Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - for network IT maniacs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
we need a new server for a really small network (3 PC's), it is a running a billing application.

right now it runs just fine on an old 500mhz box with NT4.0

when I priced the dell servers, even the most basic server only comes with the $500 windows 2003 small business server edition

can't we just run XP pro for a small network like this?
bd1308
depends on what you need.

if you can live with a peer-to-peer networked system, then XP would be fine

if you need a system with the ability to establish a domain and authenticate users and such, then you need 2003 small server edition.
Eddie Williams
really depends on your billing application. If you need SQl or Exchange, SBS is a real bargain. But if you don't need MS SQL for your app, I'd go with linux. Again it all hinges on what your app requires?
bd1308
linux does SQL stuff....

I use it for my forum.

linux is good.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (Eddie Williams @ Aug 4 2005, 08:20 AM)
really depends on your billing application. If you need SQl or Exchange, SBS is a real bargain. But if you don't need MS SQL for your app, I'd go with linux. Again it all hinges on what your app requires?

agree.gif

but even windows 2000 will do what most places need... it doesn't sound like you need all the extras that SBS has though... if there's only 3 computers and the app is running on NT 4 now... I'm sure XP or 2000 will work fine too.
tdgray
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 4 2005, 09:26 AM)
linux does SQL stuff....

I use it for my forum.

linux is good.

Your Forum?

I thought it was down... or was it up. I can't remember rolleyes.gif
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 4 2005, 07:26 AM)
linux does SQL stuff....

I use it for my forum.

linux is good.

I guess I should have prefaced that with M$SQL. If it's an open app, yes Virginia Linux does SQL too.
TravisNeff
Are you asking what you should use for hardware or OS, both?

For your application a standard desktop CPU will work great, you can run peer to peer networking just fine with the windows OS installed, life gets easier with Server.

There is nothing stopping you from installing NT Server on a desktop computer. That is what I would suggest.
Dr. Roger
If you have an old Dell w/NT4, anything new is going to stomp that old thing in the area of performance. We've been using Compaq's for some time now and they seem to be working well. Dell also has a good reputation.

XP Pro is a great OSystem for networking as long as you run a firewall. MS's Server software is good too. I run Win2000 Advanced Server and do some Domain stuff and I have not been let down. There are min requirements for RAM and HDD space.

Unless you want a larger $ hardware upgrade to go hot swapable drives (redundant mirrored) for greater uptime.

Sounds like a new P4 desktop is fine. Find one that has great ventilation due to higher temps cuz of higher speed processors... Mine sounds like a shop vac but does everything I can throw at it. Video editing..... LIl 2.4 Athalon processor overclocked w/huge sink and fans setup.
machina
alot of this stuff is over my head. SBS is really only a couple hundred dollars more than XP Pro so I guess we'll just go with it, the software specs actually call for it but do say that XP will work.

thanks to the brain trust as always,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.