Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 tranny guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
does the stock speedo work after switching to the 915 gearbox?
RON S.
In a word,NO.

I don't know what type of 915 conversion kit your using.

I converted my trans using a vellios kit.

I had to get a early 915 from cover,with the speedo gear in it,remove the pieces,then machine the vellios cover to accept them.

I then aquired a 7.31 r&p gears and installed cause the speedo gear is already on the end of the pinion shaft.
Next up was the speedo cable.It is now to short,cause the output is now at the rear of the trans.

So,I had N.Hollywood speedo make me an 8"longer speedo cable,and joined 2 90 degree output drives back to back,to make it 180 degrees of bend ,then attached the cable,and everything works fine.

The only other solution is to convert to an electric speedo.

I don't know how or if the Wevo kit solves this problem cause i haven't seen one up close yet.

A 915 box will require some work either way though.

Ron
michel richard
What's involved in converting to an electric speedo ?
ClayPerrine
If you get the later 915 tranny, the electronic speedo is easy. When you flip the ring and pinion, install new bearings. On the side of the differental opposite the ring gear there is a disk with some magnets in it. It has to be moved over to the back side of the ring gear. But be careful. You have to make sure that the disk and shim thickness doesn't change on each side's bearing. Otherwise the ring gear will not correctly mesh with the pinion, and your tranny will howl like a bunch of weiner dogs!

Then you have to run a pair of shielded wires from the tranny to the back of the speedo. You then add a power wire to run the speedo, and you are done.

Easy, No?

flesburg
Why do you need a speedometer?

You never look at it anyway, and if a passenger is with you, they can not look at it an give you hell for going too fast!

And if someone asks how fast you are going, you can always smile and say "pretty fast".

And if someone asks, where is your speedometer, you can smile and say "we don need no stinging speedometer!" but you have to say it in spanish for it to be funny. One liner from some movie "badges!, we don't need no stinking badges", but alzheimers has set in and I cannot remember the name of the movie.

Besides, it will cost a ton of money, and add a ton of weight, and make you go slower!

I took mine out when I put in the 915 for all of the above reasons except that I used to look at it once in awhile. Now I don't.
flesburg
see
GeorgeRud
I just did the conversion with the Vellios kit. The hardest part is getting the sensor to pick up the magnetic signal off the ring gear. We had to machine the side cover and mount the pickup, get an electronic speedometer, etc. A lot of hassle, though it does work well now.

It may be easier to just go for the GPS speedometer and be done with it.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (flesburg @ Aug 4 2005, 01:54 PM)
One liner from some movie "badges!, we don't need no stinking badges", but alzheimers has set in and I cannot remember the name of the movie.

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre"
Humphrey Bogart.
SteveSr
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 4 2005, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (flesburg @ Aug 4 2005, 01:54 PM)
One liner from some movie "badges!, we don't need no stinking badges", but alzheimers has set in and I cannot remember the name of the movie.

"Treasure of the Sierra Madre"
Humphrey Bogart.

And then later spoofed in "Blazing Saddles"

SteveSr
John
Bro,

A speedo can be made to work with any 915 gearbox (it may take a different speedo or some money and custom cabling).

Dad,

Nice reflection of mom and her digital Leica in the Tach. How come all those gauges are turned like that? Can't you get them in there straight?

I just had to chime in to prove how dysfunctional my family is. All three of us writing in this thread instead of TALKING to each other.
flesburg
Johnman,

I can never catch you on the phone,

and don't ask me why the guages are all cocked like that, you put them in that way.

Really I sent the picture so someone would ask about the camera.

A whole family full of 914 nuts, the disease is genetic, or at least contagious!

Maltese Falcon
We had to machine the side cover a couple of times (thinner) in order to get the OE speedo sender to "Read" the magnets, My machinist (of course a German named Dieter), made a new circular plate with new magnets pressed/ epoxied in place. The magnetic polarity needed to be kept correct also.
Rich- that was a great Bogart film, John Houston / Director (also had a cameo role) directed his dad Walter --the spirited old gold miner.
Maltese Falcon -no relation to Sydney Greenstreet biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.