Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tool Bag/Shift Knob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
Looking for a few final bits to make my car 100% original. Can anyone point me to a source for an original '75 tool kit and shifter knob? Thanks.
930cabman
100% original!! very cool, enjoy in good health

wish I could help, but my garage is filled with mostly crap
wonkipop
QUOTE(Rick986 @ Jun 22 2022, 06:12 PM) *

Looking for a few final bits to make my car 100% original. Can anyone point me to a source for an original '75 tool kit and shifter knob? Thanks.

the "real" original shifter knobs cost a small fortune.
you can get them from porsche.
i think they are period correct though the originals were made of bakerlite.
not sure about the current spare part from porsche.
some other plastic? but correct shape etc.

otherwise go shopping on internet for a good used one.
you will be in competition with early 911 guys.

tool kit was nothing special by 75.
same as 74. cheap and cheerful black plastic bag with an elastic band around it.
its a beetle tool kit.
i think i saw that AA sell a repro toolkit with all correct repro pieces.
you might also be able to source a repro version of the whole thing from various VW internet parts houses too, but i have never looked? because all you are after is a 74 on beetle kit.

or otherwise search to see if someone will sell you a good condition original.

EDIT
auto atlanta
http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Tool-Ki...411012021B.html
dunno if strictly correct as mine has a screwdriver with a white handle not black.
and i know mine is original and came with car all those years ago.
but maybe there were kits with black handle version.
some-one here would know.
Cairo94507
Yes, the shift knob is available new from Porsche. It is about $160 if I recall once they apply all of the usual discounts. Your car definitely warrants a new one. beerchug.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Rick986 @ Jun 22 2022, 05:12 PM) *

The 75 tool bag is a black plastic bag. I think i have one.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we have them both, actually had to have the original late 73-76 tool bags made as Porsche vw discontinued them, of course they were nothing special, just a heavy black plastic bag with a black rubber band

QUOTE(Rick986 @ Jun 22 2022, 05:12 PM) *

nathanxnathan
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jun 23 2022, 06:09 AM) *

Yes, the shift knob is available new from Porsche. It is about $160 if I recall once they apply all of the usual discounts. Your car definitely warrants a new one. beerchug.gif

The new ones I think are regular plastic vs the original Bakelite though. :/
TJB/914
biggrin.gif Rick986

Take a look at my tool stash & let me know if your interested in any thing you see.
Mostly original tools & stuff like 914, 911, 944 & beyond.
Tool kits are getting difficult to source and $pricey unsure.gif
Best option is to source piece by piece with vendors mentioned here on 914-World
My stuff starts about $20, mostly $50 and maybe $100 for good tools.

Tom Michigan
Mikey914
The new knobs are not even close to the OEM. The good news is most of the cracks can be polished out. Should be able to pick up a one to restore for less than $50.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.