Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 CV joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TonyH
Good afternoon everyone,

I have just checked the CV joints on my 1975 ex California car and one joint has been assembled the wrong way round and worn badly.

I therefore need to replace this inner cv joint.

Does anyone know if the Porsche part number 914 332 029 03 is interchangeable with any VW part.

Thanks in advance.

Tony
rgalla9146

A beetle CV can be modified to work on our cars.
Suppliers here sell them already done.
Porsche sells only complete driveshaft assemblies.
914Sixer
Your part number is actually for the 914-6 axle, it will not go on because it is 28 spline not 33 for the 914-4,
bdstone914
QUOTE(TonyH @ Jun 23 2022, 03:09 AM) *

Good afternoon everyone,

I have just checked the CV joints on my 1975 ex California car and one joint has been assembled the wrong way round and worn badly.

Does anyone know if the Porsche part number 914 332 029 03 is interchangeable with any VW part.

Thanks in advance.

Tony

The VW bug joint can be adapted but it does not gave the two 10mm holes for the roll pin. Nor does it have the recess for the gasket. Check with OMB Performance. I think they were modifying the bug joints. Or buy a complete axle.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no unique to the four, the original six was different though. different spline count. We have both rebuilt and also have complete axles rebuilt

QUOTE(TonyH @ Jun 23 2022, 03:09 AM) *

Good afternoon everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Tony

nathanxnathan
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 23 2022, 05:12 AM) *

Your part number is actually for the 914-6 axle, it will not go on because it is 28 spline not 33 for the 914-4,

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 23 2022, 07:41 AM) *

The VW bug joint can be adapted but it does not gave the two 10mm holes for the roll pin. Nor does it have the recess for the gasket. Check with OMB Performance. I think they were modifying the bug joints. Or buy a complete axle.

It's weird the PET only lists the 914 332 029 03 part number, and says it's for 914-4's, doesn't list a version for the 914-6 at all. I believe you, of course. There was a thread on it here just last week.

Does the complete axle, like the one auto atlanta sells have 914-4 cv joints or are they the 914--6 joints?
914werke
I have them "machined" & ready to go HERE bye1.gif
TonyH
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 23 2022, 09:11 AM) *

Thank you very much everyone, that really is giving me food for thought.

Ever hopeful I have been trying to buy a replacement here in Europe. The cost of shipping from the US, then paying import duty and tax on the import duty really hurts!!!

It seems barmy, the 914 was built in Germany but I can only find reasonable parts in the good old US.

I will scratch my head and see if that helps.

Thanks again for all your trouble.

Tony
brant
QUOTE(TonyH @ Jun 23 2022, 09:56 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 23 2022, 09:11 AM) *

Thank you very much everyone, that really is giving me food for thought.

Ever hopeful I have been trying to buy a replacement here in Europe. The cost of shipping from the US, then paying import duty and tax on the import duty really hurts!!!

It seems barmy, the 914 was built in Germany but I can only find reasonable parts in the good old US.

I will scratch my head and see if that helps.

Thanks again for all your trouble.

Tony

Tony,

I wonder if you should consider buying the bug CV in Europe and then having the small amount of machining needed... having that also performed in Europe. to save on shipping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.