Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trunk "pocket"?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Archie
Hi all,

Does anybody know what this "pocket" in the right rear of the front trunk lid is/was for? Also, are there any tips or tricks I should know about putting a stainless sleeve on the worn part of the shifter rod? I presume that it's a machine shop job and has to be shrunk on? Thanks for both.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
dlee6204
The theory I've heard is the inner structure was designed when there was going to be a fuel door in the hood and the "pocket" was to accommodate that. The fuel door was later axed in the design phase but the feature in the inner structure remained.
Robarabian
My hypothesis on the shift rod sleeve is... you would cut off the end after indexing its location for reattachment. Remove it. Press on a sleeve you believe is the right dimension. Weld on the end you cut off.

That being said, it looks like the powder coat layer is worn off.. maybe just have it re-powder coated to bring it back into spec? A micrometer would tell you...
StarBear
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Jun 23 2022, 08:19 PM) *

The theory I've heard is the inner structure was designed when there was going to be a fuel door in the hood and the "pocket" was to accommodate that. The fuel door was later axed in the design phase but the feature in the inner structure remained.

Yep. A similar thread a few months ago. That’s the consensus.
SirAndy
QUOTE(StarBear @ Jun 23 2022, 06:22 PM) *

Here is the 914.006 prototype with the fuel door that never made it to production:
StarBear
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 23 2022, 10:58 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Jun 23 2022, 06:22 PM) *

Here is the 914.006 prototype with the fuel door that never made it to production:

NEAT! An archive keeper.
Arno914
@Archie :
My shift rod looks the same. Powder coating worn off and maybe some metal, too.
I wouldn´t worry too much, unless it is really out of round.
Get someone with a lathe to machine a new Nylon bushing that fits snug. Job done. Some clearance seems to be necessary anyways.
I replaced all bushings on my tailshifter with good-fit selfmade ones. Huge difference in shifting! No need to convert to side shifter.
The bushing in the rear firewall is somewhat a pita to get in (cut grooves like a crown to be able to press it in). Well worth the effort.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
dr914@autoatlanta.com
yup and yup
Archie
Many thanks to all for responding, and following on from the shifter rod topic, what is the consensus on the aftermarket bronze bushing replacements - like George sells - for the the OEM plastic thingies. Don't they contribute more wear to the shaft?
Archie
QUOTE(Arno914 @ Jun 24 2022, 06:20 AM) *

@Archie :
My shift rod looks the same. Powder coating worn off and maybe some metal, too.
I wouldn´t worry too much, unless it is really out of round.
Get someone with a lathe to machine a new Nylon bushing that fits snug. Job done. Some clearance seems to be necessary anyways.
I replaced all bushings on my tailshifter with good-fit selfmade ones. Huge difference in shifting! No need to convert to side shifter.
The bushing in the rear firewall is somewhat a pita to get in (cut grooves like a crown to be able to press it in). Well worth the effort.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Great advice, Arno! Thank you! I shouldn't concern myself with the aftermarket bonze bushings, then?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Archie @ Jul 7 2022, 08:05 PM) *

Great advice, Arno! Thank you! I shouldn't concern myself with the aftermarket bonze bushings, then?

As far as i know, there are no bronze bushings for the firewall. Only for the pedal cluster and the rear where the shift rod connects to the transmission console.

All the firewall bushings i have seen were made of plastic.
popcorn[1].gif
Mikey914
Or just buy the bushing with the groves in it. My 72 shifts well and in my opinion gets a bad rap because many folks don’t replace the bushings. Do them all, and they will make a huge difference. The factory knew what they were doing.

https://914rubber.com/tail-shift-rod-bushin...-tunnel-for-914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.