Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air Intake Box Drain?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick986
Had my car at the shop a few weeks ago and was hit with a pop-up shower while parked outside. Now, every once in awhile...a drop of water hits my leg while driving! It's definitely water as there's no odor/color...and the windshield washer tank has been empty forever.

I can't isolate where it's coming from and it only happens sporadically - just a drop or two. So the only guess I have right now is that water got in through the exterior intake and is sitting in there someplace. So, should that thing have a drain somewhere...besides under the dash, next to the fuse panel??? (no current problem with electronics)

Thanks guys...
jrmdir
There are two 1 1/4" drain hoses connected to both front lower corners of the fresh air box. You can see the tops of them behind the fuel tank IIRC.

They join together with a T and exit as a single line through the bottom of the fuel tank well on the passenger side.

If they are both completely blocked I assume water could spill over into the inside of the car but can't quite picture where and how from memory. Maybe through the corrugated paper blower outlets?

Others will hopefull have more experience.

Regards,

Ron
nathanxnathan
It seems to me that even if the blower were to overflow with water it would drain to the slope below the cowl behind the fuel tank and go under the fuel tank. There aren't many places for it to get through

IPB Image

IPB Image

Here's an image of the drain tubes though

IPB Image

Maybe it's getting under the windshield and behind the dash?
wonkipop
possibly dripping out of the heater (fresh air) vents that are under dash and direct warm air at your feet?

these are the lowest point in the ducting after the blower box.

the blower box probably has blocked drain tubes or partially blocked or did not drain fast enough in rain storm and then some water might have run down the cardboard tube ducts to the splitter valves where its been sitting. from there it can drip out.

do you have your heater vents opened under there. one of the sliders on the dashboard vent control controls diversion of air either to those vents or to the dashboard vents.
you probably have it closed but the water occasionally manages to drip out past the flap.

if it was opened fully it might have let a good bit of water in during the rainstorm.
but instead maybe a bit of water managed to pool in there and is still trying to get out.

just a guess.

Click to view attachment
Rick986
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jun 27 2022, 04:50 PM) *

possibly dripping out of the heater (fresh air) vents that are under dash and direct warm air at your feet?

these are the lowest point in the ducting after the blower box.

the blower box probably has blocked drain tubes or partially blocked or did not drain fast enough in rain storm and then some water might have run down the cardboard tube ducts to the splitter valves where its been sitting. from there it can drip out.

do you have your heater vents opened under there. one of the sliders on the dashboard vent control controls diversion of air either to those vents or to the dashboard vents.
you probably have it closed but the water occasionally manages to drip out past the flap.

if it was opened fully it might have let a good bit of water in during the rainstorm.
but instead maybe a bit of water managed to pool in there and is still trying to get out.

just a guess.

Click to view attachment

Thanks! This seems like the logical explanation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.