Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can a gas tank be restored?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DC_neun_vierzehn
Question for the 914 veterans ...

My mechanic told me to start looking for a solid used tank (based off of his inspection of the inside of my tank). Told me if we were going to move forward with our planned engine rebuild we should replace the tank, too.

Since it's a matching #s car ('73 2.0) he suggested finding a solid used tank (instead of an aftermarket tank like the Dansk option).

I thought I had read in other threads (and I tried to search before posting w/o any success) that others had taken their tank to a radiator shop to have it boiled and refinished on the inside (or something like that). Pardon my ignorance here friends - I'm still learning.

If I don't want to go aftermarket ... what are my option on replacing my tank?

Thanks in advance.
mepstein
There are very few places on the east coast that boil out tanks. Some of them put a big hole in the tank and then weld it shut. I would either diy or buy new.
SKL1
I believe there are franchise places like Gas Tank Renu that can save old tanks. Unless it is really bad for some reason it should be saveable.
Dave_Darling
Anything can be done, if you have a supply of cutoff wheels and a welder. All it takes is time, effort, and money.

If there are lots of pinholes (they like to collect where the tank rests on the felt pads in the compartment, among other places) it can cost rather more to repair and then treat the tank than it costs to replace. And unless even more care and work go into the repairs, many of them will be noticeable.

--DD
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 23 2022, 12:13 AM) *

Anything can be done, if you have a supply of cutoff wheels and a welder. All it takes is time, effort, and money.

--DD

Please make sure you know what you're doing before cutting & welding on gas tanks lest you have a very exciting day.
Steve
Why, when you can buy a new one? Not worth the hassle.
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 23 2022, 06:38 AM) *

@Steve as stated in my original post ... looking to keep the car as original as possible. I'm only aware of aftermarket tanks. Do you know where I can find a new original (NOS) tank?

If not, that's the "why."
Steve
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jun 23 2022, 06:55 AM) *

@Steve as stated in my original post ... looking to keep the car as original as possible. I'm only aware of aftermarket tanks. Do you know where I can find a new original (NOS) tank?

The Dansk tank is identical to the original.
https://www.jpgroupclassic.com/product?ID=1615600600
But beware there are early and late tanks. The first Dansk tanks had issues, but they fixed them. Problem is some shops might still have the messed up tanks in stock. As far as I know AA stocks both of the corrected versions. I installed one in a 75 914 from Sierra Madre. It was identical to the one we pulled out. The messed up tanks were missing the expansion chamber and charcoal canister mounts.

Depending how bad the tank is they can be restored. I bought a used tank from BDStone914 on 914world, that he cleaned out. I then bought a tank sealer from stoddard. This was ten years ago before Dansk started making new tanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
not worth it these days the new dansk tanks are cheap
mgphoto
I recently restored the tank and surrounding area.

Click to view attachment

A local radiator shop with gas tank experience, I checked with the local hot rod guys.

I removed the surface rust and sprayed epoxy primer, I added a silicone sheet to insulate the tank from the body where rubbing has occurred.

Click to view attachment

The difference in price was the cost of the tax on the new tank.
They make a small hole at the top corner, sand blast the internal rust, boil out any contaminates weld up the hole and paint.

I scratched the paint pretty badly when I ran into an issue with the fuel lines being to stiff so I repainted and installed more pliant fuel hose.
914sgofast2
The new tanks being sold by the Sierra Madre Collection are the wrong ones for our cars. I am returning one that I bought last month because it lacks the mounting tabs for the fuel vapor return system tank and cannister used on my 1970 model year, inspite of their website saying that one tank fits all years! Anyone know which reputable vendor sells the correct repro tanks? I am very disappointed that Dansk is making shoddy fuel tanks.
Steve
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Jun 23 2022, 04:04 PM) *

The new tanks being sold by the Sierra Madre Collection are the wrong ones for our cars. I am returning one that I bought last month because it lacks the mounting tabs for the fuel vapor return system tank and cannister used on my 1970 model year, inspite of their website saying that one tank fits all years! Anyone know which reputable vendor sells the correct repro tanks? I am very disappointed that Dansk is making shoddy fuel tanks.

I think they are selling the 75/76 version. I bought one from them and it was exact to my old 75 tank.
wonkipop
later tank not strictly 75/76.
but PET catalogue gives the wrong point for the fuel tank changeover .
it notes end of the 73 model year for change to plastic expansion chamber.
not correct.
plastic expansion chamber introduced at some point after/around the middle towards the end of 74 model year.
someone here probably knows exact date.
later style tank set up for the plastic expansion chamber starts at that point.

not meaning to get esoteric, but we stumbled into discovery with recent 74 1.8 L jet research that there is a tank in between the earlier and later.
but its very minor and barely noticeable.
for 74 model year cars after nov 30 1973 (when charcoal can goes to engine bay) and up to point where plastic expansion tank is introduced.
has the metal expansion tank mount but slot for the charcoal can mount is not there. blink.gif

don't think dansk make that version. lost to the mists of time! biggrin.gif

none of that is in the PET but its there in the real cars.
beer.gif
DC_neun_vierzehn
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2022, 09:00 AM) *

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

George, do you sell the Dansk replacement tank for a '73? The only one I saw on your site was for '74.5 - '76.

Auto Atlanta
wonkipop
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jun 23 2022, 08:12 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 23 2022, 09:00 AM) *

@dr914 @autoatlanta.com

George, do you sell the Dansk replacement tank for a '73? The only one I saw on your site was for '74.5 - '76.

Auto Atlanta

go here
click on 1

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-parts/h...;section=201-00
bkrantz
I had my tank "boiled out" at a shop in Tucson. They did not make a hole, but found a thin spot (from a local bit of rust on the outside) and welded that.

And they were very against any interior coating.
Van B
QUOTE(DC_neun_vierzehn @ Jun 23 2022, 09:55 AM) *

Not even remotely worth it IMO. You need to dump that supposition. You don’t keep the original oil filter, fuel filter, brake discs, pads, spark plugs, points, condenser, clutch, flywheel, tires, oil seals, vacuum hoses, or fuel hoses. So, if that tank is worn out and rusted, get a new one!

Mine is still solid but has a layer of rust throughout and I’ll be getting a new one. With the original expansion tank on the top, no one will ever know.
Eric_Shea
Dansk makes them in early and late configurations. Just boiling them out at a tank shop is more than the new ones cost. Spend your hard earned dollars elsewhere.
BillJ
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 25 2022, 10:16 PM) *

Dansk makes them in early and late configurations. Just boiling them out at a tank shop is more than the new ones cost. Spend your hard earned dollars elsewhere.

Exactly. I ran into the same issue with one of my cars. You need to specify which year and Dansk does make each version with correct tabs. I did get the wrong one at first and they quickly sent me the right one after speaking to them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.