Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Embarrassed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,

I have watched Ian's valve geometry video many times. Thank you Ian.

I have my side to side movement on the valve train set with .004mm of movement and things lined up very nicely. Even ordered some shims from Tabari to help.

Now comes the part that just isn't working for me and must be some type of simple oversight on my part.

I know in the video they start with the adjustable pushrod and .271mm in length and then work from there.

My cam grind also has me at a .426mm lift for intake.

I even purchased the digital dial and arm mechanism Ian uses in his video.

I am working off of the intake cylinder 1.

Here's the crazy part: When I turn my motor manually the mic shows a travel of over 1.0300mm? I do rotate my drive shaft 360 degrees twice in order to get this measurement. The first 360 degree rotation I barely get any movement, the second 360 degree movement back to TDC is what really moves the dial and I end up at over 1,000mm which really sends me for a loop. I am more than double the travel that Ian has got and the recommended travel.

WTF.gif confused24.gif headbang.gif

I am super perplexed? I know it has to be user error and there is just no way it could be so far off.

I would appreciate all input and recommendations.

Thanks much,

Gary
sportlicherFahrer
Have you tried measuring the lift in thousands of an inch? Pushrod length is usually measured in mm, and the lift measured in inches.

Also, the rocker sideplay should be .005 inch as well.
Wew
QUOTE(sportlicherFahrer @ Jun 22 2022, 11:42 AM) *

Have you tried measuring the lift in thousands of an inch? Pushrod length is usually measured in mm, and the lift measured in inches.

Also, the rocker sideplay should be .005 inches as well.

Oh my.... This may be the simple solution I needed. idea.gif pray.gif

Thank you. When I get home this evening I will make the change on the mic when I do the lift measurement in inches.

Thank you much.

Message received on the sidepaly of .005 inches as well.

Sucking at math has really come back to bite me hard when it comes to engine building.

This forum is my savior and has helped me from grenading my engine a few times.

Thanks again,

Gary
sportlicherFahrer
Worked through a few "user issues" on my valve train recently as well. biggrin.gif Hope you're able to get it dialed in as quick as they make it look in the videos! aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Wew @ Jun 22 2022, 11:33 AM) *

My cam grind also has me at a .426mm lift for intake.

Are you sure it is 0.426mm? That's an awful lot of precision, and a pretty small number. We are much more used to seeing cam lift numbers in inches, which are 25.4 times as large as millimeters.

--DD
stownsen914
The lift at valve is almost certainly .426" (not .426 mm).

I'm not quite following what the 1 mm measurement is. Can you post a pic of your measuring setup?
Wew
You are all correct.

I had my dial set at millimeters.

Measuring the pushrod prior was in mm so I "ASSumed" it was a mm measurement for the lift.

WRONG! chair.gif

Now that I am straightened out proper I will address the lift and the side to side play on the rockers at inches.

Thank you much everyone and hope to have this completed by the end of the weekend.

Thanks again!!

Gary
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.