE

Would love to see it up close some time, since we're in the same general vicinity. As you can see in my signature, it's close to my interests.

It would be my honor. If you come up this way let me know. Unfortunatley I don't have an extension cord to reach Virginia yet

George

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.